Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems under factory warranty

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 10:55 AM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Problems under factory warranty

Hey guys, I haven't seen much like this and just wanted to know what everyone else was experiencing whilst still under warranty. I bought my 2014 EcoScrew back in Feb; it's now July and have almost 20k miles on it (I commute to work 70+ miles each way) and have come across a couple of issues.

1) Just happened to look at my bumper and noticed little spots on it and peaked underneath. Hmmmm, rear diff is leaking already, awesome. Haven't pulled anything extremely heavy (~4000lbs a couple of months ago), haven't put it under and undue stress (racing), never have taken it off road. Wtf

2) Last 3 commutes (to work x2 and to the house x1) I've smelled something burning. It thought it was a vehicle I was following at first, but this is happening too much. It only happens once I'm at least 50 miles into my trip and it isn't constant. I get no funny noises. It's happened with a/c on and with just the vents on non-a/c. Checked my brakes when I got to work and they aren't unnecessarily hot, e-brake isn't on (had to check), and it seems to be coming from in the engine compartment. Any ideas?

What else have people experienced within factory warranty time-frame? I think it's a bit ridiculous to have ANY issues with a vehicle at 20k miles after how much this thing cost. I guess all brands have them but !
Old 07-23-2015, 01:39 PM
FX4RoadWarrior

Received 494 Likes on 353 Posts

What kind of burning? I had a shopping bag melt onto my exhaust once, took weeks for that thing to burn off
Old 07-23-2015, 01:43 PM

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Burning smell could be the gear oil on the hot exhaust especially if the leak is a pinion seal. Nothing made by man is perfect. Ford will make it good (fix the leak) but it still won't be perfect. Expecting more is not very realistic.
Old 07-23-2015, 06:13 PM

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts

Let's see on our 2014:

3 brakes failures
IWE's replaced twice
Transmission rebuilt
Two vacuum pump replacements
Complete vacuum system replacement (hoses, manifold, etc...)

First 6 months of ownership! Traded in with less then 20K Kms, I think that's around 12K miles.

Just traded it in...on a Nissan. It can't possibly by any worse this this nightmare has been. Oh, and ford customer service basically told me to **** up a rope when I requested they cover depreciation on a replacement f150...no more fords allowed in my driveway.
Old 07-24-2015, 06:54 AM

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Thislilfishy, I think you could have expected, realistically, fewer problems.
Old 07-24-2015, 07:30 AM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by tanked_darren
What kind of burning? I had a shopping bag melt onto my exhaust once, took weeks for that thing to burn off
It smells like burning rubber or plastic. I didn't smell it yesterday on the way home, so that's good news. I'm getting under it this evening for an oil change, I'll get able to look for bags and other fod.

Originally Posted by miniceptor86
Burning smell could be the gear oil on the hot exhaust especially if the leak is a pinion seal. Nothing made by man is perfect. Ford will make it good (fix the leak) but it still won't be perfect. Expecting more is not very realistic.
I agree that nothing is perfect and that I cannot expect them to be. I just seem to get paranoid after one thing happens and I lose a little faith. Hopefully this can get rectified, realize the smell WAS just gear oil hitting the exhaust (it is on that side of the pumpkin, and all will be good. I love my EcoScrew.

Originally Posted by Thislilfishy
Let's see on our 2014:

3 brakes failures
IWE's replaced twice
Transmission rebuilt
Two vacuum pump replacements
Complete vacuum system replacement (hoses, manifold, etc...)

First 6 months of ownership! Traded in with less then 20K Kms, I think that's around 12K miles.

Just traded it in...on a Nissan. It can't possibly by any worse this this nightmare has been. Oh, and ford customer service basically told me to **** up a rope when I requested they cover depreciation on a replacement f150...no more fords allowed in my driveway.
I've been a Ford owner all of my (albeit only been driving for 11 years) life. I believe that if something like this happened to me, I would probably turn Chevy . Sorry about your luck.
Old 07-24-2015, 11:54 AM
5.o Flame Blue STX

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Ive had a lot of problems in my first 15,000 miles...

Under warranty they've replaced...
Transfer Case
Gears
Drivetrain
(many other various 4x4 parts)

Just had an oil change and inspection to check if the new 4x4 system is kicking on all cylinders (thank God it is) and found out the rear shocks already need replaced.

If with the problems, I still love my truck and wouldn't want anything different. Ford has been on top of the problems and does their best to make everything right. They even gave me the PremiumCare Extended Warranty for all the troubles.
Old 07-24-2015, 12:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They gave you a premium care extended warranty. Now that's stepping up. I do not believe that is standard practice.
I have never seen that before. Mind you I don't work in the finance dept (service) so I can't be 100% sure.

Take advantage of it
Old 07-24-2015, 12:35 PM

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Cudos
They gave you a premium care extended warranty. Now that's stepping up. I do not believe that is standard practice.
I have never seen that before. Mind you I don't work in the finance dept (service) so I can't be 100% sure.

Take advantage of it
Yeah, I didn't get crap...just a 'Thanks for all your money!".
Old 07-24-2015, 01:08 PM

Received 613 Likes on 497 Posts

Default Problems under factory warranty

Originally Posted by Thislilfishy
Yeah, I didn't get crap...just a 'Thanks for all your money!".
Yeah you got really messed up luck. Since I've already been a pain in your butt I'm just going to ask. Why you still hanging out in the Ford F-150 forums? Don't Nissan Titans have a friendly forum you could go to? I say move on and enjoy your ride, I'll be doing the same once I get rid of my 14 next year

Quick Reply: Problems under factory warranty