Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Potential 5* Customer

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 12:26 AM

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Potential 5* Customer

I've read from plenty of happy customers that the performance is night and day and that the customer service from these guys is 2nd to none.

for those who have used their tunes, or any tune for that matter, is there really any risk to the truck as far as failures? I understand that **** happens, but is it really anything to worry about with these trucks? This is the first vehicle I've ever had that I honestly believe I'll be hanging on to for the long run (5+ years).

And is there any noticeable increase in MPG?
Old 07-29-2015, 12:45 AM
F150 Greenhorn

Received 109 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by txmedic90
I've read from plenty of happy customers that the performance is night and day and that the customer service from these guys is 2nd to none.

for those who have used their tunes, or any tune for that matter, is there really any risk to the truck as far as failures? I understand that **** happens, but is it really anything to worry about with these trucks? This is the first vehicle I've ever had that I honestly believe I'll be hanging on to for the long run (5+ years).

And is there any noticeable increase in MPG?
There's always some risk involved anytime you mess with a vehicle. It's up to you to decide if a mod is worth potentially voiding the warranty. I don't take my truck to the drag strip or off-road. I read several threads on this very topic before I bought my tuner. The powertrain warranty that Stage 3 offers only made my decision easier. I bought the SCT X4. The MPG gain is minimal. The smoother shifting and better acceleration are much more noticeable. I'm only using the canned tunes and I could notice a difference immediately. I also wanted to re-calibrate my speedometer after putting larger tires on (which I was able to do). For $400 this is one of the best mods you can do.

http://www.stage3motorsports.com/Sta...om-Tuning.html
The following users liked this post:
2013Ford (07-29-2015)
Old 07-29-2015, 12:47 AM

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

Definitely Good!
Had the 5 star on my last truck (details in my signature). After all the mods, their tunes were great and was a noticeable difference all the way around. I was very happy with the customer service as well. No hesitation in response to any of my concerns via email. I think you have nothing to worry about and should go for it. Just make sure you fill out everything properly with the right codes and numbers and you'll be GTG.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:23 AM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

I've ran the 5* 91 performance on my last Eco with 35's and on my current Eco on 37's. Truly is a night and day difference. Especially with larger tires. Biggest difference I noticed was the throttle response. Way more impressive. Even with 37's, the 91 performance tune and relatively aggressive driving I went from 10 mpg city without, to 12 mpg with. You can also grab some gapped down spark plugs to help with reliability. Their tunes haven't let me down yet.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:36 AM

Received 884 Likes on 672 Posts

It hurt to go back to stock for a week. Just wasn't the same fun experience. You'll enjoy it.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:05 AM

Thanks guys.

Waiting on the check from canceled gap insurance from my last vehicle then I'll probably order. Pretty sure I can pull this off without the boss lady finding out.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:11 AM
Better OUT then IN

Received 253 Likes on 206 Posts

Default Potential 5* Customer

Originally Posted by txmedic90
...Pretty sure I can pull this off without the boss lady finding out.
Lol...ballsy man.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by justjimmy
Lol...ballsy man.
She can't be mad at something that she can't see.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:04 AM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

I have 5* and MPT custom tunes and all of them rock!!! Before I lifted my truck and put bigger tires on, I was able to achieve 23-25mpg hwy, 2wd, 3:31, 5.0. I was using a 5* 91 octane performance/tow tune.

An ecob won't realize such fuel economy gains but will still be a huge improvement. 5* tunes are a little mild compared to MPT but 1000% better than stock.

(Custom tune required), the canned tunes are junk, and don't bother with any economy tunes.

I haven't bothered to see how economy is now but it's got to be better than stock even with bigger tires and a lift kit.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
I have 5* and MPT custom tunes and all of them rock!!! Before I lifted my truck and put bigger tires on, I was able to achieve 23-25mpg hwy, 2wd, 3:31, 5.0. I was using a 5* 91 octane performance/tow tune.

An ecob won't realize such fuel economy gains but will still be a huge improvement. 5* tunes are a little mild compared to MPT but 1000% better than stock.

(Custom tune required), the canned tunes are junk, and don't bother with any economy tunes.

I haven't bothered to see how economy is now but it's got to be better than stock even with bigger tires and a lift kit.
Just got done looking over MPT and they also have my attention.

Does anyone know how many tunes an SCT can hold? Is it possible to have 5* and MPT tunes on the same device?

Quick Reply: Potential 5* Customer