Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Platinum Owners: Tailgate Panel Coming Off

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Platinum Owners: Tailgate Panel Coming Off

Just noticed today that the tailgate panel on my Platinum is starting to come off. The double sided tape that holds it on is letting loose in the heat. It appears that it was not installed well at the factory since there isnt even any glue residue left from where it is starting to come off. Anybody else have this issue? I am gonna take it to the dealer instead of fixing it myself because the whole panel will have to be taken off and all the tape replaced and its not something I care to tackle even though I am fully capable.
Old 07-04-2009, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by rjacobs
Just noticed today that the tailgate panel on my Platinum is starting to come off. The double sided tape that holds it on is letting loose in the heat. It appears that it was not installed well at the factory since there isnt even any glue residue left from where it is starting to come off. Anybody else have this issue? I am gonna take it to the dealer instead of fixing it myself because the whole panel will have to be taken off and all the tape replaced and its not something I care to tackle even though I am fully capable.
No problem with mine. I would not screw with it and take it straight to the dealer. I am going to be PO'ed if mine starts to do it. I cannot belive this would only be secured with double-stick tape considering it's nearly a $50k truck!!!
Old 07-04-2009, 11:56 AM

All it is is 3m double sided tape, at least thats all I can see holding it on. Its been ridiculously hot in Texas the past few weeks, but still this tape should not come off. I am going to chalk it up to either ****ty install at the factory(not cleaning the panels well, not making sure the panel is secure to the tailgate), ****ty tape, or just plane old heat causing it to come off.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:56 AM
2018 F150 Platinum FX4

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Mine is doing the same with just 500 miles on it. In two places it is pulling away from the double sided tape. Not a big deal and will have the dealer fix it at service time.
Old 07-05-2009, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by rjacobs
Just noticed today that the tailgate panel on my Platinum is starting to come off. .

How many miles do you have on it.... how old is it? Ours is just 5 days old so far and I'm curious to know what probs folks are having with their Platinums. Thanks.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:21 PM

About 800 miles, but that really has nothing to do with the panel coming off. The Texas heat I suspect takes most of the blame, plus probably a ****ty install at the factory.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:25 PM
I WANNA GO FAST!

i figure the 3M adhesive they use isnt rated to stick when the surface temperature of the truck is 110 degress plus.
Old 07-05-2009, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by flareside93
i figure the 3M adhesive they use isnt rated to stick when the surface temperature of the truck is 110 degress plus.
Surface temp of 110, ha, the air temp has been close to 110 a few times the past 3 weeks. I am guessing surface temps of 150+ when the sun has been beating down on it for hours on end. If they didnt use the right 3m tape, they should have used some other type of adhesive or some type of fastener from the backside. I may just have the dealership leave it off if there are no locating holes drilled into the tailgate, but I suspect there are.
Old 07-05-2009, 07:51 PM
sig

I have an XLT and wanted to come listen to the Platinum owners complain about their truck so I felt better about mine... lol

All jokes aside I never liked the chrome strip on the Platinum's. I cant afford one, but if I could that would be the first thing to go. It doesn't flow with the rest of the design of the truck.

That being said, the thing falling off is a sign that you should leave it off. It will look way better without it.

Just the opinion of a humble XLT owner, take it or leave it.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:41 AM
2018 F150 Platinum FX4

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by sig
I have an XLT and wanted to come listen to the Platinum owners complain about their truck so I felt better about mine... lol

All jokes aside I never liked the chrome strip on the Platinum's. I cant afford one, but if I could that would be the first thing to go. It doesn't flow with the rest of the design of the truck.

That being said, the thing falling off is a sign that you should leave it off. It will look way better without it.

Just the opinion of a humble XLT owner, take it or leave it.
Sorry but many who bought the Platinum, in fact most, would not be willing to have it fall off. I like mine and suspect I paid good money for the Platinum package.

I expect Ford to come up with a fix when I take it in for service. The metal has a good bit of a bend in it caused by the shape they forced it into and will take a different type of adhesive to hold it into place. Screws would cause rust in he future and Ford is well aware of it. This is the reason they used a different method of attachement.

The metal they are attaching, I feel, had quite a spring effect in it and should have been straightened prior to installing on the tailgate. This would have allowed the tape to do it's job.

Quick Reply: Platinum Owners: Tailgate Panel Coming Off