Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Program Extra Key???

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Program Extra Key???

hey guys, I did a search, but that yielded no results, so I got a question...

HOW DO YOU PROGRAM A NEW KEY TO YOUR TRUCK?

I notice if you push and hold reset for setup menu it gets me to a screen that says hold reset to program MYKEY... I want to know what I am supposed to do before I go buy a key...

Thanks in advance
Old 02-16-2011, 03:46 PM
Okie Coupe

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

You must have the 2 original keys.
  1. Place one of the existing keys in the ignition switch. Turn the switch from off to run, and back to off. Remove the key.
  2. Place the second existing key in the ignition switch. Turn the switch from off to run, and back to off. Remove the key.
  3. Place the new key in the ignition switch. Turn the switch from off to run, and back to off. Remove the key.
  4. Try to start the engine using the new key. If the engine starts your key has been successfully programmed.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:54 PM

It is highly recommended you have at least three keys. This way, should you lose the third key, you can go to the dealer with the other two keys, have the PATS system's key database cleared, those two keys put in, and you can then add other keys. This way, the lost third key wouldn't give a potential car thief the ability to start the engine.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:10 PM

i believe its in the owners manual?
Old 02-16-2011, 06:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mlts22
It is highly recommended you have at least three keys. This way, should you lose the third key, you can go to the dealer with the other two keys, have the PATS system's key database cleared, those two keys put in, and you can then add other keys. This way, the lost third key wouldn't give a potential car thief the ability to start the engine.
Actually every time you do the 'programming keys' process, the PATS database is cleared. So with three keys you wouldn't need to go to the dealer. The only reason you'd need to go to the dealer is if you had 2 keys and lost one.

Quick Reply: Program Extra Key???