Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P0236 Ford Turbo/Boost Sensor Code

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 02:49 AM

Received 368 Likes on 286 Posts

Default P0236 Ford Turbo/Boost Sensor Code

At 60,037 miles and the big wrench light illuminates on startup - a turbo boost sensor failed. Same soft code at 57K when my dealer was unable to locate/repair the problem. This time my dealer was kind enough to split the repair costs with me due to being out-of-warranty.

Opened a case file, asked Ford to review, as it appears the sensor was failing under warranty. Case file good news from my dealer today is my repair cost will be returned.

I'd noticed the blow off valves were noisier and seemed to operate more frequently than when new, and the turbos spooled up and down noisily for a few seconds on startup. Plus fuel economy was off a couple MPG. Since the boost sensor & wire harness plug were replaced blow off valves & turbos are quieter like when new. The engine idles smoother, runs stronger, and the MPGs returned. I am pleased with Ford, my dealer, and the EcoBoost.
Attached Thumbnails P0236 Ford Turbo/Boost Sensor Code-img_0086.jpg   P0236 Ford Turbo/Boost Sensor Code-img_0102.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 02-17-2015, 12:47 PM
Opinionated Blowhard

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Barry_Vee
At 60,037 miles and the big wrench light illuminates on startup - a turbo boost sensor failed. Same soft code at 57K when my dealer was unable to locate/repair the problem. This time my dealer was kind enough to split the repair costs with me due to being out-of-warranty. Opened a case file, asked Ford to review, as it appears the sensor was failing under warranty. Case file good news from my dealer today is my repair cost will be returned. I'd noticed the blow off valves were noisier and seemed to operate more frequently than when new, and the turbos spooled up and down noisily for a few seconds on startup. Plus fuel economy was off a couple MPG. Since the boost sensor & wire harness plug were replaced blow off valves & turbos are quieter like when new. The engine idles smoother, runs stronger, and the MPGs returned. I am pleased with Ford, my dealer, and the EcoBoost.
I had this problem with my 2011. A dealer in Denver chased the problem and replaced the harness for the boost control module. Problem solved. I'm glad Ford did the right thing. It sounds like you have a darn good dealer too.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having similar issues on my 2012 ford f150. First codes were to replace map sensor. Which has been done now after driving 250 + miles I am having code reading it is turbo charger sensor which is same one that has been replaced. I am having power failure, bad mpg, truck is also stalling out
Old 10-26-2017, 11:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also similar issues on my 2012. They first started appearing intermittently about 6 months after new. Mileage was always bad, but not unheard of low (16-17). Then months of nothing, then another incident. About 2 years ago, it spiked to 3 times in a day, then nothing for a few weeks. Over the last few months, it's become more serious when it occures, and doesn't always trip the trouble code. All the original alerts said MAF/MAP. Those are replaced as of last week. Today I finally got some new variations on the codes, but basically the same thing. Further sleuthing using the new codes led me to the Turbo Boost sensor this time, and more in the way of write ups than the other two had. I'll check the harness first, but, at only $36 or so for an aftermarket part, I'll probably change out the sensor regardless.

I am, of course, two years and many thousands of miles out of warranty. It was asked about at the dealership several times, but, because of the intermittent status, they never could find anything. I'm hoping from all I've read that this one will get it, and that I'll even pick up some fuel economy along the way.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As an additional follow up to this:

Part number lookups were pretty ambiguous on the TBPS, so I started with simply pulling it and cleaning it. So far, the impact has been dramatic. If anything, mileage is down (learned programming probably being counterproductive there), but, in the few drives since the work was done, all negative symptoms have disappeared and acceleration power is better than it has been in years. Since it's always been intermittent, it's less than a sure bet that it's "fixed", but that intermittent status had become "most of the time, and pretty bad", so there is definite improvement.

Quick Reply: P0236 Ford Turbo/Boost Sensor Code