Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Platinum rims scratched when getting new tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 04:33 AM

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts

Default Platinum rims scratched when getting new tires

Went to the tire dealer up the road from my shop yesterday. Not one, but 2 of my rims were scratched when new tires where installed. Owner says he will pay to get them buffed out. Haven't taken pictures yet, so I know this may be a hard question to answer, ...but has anyone had any luck having scratches taken out of rims from a professional? There is a shop in the same city where I live that specializes in rim repair, although they never guarantee a 100% repair, due to clear coat, rim styles etc.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:58 AM
American member

Received 1,058 Likes on 843 Posts

Originally Posted by MUFFMAN
Went to the tire dealer up the road from my shop yesterday. Not one, but 2 of my rims were scratched when new tires where installed. Owner says he will pay to get them buffed out. Haven't taken pictures yet, so I know this may be a hard question to answer, ...but has anyone had any luck having scratches taken out of rims from a professional? There is a shop in the same city where I live that specializes in rim repair, although they never guarantee a 100% repair, due to clear coat, rim styles etc.
That blows. I just had a flat and they put a scratch on my charcoal gray fx4 rim.
Anyways, do you have Dent Wizard, in your area. They have a few guys that work out of the same looking truck but they only fix rims.
One of them lives a few houses down. I had bought a set of the alloy 2010 fx4 rims. They were pretty beat up and what he did, was nothing short of jaw dropping.
All the dings were filled or however he fixed them.
He also clear coated them, and they came out perfect.
So much so, I actually debated making those my primary rim, instead of just being my winter rims.

Last edited by Masi1926; 08-28-2015 at 09:31 AM.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:10 AM
King Hater

Received 872 Likes on 653 Posts

I wouldn't fret. Let them attempt to fix it and if it doesn't work get some new ones.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:12 AM
American member

Received 1,058 Likes on 843 Posts

Figured I'd show you what my dilemma was. Not really a dilemma...but you get the gist.
I don't know if I expressed enough to call Dent Wizard, and ask about their rim guy's.
If they're in your area.

Last edited by Masi1926; 08-06-2019 at 01:35 PM.
Old 08-28-2015, 12:39 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

yep...shop scratched all 4 on a different truck. They paid to fix them and they looked perfect. Just find a vendor that specializes in rim repair.
Old 08-28-2015, 01:51 PM

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts

Thanks for the replies. Took the truck to the " Rim Doctor" downtown. Needs the tires off the rim , so I'll do in the winter when I run my winter rims and tires. I do my own oil changes, rotations, summers to winters etc. Time to buy a tire machine I guess. One of the few things I have others do, and they f..k it up.
Old 08-29-2015, 11:29 AM

Received 163 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by MUFFMAN
Thanks for the replies. Took the truck to the " Rim Doctor" downtown. Needs the tires off the rim , so I'll do in the winter when I run my winter rims and tires. I do my own oil changes, rotations, summers to winters etc. Time to buy a tire machine I guess. One of the few things I have others do, and they f..k it up.
They will at least air down the tire if not remove it altogether. They claim to mark it so that it will go back on in the same orientation but if they have to remove a lot of metal to smooth out the gouges then you better just have them re-balanced.

Quick Reply: Platinum rims scratched when getting new tires