Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

performance chip

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default performance chip

are performance chips worth it ? if so, which one is the best ?
for 2011 s-crew with 5.0
Old 07-30-2011, 03:34 PM
Retired and loving it!

Received 536 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by newt312
are performance chips worth it ? if so, which one is the best ?
for 2011 s-crew with 5.0
Ask your dealership first if this is going to affect your warranty.

That said, how much are you willing to spend? You can buy a $30 chip that will only lean out your fuel injection, advance your spark a degree or two --- and risk burning one of your back cylinders. You can do a check on this on the Mustang forums. Many of the 5.0's there with forced induction or chips have had the back right cylinder leaned out too far and burned a piston.
There are custom tuners out there that have a vast array of parameters you can change and they can fine tune your engine with their (or your -- if you know what you are doing) laptop computer. You can change the tune to any grade of gas too. The higher the octane, the more advance you can use and the more power you are going to get.........these are NOT cheap, but would be the way to go if I were to do this....best of luck in your decision on this important point for the longevity of your engine!
Old 07-30-2011, 03:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default performance chip

Thanks for that info.
Old 07-30-2011, 03:55 PM
FORD lifer

Received 246 Likes on 185 Posts

Well, the first thing your dealership will tell you is not to change anything, because they cannot guarantee anything that they can't control -

That being said, if you have a program on your truck, and you have a brake caliper fail under warranty, I doubt they'll check the flash on your computer before repairing it.

I put a tune on my new 2011, and it makes an almost perfect truck better.

Throttle response is quicker, the shifts are a little firmer, and the annoying 96mph speed limiter is now gone.

I would recommend 5STARTUNING - since Mike is the one I bought my program/programmer from, and he seems to be the unchallenged master of modifying a 2011 5.0 -

It wasn't cheap, but nice things cost money.

Quick Reply: performance chip