Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Poor fit on hood and fenders on 2012 FX4

Old 03-25-2013, 09:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Poor fit on hood and fenders on 2012 FX4

When looking closely at the hood on my FX4 I notice an inconsistent gap between the hood and fenders. The hood is also above the level of the fenders up by the hinge, then below the fender level in the middle then flush at the leading edge - like there is a depression in the middle. In addition to that, the horizontal line above the headlight where the fender meets the hood doesn't match up.

It seems like poor quality control of the hood during production or assembly to me...

Has anyone out there noticed something similar to this? If so, what were you able to do about it? I'm thinking of taking it to the dealer to have this manufacturer defect repaired...
Old 03-25-2013, 09:51 AM

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

sounds like it was either wrecked, or damaged in shipping... and no, they don't have to disclose shipping damage.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an issue with my passenger door and fender alignment.....took it to the dealer last week and they simply adjusted both the door and fender. Looks great now......sounds like your situation is similar, thus I would take it in and have them adjust it accordingly. In short, it doesn't sound like a big deal and they can fix it for you no charge, but it can still be frustrating and worrisome.

Hope that helps!
Old 03-25-2013, 10:06 AM
Automotive Refinish Tech

Received 1,746 Likes on 1,135 Posts

This topic has come up before. Depression in the middle of the hood? A few people on here have that. Some come from factory like that. One guy on here claimed that the whole lot of trucks at his dealer has them! We fixed 2 of this same type of issue at my shop last year...back when we were Ford. All it was, was 10 minutes of adjusting the hood latch...truck was fine. Sounds likes you need some hinge adjustment too.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:40 PM

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Xorak
sounds like it was either wrecked, or damaged in shipping... and no, they don't have to disclose shipping damage.
That is very probable. That's the reason I order all my vehicles and make sure I'm there when they unload it off the truck.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:26 PM

I need to clarify here a little. I saw those posts about depressions in the center of the good when I was searching the forums. I'm talking about the edges of the hood, not the center. The contours of the hood and the fender should match so that they are level along their edges, not raised in one place, depressed in another and flush in another...

Also, the gap should be uniform, not larger at the rear (nearest the hinge) then more narrow at the front.

Lastly, the very front, leading edge (right above the headlight) should be straight across from the fender to the hood. Those two body lines should be in line.

None of this is true for mine. It's not far off but I'm sure I'm not being any more picky than a lot of you with new trucks out there are...

You see where I'm coming from?...
Old 03-25-2013, 05:46 PM
LONE STAR

Received 629 Likes on 432 Posts

Hmmmm, can't say I have those issues luckily. I do have a bad habit of looking down all the body panels to see how they are all aligned. Considering how many trucks are pumped out each day, I'm impressed
Old 03-26-2013, 09:51 AM

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

post pics of your issues so we can all see what you're talking about
Old 03-26-2013, 12:54 PM

I wanted to get some pics up for you guys earlier but it's been raining on & off for the last two days here. Here ya go...
Attached Images  

Last edited by $$FX4$$; 03-26-2013 at 01:03 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:06 PM

Hers the hood detail. Gap is more narrow by the hinge, then widens and narrows again at the leading edge.
Attached Images  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Poor fit on hood and fenders on 2012 FX4