Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please Help! Truck won't update Sync.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 03:11 PM

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Please Help! Truck won't update Sync.

So I have followed the instructions to the exactly as written... Downloaded the zip file to my computer. Unzipped it. Transferred the files to my USB drive (yes it is formatted FAT 32). I plug my USB drive into my truck. When I go to the USB drive, it says "No media files". I've tried several times and even deleted the files of my USB drive, redone loaded the update, transferred over to the USB drive and plug back into my truck and it still says "no media files". Please help! 😕
Old 09-27-2015, 05:15 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Mine wouldn't update via the posted instructions. I had to go into the applications menu and use the "install new applications" to get sync to update in my truck. I have seen others post the same thing here you should try that. I set my usb up per the posted instructions but it would never start updating on its own like it says on the FORD website.
Old 09-27-2015, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by default_user8
Mine wouldn't update via the posted instructions. I had to go into the applications menu and use the "install new applications" to get sync to update in my truck. I have seen others post the same thing here you should try that. I set my usb up per the posted instructions but it would never start updating on its own like it says on the FORD website.
Can you run me through that process? I don't recall seeing an applications menu. All I know is it appears my truck can't read my USB thumb drive. Just says no media files. If I plug my phone in through the USB drive, it will read and play the music... Ugh
Old 09-27-2015, 06:14 PM

Ok, I got it! I just clicked the voice button and said "install application". Wouldn't you know it... It asked me if I wanted to install the applications, I clicked "ok" and it started the download. Took it about 5-10 minutes and it was done! That easy! Nothing like what the sync update directions said! How frustrating. But glad it's done because sync has never been updated since the first owner bought it in March 2010.
Old 09-27-2015, 06:16 PM

There should be a sticky on how to update Sync. Wrong directions seem to have caused a common headache with updating it
Old 09-27-2015, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by FrdTuff
Ok, I got it! I just clicked the voice button and said "install application". Wouldn't you know it... It asked me if I wanted to install the applications, I clicked "ok" and it started the download. Took it about 5-10 minutes and it was done! That easy! Nothing like what the sync update directions said! How frustrating. But glad it's done because sync has never been updated since the first owner bought it in March 2010.
I bought my truck 2nd hand and mine hadn't been updated since it rolled off the line. I ended up buying a 32gb nano usb and putting my entire music library on it, and its not even 1/3 full. Its nice to have all that space, I even put a bunch of audio books on it too. Glad you got it figured out! A lot of people forget you can just ask sync to do what you want. My Windows phone even lets me respond to text over sync, very handy.
Old 09-27-2015, 10:01 PM

I bought my truck 2nd hand and mine hadn't been updated since it rolled off the line. I ended up buying a 32gb nano usb and putting my entire music library on it, and its not even 1/3 full. Its nice to have all that space, I even put a bunch of audio books on it too. Glad you got it figured out! A lot of people forget you can just ask sync to do what you want. My Windows phone even lets me respond to text over sync, very handy.
Lol, I'm still trying to figure that one out. I can get sync to read my texts to me but haven't been able to figure out how to respond 😕
Old 09-27-2015, 10:45 PM

Lol, I'm still trying to figure that one out. I can get sync to read my texts to me but haven't been able to figure out how to respond 😕
On windows phones you can set it to read your text to you when connected to bluetooth. This is a function of Cortana(the windows version of Siri), so when Cortana reads a text to you it gives you a chance to respond. This is just using bluetooth audio over sync, its not actually part of the sync system. Cortana is supposed to be available on android but i'm not sure if its out yet.
The following users liked this post:
FrdTuff (09-28-2015)
Old 09-28-2015, 12:59 AM

On windows phones you can set it to read your text to you when connected to bluetooth. This is a function of Cortana(the windows version of Siri), so when Cortana reads a text to you it gives you a chance to respond. This is just using bluetooth audio over sync, its not actually part of the sync system. Cortana is supposed to be available on android but i'm not sure if its out yet.
Damn Apple! 😡
Old 09-28-2015, 01:16 PM
Ford Customer Service

Received 315 Likes on 196 Posts

Damn Apple! 😡
Hi FrdTuff,

Glad you were able to get the update installed!

Receiving text through SYNC on an iPhone works fine, but Apple does not support responding over Bluetooth.

Shaay

Quick Reply: Please Help! Truck won't update Sync.