Questions about my 14 F150 - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

Go Back   Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Late Model F150s > 2009 - 2014 Ford F150
Log In 


Questions about my 14 F150

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-21-2014, 04:03 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 22
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Questions about my 14 F150

I recently purchased a new 14 F150 SCREW 157" 4x4 EB. A few things after having her a couple weeks. (3.31 rear end )

First off mileage, averaging around 16mpg mixed with mostly city driving. ( average I guess? )

Towing was abysmal. Plenty of power, I could pull my 8K lb TT uphill at pretty much any speed that was sane. Mileage however averaged about 7.5 equal to or maybe even a hair less than my old F350 2v V10. Felt stronger than my old truck but the mileage

Maybe it'll get better with a few thousand miles???

Now on to the other issue. It seems when it's getting started pulling I can feel an ever so slight shake as it gets up from a stop to around 10-15 or so mph when slowly accelerating. I dont recall ever feeling this on my F350. Normal or ?

Also when driving slow speed with my TT behind I could hear a loud hiss from up front, was this possibly just the fan or ??


Outside this, the truck is amazing. I cant believe how quiet and comfortable this truck is.

This is only my 2nd F150 the first being a 92 ( loved that truck ) It does seem though that the door skins and tailgate must be made of some awfully thin sheet metal, alot of flex and much more so than I remember on my other trucks. Only my old Tacoma had as much sheet metal flex. I imagine this is wieght savings but a costco parking lot left me a ding in my tailgate already. That'll **** a guy off lemme tell ya. A week old truck with a dent ..... Dammit. I'll be calling a PDR guy for that one.


One more thing, I bought the E locker rear end. I assume when it's not active it's just an open diff or is it an LS ? I used the E locker backing up my TT up loose dirt hill in a remote campground and it works beautifully.

Thanks for any help fellas.
mark1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join F150 Forum

Join F150Forum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford F150 fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford F150 Fans to meet online.
Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Ford F150 fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your F150 you'll find that F150Forum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join F150Forum.com Today! - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE


-->
Old 07-21-2014, 04:25 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 291
Thanked 49 Times in 38 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1969 View Post
I recently purchased a new 14 F150 SCREW 157" 4x4 EB. A few things after having her a couple weeks. (3.31 rear end )

First off mileage, averaging around 16mpg mixed with mostly city driving. ( average I guess? )
Mileage will get marginally better. The EB marketing doesn't live up to owners expectations across all owners. Some have fantastic mileage though like you mine is on the lower percentile MPG of all owners.

Quote:
Towing was abysmal. Plenty of power, I could pull my 8K lb TT uphill at pretty much any speed that was sane. Mileage however averaged about 7.5 equal to or maybe even a hair less than my old F350 2v V10. Felt stronger than my old truck but the mileage
This is standard course from my experience. A smaller engine pulling the same load seems to get worse mileage. Got to be some point of diminishing return aspect here. Plus with the the addition HP your supporting with the EB, it requires more fuel to support. There's something called Brake Specific Fuel Consumption (BSFC) which basically states to support X horsepower requires X amount of fuel. Thus if your using 365HP it's going to take more fuel to support say 310HP.

Quote:
Maybe it'll get better with a few thousand miles???
Yes expect modest improvement in the future.

Quote:
Now on to the other issue. It seems when it's getting started pulling I can feel an ever so slight shake as it gets up from a stop to around 10-15 or so mph when slowly accelerating. I dont recall ever feeling this on my F350. Normal or ?
This is a common issue with the F150 157" wheelbase. Most owners have the condition.

Quote:
Also when driving slow speed with my TT behind I could hear a loud hiss from up front, was this possibly just the fan or ??
That's likely the BOV venting off excess boost from the compressor side of the turbo. Normal functionality.

