Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Platinum vs Lariat?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 11:20 PM

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Platinum vs Lariat?

For owners of the 2011 Platinum what makes the $4,000 plus price difference for similarly optioned trucks worth the difference to you?

I know what the specs say and what the listed difference are but what else made you spent the extra?
Old 09-26-2011, 11:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the extra trim on the Platinum, but perhaps my biggest was the interior option. I didn't like the fake wood trim and really liked the steel gray against the black marble trim. I also liked the retracting running boards. It just seemed to have all the bells and whistles without having to add it all separately. I tend to always buy vehicles with all the options. Although on this truck I decided to leave off the sun roof and the max tow package. I think the mirrors on the max tow should be power folding, but they are not. One of the big reasons why I didn't choose that package.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went with the Platinum over the Lariat for a few reasons:

6.2 V8
Power running boards
Color matched bumpers
Black interior pieces
Got a great deal through a relative and paid the same price as I would have a FX4 on my own negotiations.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:14 AM
Master Gunner

Received 547 Likes on 363 Posts

Power folding running boards, $1,200 street (DIY)
Color-keyed bumpers, $250 paint shop
Black headliner (for black interior; Lariat used gray headliner)
Satin finish grille
Overall interior accents (like upper wood insert on steering wheel; however, prefer black leather seats of Lariat over Platinum's Sienna brown)
Many preferred options standard on Platinum are extra $$ upgrades for Lariat
Old 09-27-2011, 01:17 AM
Hillbilly Extraordinaire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I originally went looking for a Lariat, but the bleach blonde wood interior pieces made me want to vomit.

Plus I love the power running boards, steel grey on charcoal interior, grille, wheels, bumpers, trim, and interior "ambient" lighting.

To be honest, it didn't hurt that I see 8-10 (or more) Lariats for every 1 Platinum on the road.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:47 AM

Received 242 Likes on 191 Posts

I don't know why ford is putting fake wood grain in these trucks. Audi uses real wood grain and it looks amazing. You pay a premium price and get cheap interior trim. I would personally get the FX4. The black interior looks so much better.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:47 AM

Received 99 Likes on 73 Posts

$4000 difference? Huh? The Lariats and Platinums cost about the same comparably equipped.

In my case I couldn't stand the brown or grey Platinum interiors, the lack of an 18" wheel or the painted bumpers that would chip and so I pimped out a Lariat which was about the same price as a pimped out Platinum except I don't have power adjustable steering in the Lariat.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:46 AM
Grand Master...of nothing

Received 35 Likes on 18 Posts

Platinums are about $4-5k difference. I had to make this same exact decision. My wife and I sat down and looked at just what exactly we would get for paying the extra in the Platinum trim level. Yea we got the power running boards, the heated AND cooled front seats (which I absolutely love), the 20" better looking rims, the memory power everything (steering, pedals, seats etc.) and other things but the two biggest reasons we decided to spend the extra $$ and go with the Platinum is...

1) That butt ugly light wood grain in the lariats was a complete turn off! We both liked the interior of the Platinum way better. Actually liked the the interior of the Lariat Limited the best but didn't go with it for other reasons.

2) Every Joe Blow and his brother and cousin has a Lariat, not nearly as many Platinums around! I can count on one hand the number of Platinums I know of in my county and I only know of two in the neighboring county I work in. There's easily 100's or probably 1000's of Lariats in both counties! That reason and the trade-in value of a Platinum vs. a Lariat convinced us that it was very much worth spending the extra $$.

I feel 100% happy and satisfied with the decision I made and would make it again and again and again...BUT money was not as big a deal to us as it may be with others! We figured that being as this was my first full size truck and my dream vehicle that hell an extra $5k aint nothing when you are spending $50k! But at the same time we still justified it.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:57 AM

Received 67 Likes on 42 Posts

I will be making the same decision, though my purchase probably won't be until 2013 and who knows what changes will be made by then. At the moment I am leaning toward the Lariat for the lower price and the fact that i can always add the AMP power steps. Also, the 2012 Order Guide notes that the Lariat will have new wood trim, which leads me to believe that Ford has taken note of the public's distaste for the current blonde trim in the Lariat.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Platinum_Dawg
Platinums are about $4-5k difference. I had to make this same exact decision. My wife and I sat down and looked at just what exactly we would get for paying the extra in the Platinum trim level. Yea we got the power running boards, the heated AND cooled front seats (which I absolutely love), the 20" better looking rims, the memory power everything (steering, pedals, seats etc.) and other things but the two biggest reasons we decided to spend the extra $$ and go with the Platinum is...

1) That butt ugly light wood grain in the lariats was a complete turn off! We both liked the interior of the Platinum way better. Actually liked the the interior of the Lariat Limited the best but didn't go with it for other reasons.

2) Every Joe Blow and his brother and cousin has a Lariat, not nearly as many Platinums around! I can count on one hand the number of Platinums I know of in my county and I only know of two in the neighboring county I work in. There's easily 100's or probably 1000's of Lariats in both counties! That reason and the trade-in value of a Platinum vs. a Lariat convinced us that it was very much worth spending the extra $$.

I feel 100% happy and satisfied with the decision I made and would make it again and again and again...BUT money was not as big a deal to us as it may be with others! We figured that being as this was my first full size truck and my dream vehicle that hell an extra $5k aint nothing when you are spending $50k! But at the same time we still justified it.
So the appearance differences (exclusivity) and interior options and planned trade in value influenced your decision. Hmm ..... interesting.

Quick Reply: Platinum vs Lariat?