Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Premium 6-CD changer - doesn't sound so...

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Premium 6-CD changer - doesn't sound so...

...premium. Any way to upgrade without ripping out everything? Kind of got spoiled by how the Audiophile sounded in my '04 that I recently traded....I'm assuming there are no simple fixes here, but thought I'd give it a shot.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:22 PM
American Muscle

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Get new speakers would be easiest way.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:34 PM

Is the head unit good enough to power some decent speakers? A few years ago I put some new speakers in my car, but it didn't get much better until I broke down and changed the head unit....

Thanks for your help!
Old 03-09-2009, 05:48 PM
American Muscle

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I put kenwood 5x7 all the way around and tweeters up front and the sound quality was way better than the stock. I only have the basic cd player, not premium or audiophile. Pics are in my albums...
Old 03-31-2009, 01:17 PM

Bare with me because I am a total audio ignard. Did you have the factory tweeters already? If not, how do the aftermarket tweeters connect? Thanks!!
Old 03-31-2009, 07:34 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You don't have to change the head unit to add power adn better sound. Add an aftermarket 4 channel amp. Run the speaker wires from the head unit to line level converters then from the line level converters to the amp (mounted behind/under the rear seat), then between the amp and the speaker leads. I found the door speaker wires coming out of the back of the head unit, then spliced in the line level converters, then you run RCA cable between the line level converters to the amp (input). Then you run speaker wire from the AMP (output) to the individual speakers (using the same path down the center of the floor (under the carpet) as you did to run the wires back to the amp. Then replace the door speakers with better ones and you should have all the power and clarity you need. By using a 4 channel amp, you also retain the L/R balance and F/R Fader controls. I did this with a 2002 Lincoln LS and it was a great sound system after adding the amp/line level converters/upgraded speakers. The line level converters allow you to adjust the overall "loudness" of each speaker. It's been a few years and I'm pretty sure this is how I did it myself - but I double check with a pro as I might be getting something out of sequence....almost forgot...I did installed a remote "amp turn on" sensor that wuld turn the amp on/off when I powered up/down the sound system.

This way you keep the factory look of the headunit, and all it's functionality (inc. the steering wheel controls)...and no one will try and steal a stock head unit.

Quick Reply: Premium 6-CD changer - doesn't sound so...