Quote:
One more thing, I bought the E locker rear end. I assume when it's not active it's just an open diff or is it an LS ?
When not engaged it's an open rear differential. No limited slip feature.
joedotmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 04:35 PM   #3
14 King Ranch Black
 
Spong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Iowegia
Posts: 283
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

So what's the deal with the shudder? I watched the posted video, very strange! Looks almost like the driveshaft warps or something?
__________________
2014 King Ranch Screw-5.0/3.73 LSD- Fully Loaded- Black
2013 Town & Country Limited- Family ride- Grey
2006 Trailblazer LT V8- Many Mods, my Toy- Red Jewel
2005 Buick LaCrosse CXS- Black
2004 Crown Victoria LX Sport- Black-- Died in Fire Jan 15
Spong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 04:41 PM   #4
KAC Shooter
5 Year Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 3,617
Thanks: 0
Thanked 44 Times in 39 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spong View Post
So what's the deal with the shudder? I watched the posted video, very strange! Looks almost like the driveshaft warps or something?
Im going to venture that is is producing a whipping motion due to the length of the driveshaft.
__________________
2013 Ecoboost Black on Black FX2 SCREW
2007 Black on Black SCAB sold 14 Sept 13
1996 Thunderbird LX 14.17@98mph sold 13 Oct 12
Booyah. Stu Scott.
obusnizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 05:04 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 291
Thanked 49 Times in 38 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Drive shaft is longer, two piece design with slip yoke. Somehow the slightly different drivetrain configuration allows an oscillation to be introduced.
joedotmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 05:20 PM   #6
KAC Shooter
5 Year Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 3,617
Thanks: 0
Thanked 44 Times in 39 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedotmac View Post
Drive shaft is longer, two piece design with slip yoke. Somehow the slightly different drivetrain configuration allows an oscillation to be introduced.
Ford had the aame problem with the crown vic and thinderbird. P71 cars got a one piece driveshaft, thunderbird got nothing. Early mark 8's had changes, too.
__________________
2013 Ecoboost Black on Black FX2 SCREW
2007 Black on Black SCAB sold 14 Sept 13
1996 Thunderbird LX 14.17@98mph sold 13 Oct 12
Booyah. Stu Scott.
obusnizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 06:08 PM   #7
14 King Ranch Black
 
Spong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Iowegia
Posts: 283
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Interesting. Glad I didn't get the 6.5' box now! I'm guessing it effects all 157" wheelbase regardless of engine?
__________________
2014 King Ranch Screw-5.0/3.73 LSD- Fully Loaded- Black
2013 Town & Country Limited- Family ride- Grey
2006 Trailblazer LT V8- Many Mods, my Toy- Red Jewel
2005 Buick LaCrosse CXS- Black
2004 Crown Victoria LX Sport- Black-- Died in Fire Jan 15
Spong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 06:17 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Boise, ID
Posts: 182
Thanked 23 Times in 21 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spong View Post
Interesting. Glad I didn't get the 6.5' box now! I'm guessing it effects all 157" wheelbase regardless of engine?
2013 Plat, 5.0, 3.55, 157". Mine has never done that over its first 1 1/2 years.
dosman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 06:27 PM   #9
LONE STAR
 
KILOFINAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,814
Thanked 589 Times in 400 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Hey.......what's with the rusted drive shaft???? I'm bored.....
__________________
2014 Ford F150 STX Sport Reg Cab,Hertz speakers/sub
2012 Ford F150 FX2 Ecoboost

"We come, not to mourn our dead soldiers, but to praise them." -- Francis A. Walker
KILOFINAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:18 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 291
Thanked 49 Times in 38 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosman View Post
2013 Plat, 5.0, 3.55, 157". Mine has never done that over its first 1 1/2 years.
You're lucky. Mine will do it with as little as 300 lbs in the bed. Some are doing it without anything in the bed. The symptom seems to announced itself considerably with a moderate load or tow. Seems to get worse the more it's loaded.
joedotmac is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:52 AM.


Copyright 2006 - 20011 F150forum.com
This site is in no way affiliated with the Ford Motor Company.