Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible aftermarket dipstick tube for F150?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 10:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Possible aftermarket dipstick tube for F150?

I am talking to a company that specializes in custom dipstick tubes for racing transmissions. I told them that I absolutely hate the fact that I cant check my transmission fluid on my 6R80 on the fly. Crawling under the truck to check (and worse still, to top up) is not fun. Yes, I realize that its a "sealed" transmission, but I like to change my fluid every year. I have a mity-vac and compressor and can easily suck the fluid up the dipstick tube and do a "drain and refill" type of service without pulling the pan every time.. Getting a leak in the trans, lines or cooler could be a vacation wrecker if you are on the road and cant top up...
So, if this company starts to manufacture and aftermarket full tube and dipstick that would allow you access to the fluid level from the engine compartment, are you interested?

Also, the guy I am dealing with is an ex Ford transmission tech with 30 years experience....

Please dont bash this post with opinions.... I am sure there are others out there who like it just the way it is... This is for people like me that WANT to be able to easily check and top up their trans fluid....
Old 01-26-2015, 06:54 PM
Village Sociopath

Received 10,073 Likes on 6,507 Posts

I think I'd like a better way to check the engine oil on my 5.0. LOL
Old 01-26-2015, 07:06 PM
One Clean Machine

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,350 Posts

Agree, I would like to have the Tranny dipstick... Another thing Ford Skipped on these tducks...
Old 01-26-2015, 07:38 PM
King Hater

Received 872 Likes on 653 Posts

Changing the fluid every year seems excessive. Fluids now a days can take a lot of abuse and dont need to be changed as often. I agree I would like to have a dip stick so I could check the oil but I am not going to go out of my way to add one. I plan on having the truck for 100k miles or less and then trading it in. At my current rate it will take me 14 years.

I will change the fluid when it calls for it and be done with it.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:10 PM

Received 584 Likes on 404 Posts

I would like to be able to check it. I already had a $3500 repair on a car that had a very slow leak that led to a failure. Being able to check the fluid periodically would have helped find it and saved money.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:13 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

More technical than that thou. How are you gonna find the correct level with the stick?

Or will you leave that to the manufacture ?

Also is there a plug on the side to be used for the tube?
Old 01-26-2015, 08:19 PM

Received 584 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by Rossco
More technical than that thou. How are you gonna find the correct level with the stick?

Or will you leave that to the manufacture ?

Also is there a plug on the side to be used for the tube?
That should be easy. Take full transmission that was drained and fill checked using the dipstick hidden under the truck. Stick in new stick and tube. Measure! Drain a few quarts and measure again. Then make hash marks!

Hopefully they would do this during R&D

Last edited by packplantpath; 01-26-2015 at 08:25 PM.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:49 PM
FX4RoadWarrior

Received 494 Likes on 353 Posts

Regardless of anyones opinion of frequency of transmission oil change, this is a great idea.

Having to crawl under your truck to check/add oil is just added difficulty. Sure if you have a hoist it's not a big deal, but most DIY guys don't have those.

Is this stick added easily? What kind of cost for the product are we looking at here?
Old 01-26-2015, 09:24 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by packplantpath
That should be easy. Take full transmission that was drained and fill checked using the dipstick hidden under the truck. Stick in new stick and tube. Measure! Drain a few quarts and measure again. Then make hash marks!

Hopefully they would do this during R&D
Yeah for sure. Only need to do it once. The manufacture should do it then they could have the stick engraved to a high standard.

Could the stick boss be screwed into the level hole? Is this accessible?
Old 01-26-2015, 11:25 PM

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,951 Posts

PA (Performance Automatics) has had a dipstick kit for the 6R80 for several years ...
While it's intended for the Mustang, it'd be a simple matter to extend the flexible dipstick tube.

And while we're talking about dipsticks ... I've been in touch with Lokar to have a 5.0L oil dipstick with an extended, flexible tube possible.
Will be sending them the spec's and schematic this spring.

Quick Reply: Possible aftermarket dipstick tube for F150?