Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Fold Mirror problem...

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 10:29 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Power Fold Mirror problem...

I have a 2011 Screw Lariat w/ EB. The power fold mirrors are awesome and I have trained myself to fold them in every time I park. The problem is about 3 out of 10 times I unfold them they will stop at about half way unfolded. I have to play with the switch a little to get them to unfold fully. Has anyone else experienced this? Oh, and of course the dealer can't seem to repeat this problem! And I live too far away to go there when it happens to me. I asked the dealer if he can just change them and the answer I get is "we can't do that if they are not broke". WTF? Does he think I am lying about having this problem? Because I just love wasting an entire day at the dealership!
Old 08-29-2011, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a problem with my mirrors too. When they are folded in and I unlock the truck they pop. Apparently the mirrors try to adjust themselves when they are folded in and can't because of the way I have them set and just sit there and pop pop pop... for about 15 seconds. Told the dealer and they supposedly went out and tried on a few new trucks and they all did it.

To me there is a design flaw in the power fold mirrors.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:28 AM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

my 09 has the power fold mirrors and I never had any issues so far. I fold them alot too.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:43 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KS Screw
I have a problem with my mirrors too. When they are folded in and I unlock the truck they pop. Apparently the mirrors try to adjust themselves when they are folded in and can't because of the way I have them set and just sit there and pop pop pop... for about 15 seconds. Told the dealer and they supposedly went out and tried on a few new trucks and they all did it.

I can't remember the thread, but someone pointed out the cause of this issue before. It has to do with your automatic settings. If you've programmed your remote to your seat, mirror, pedals, etc.. settings then you will have this clicking issue with your mirror when you try to remote start or unlock your truck with the mirrors folded in.

Here's the reason why... the mirror tries to adjust to your preset position WHILE IT IS FOLDED when you unlock/start remotely.

This is common if you are a tall driver OR you have your seat in a high position.

Here's they suggest you work around it.... Fold your mirror in and adjust it while it's in that position, making sure the lower portion of the mirror BARELY touches the mirror housing on the door. Then, get in your truck and adjust YOUR SEAT and PEDALS .... but NOT your mirror to a position you find comfortable.

Kinda bass ackwards, I know... but that's the only work around that I've found.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:54 PM

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

My truck had this problem since new. Ford said when the mirror is adjusted for tall drivers, the glass hits the door when folded and knocks it out of its setting.

No matter how I adjust it when I park the truck, next time I unlock the door the memory tries to reset the mirror and it ratchets off the door. Ford plans to patch the software but it's a low priority.

If your mirror does this, call Ford and complain. It might help speed up the fix. My big concern is if the glass breaks, Ford won't stand behind it.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:47 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I like the power-folds and have had no probems, but wish there was a optional setting to auto-fold along with door-locks from the key-fob. It would be a good setting option in the truck computer.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:26 PM

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kingement
I like the power-folds and have had no probems, but wish there was a optional setting to auto-fold along with door-locks from the key-fob. It would be a good setting option in the truck computer.
That wouldn't help me much, the way I use the folding mirrors. I have to fold them in before I can fit through the garage door. Then I can't open them until I have backed out again. I guess my garage builder didn't get the "bigger in Texas" memo.

Trending Topics

Old 01-24-2012, 07:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KS Screw

They didn't fix this for the 2012 models yet. I just deprogrammed the key so it doesn't adjust for driver 1 when I unlock. I'll have to hit the button if someone else has driven the truck.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Mirrors. Did you ever get this resolved.

Originally Posted by akcajunz
I have a 2011 Screw Lariat w/ EB. The power fold mirrors are awesome and I have trained myself to fold them in every time I park. The problem is about 3 out of 10 times I unfold them they will stop at about half way unfolded. I have to play with the switch a little to get them to unfold fully. Has anyone else experienced this? Oh, and of course the dealer can't seem to repeat this problem! And I live too far away to go there when it happens to me. I asked the dealer if he can just change them and the answer I get is "we can't do that if they are not broke". WTF? Does he think I am lying about having this problem? Because I just love wasting an entire day at the dealership!

I am having same issue including the dealer saying he's never heard of the problem. Did you get this resolved?
Old 04-20-2013, 12:50 PM

Received 176 Likes on 138 Posts

Mine does this from time to time also. When I try to unfold them they only go half way out. I have to fold them back in and then out again.

Quick Reply: Power Fold Mirror problem...