Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Platinum running boards just starting making a funny noise....

Old 07-27-2011, 11:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Platinum running boards just starting making a funny noise....

Okay guys, I know all the platinum haters will be all over this one..... But tonight when I got home from dinner my drivers side running board started making a funny "popping" noise when it deploys downward.... It still works fine, and doesn't sound unusual as it goes back up, only when it goes down... Didn't appear to have anything contacting it that shouldn't be. Thought I would see if anyone else had this problem. Any help is appreciated.

This is on a 2010 screw platinum 4x4... If that helps...
Old 07-27-2011, 11:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mostlyhunting
Okay guys, I know all the platinum haters will be all over this one..... But tonight when I got home from dinner my drivers side running board started making a funny "popping" noise when it deploys downward.... It still works fine, and doesn't sound unusual as it goes back up, only when it goes down... Didn't appear to have anything contacting it that shouldn't be. Thought I would see if anyone else had this problem. Any help is appreciated.

This is on a 2010 screw platinum 4x4... If that helps...

Maybe lube the articulation points...could be dry
Old 07-28-2011, 01:42 PM

Yeah. Might give that a try, for the meantime I've just turned them off....
Old 07-28-2011, 03:31 PM

Well the fact that they still operate and smoothly I assume, otherwise you would have stated that, makes me think that the linkages/pivots were dry. They probably could make some noise. If it appears to be binding or not as smooth as they were, I would think other problems. Get a friend to activate them while you are down looking at them to see if you can determine where the problem might be
Old 07-30-2011, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by ric_no_k
Well the fact that they still operate and smoothly I assume, otherwise you would have stated that, makes me think that the linkages/pivots were dry. They probably could make some noise. If it appears to be binding or not as smooth as they were, I would think other problems. Get a friend to activate them while you are down looking at them to see if you can determine where the problem might be
I believe that the noise is coming from the front pivot point, or so it sounds. I looked under there very briefly to see if there was any linkage binding or rubbing up against it and it didn't appear to be. Also, I would assume that they are sealed as I didn't see any grease serts on them, but I didn't check the backs very good.... I am due to take it in for an oil change and will probably just have the dealership look at it for me, $$$.... Haha, but being a redneck country boy from Oklahoma I would rather fix something myself, just been too busy with work and it's too damn hot down here to even think about crawling under a truck without finding a half dozen excuses! Thanks again.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:41 AM

Spray it with some siilcone spray or similar

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Platinum running boards just starting making a funny noise....