Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rancho diff drop bracket rubbing steering module, popping

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 10:41 PM
I wanna go Fast!

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Question Rancho diff drop bracket rubbing steering module, popping

I am not sure if other lift kits are the same, but my driver's side front diff drop bracket is rubbing my steering module. Is this normal?

I don't know if this is the cause, but my steering has a pop in either direction. It doesn't sound like the steering pop issue in the sticky. This is a single or double pop when I turn my wheel back and forth between 3 o'clock to 9 o'clock.

Anyone else with this issue?

Anyone else lifted have pictures of their driver's side diff drop bracket (preferably Rancho)?

Old 08-25-2014, 12:34 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I am curious about this as well. I am looking to lift in the next month. And I was looking at Rancho.

Is contact with the EPAS common among lift brands? Or is this a poor install?
Old 08-25-2014, 12:58 PM

Received 398 Likes on 344 Posts

you wouldn't think it should be touching. did you unhook your battery when doing the lift. not unhooking it can damage the electronic steering.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:10 PM
I wanna go Fast!

It was installed by a shop who installs for several dealers. When I mentioned to them before hand to disconnect battery or EPAS, he gave me a "no ****, I do this all the time" style answer.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:34 PM

Received 398 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by RichAggie
It was installed by a shop who installs for several dealers. When I mentioned to them before hand to disconnect battery or EPAS, he gave me a "no ****, I do this all the time" style answer.
yeah most places know by now, But it never hurts to let them know.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:45 PM

Received 66 Likes on 43 Posts

There is a casting that sticks out on the diff assembly that needs to be trimmed off if it is too close to the EPAS per the Rancho install instructions . Make sure they trimmed that ear off .

I also wondered about those differential drop brackets being able to keep the Diff assy from torquing . BDS went to the trouble of adding a weld in plate and L bracket to hold it still .

Last edited by Gonkey; 08-25-2014 at 03:11 PM.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:34 PM
I wanna go Fast!

Originally Posted by Gonkey
There is a casting that sticks out on the EPAS that needs to be trimmed off if it is too close per the Rancho install instructions . Make sure they trimmed that ear off .

I also wondered about those differential drop brackets being able to keep the Diff assy from torquing . BDS went to the trouble of adding a weld in plate and L bracket to hold it still .
Where do you see that? I'm looking at the install instructions that are posted on Rancho's site and don't see that note anywhere.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:46 PM

Received 66 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by RichAggie
Where do you see that? I'm looking at the install instructions that are posted on Rancho's site and don't see that note anywhere.
Havent looked since shopping for lifts > they used to have supplemental info at end of instructions for 2011 and later EPAS equipped vehicles .It posted the procedure for unplugging the EPAS had photos and illustrations for clearing the diff and different part numbers for drop brackets and hardware (2011 and later). HTH

Last edited by Gonkey; 08-25-2014 at 03:06 PM.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:55 PM

Received 482 Likes on 354 Posts

DISCLAIMER: I'm not an expert by any means on lift kits ... but in viewing the OP's images, here's what I see ...

Name:  rancho_epas.jpg
Views: 1031
Size:  310.4 KB

Look at the pic above ... within the red oval you can see where the "lip" of the silver cast metal has been "trimmed away" to make room for the drop bracket.

Now, look at where the arrow is pointing ... that appears to be a part of the "working" or "moving" assembly of the steering system. My only worry would be if that is touching the drop-bracket or not. If it's not, you SHOULD be ok ... but if it IS, that's causing extra friction on the EPAS when you're turning ... it's eventually either going to eat into the drop bracket, or the drop bracket is going to wear the edge of that 'wheel' down ...
Old 08-29-2014, 09:55 AM
I wanna go Fast!

My installer got it fixed. He said it was an alignment bolt that had come loose.

I don't know if that was true or he was playing CYA, but either way, it's fixed.

Quick Reply: Rancho diff drop bracket rubbing steering module, popping