Go Back   Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Late Model F150s > 2009 - Present Ford F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to F150 Forum!
Welcome to F150 Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 08-22-2010, 09:21 PM   #1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Paint Polishing

So I have seen on shows like trucks and such of them using Polishing compound to get rid of the so called "orange peel" look on the paint. My truck has this orange peel and I would really like to get rid of it. Has anyone done this and possibly want to give any advice on how to do this/what to use? I am probably going to do it by hand unless somebody has tried to do this by hand and didn't get the results they were looking for. And what brand of polish did you use things like that. I have the vermilion red color since I know wax can work differently on some colors I didn't know if this was the same way. Thanks in advance for the advice.

Bill
racrbilly67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 09:57 PM   #2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

The only way to get a truly flat and orange peel free finish would be to wet sand the car to level off the clear coat.

Polish with abrasives will remove some clear coat to remove swirls etc but not the orange peel.

Have a look here to get a better idea of whats required to get the ultimate finish. http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=141365

Also, is Vermillion Red the same as Candy Red? My truck has a slight orange peel but nowhere near as bad as previous cars. After a dual stage polish and a couple of coats of wax it looks good and only people in the know will notice the imperfections.

Last edited by rob28; 08-22-2010 at 10:04 PM.
rob28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 10:07 PM   #3

Unless you REALLY know what you are doing I would STRONGLY suggest you not worry about it.

There is too much risk in buffing through the clear coat, plus you are making the clear coat thinner. The reward here isn't worth the risk, you could end up with a horrible mess.

The cars you see on TV have had extra clear applied in the painting process to allow for the sand/buff stage. The clear on our trucks is the absolute minimum to get the job done.
shoot summ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 10:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob28 View Post
The only way to get a truly flat and orange peel free finish would be to wet sand the car to level off the clear coat.

Polish with abrasives will remove some clear coat to remove swirls etc but not the orange peel.

Have a look here to get a better idea of whats required to get the ultimate finish. http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=141365

Also, is Vermillion Red the same as Candy Red? My truck has a slight orange peel but nowhere near as bad as previous cars. After a dual stage polish and a couple of coats of wax it looks good and only people in the know will notice the imperfections.

Yes the vermilion red is the candy red. Of the two versions of red offered it is the brighter one.

I think maybe I'll just start out with giving a good clay bar and a nice coat of wax maybe that will help. That is probably a little more involved that what I really want to get into. After all it is a DD and not a show truck...
Old 08-22-2010, 10:50 PM   #5
Just another member

Quote:
Originally Posted by racrbilly67 View Post
Yes the vermilion red is the candy red. Of the two versions of red offered it is the brighter one.
Huh? I don't think so . . .
johnwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 10:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwill View Post
Huh? I don't think so . . .
My bust... I think I was confused because I originally wanted the vermilion red, which is the darker red, but I just looked it up and i do have the red candy metallic, the brighter one.

These car colors are confusing...
Old 08-22-2010, 11:05 PM   #7
Just another member

No problem. As long as you are happy with what you ended up getting.

There are three reds actually, and Royal red is the darkest of them all. Darker than the other two.

I thought Vermillion was the brightest. Oh well, it is all in how we each see I guess.
johnwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 12:06 AM   #8
FEs Rule

http://autobodystore.com

There used to be a good write up on that site that covered removing orange peel. There are a lot of knowledgeable folks there that can advise you. Check it out...
FEfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 05:02 PM   #9

If this is a new truck with orange peel paint; you should be taking it back to the dealership. Ford will stand behind the paint.
Sturgisfdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 05:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturgisfdb View Post
If this is a new truck with orange peel paint; you should be taking it back to the dealership. Ford will stand behind the paint.
I'm pretty certain orange peel isn't considered a paint defect, it's pretty much the norm these days.
shoot summ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 05:06 PM