Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Onboard air and spare battery

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 12:25 AM

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Onboard air and spare battery

Has anyone actually done on-board air or installed a second isolated battery? Where did you put it and what it your setup. No theories, actual installs please.
Old 10-08-2015, 12:28 AM
FX4RoadWarrior

Received 494 Likes on 353 Posts

Hey I've researched both here and they are easily found using google. You might not get much luck asking.

There are some really good ones for the on board air on this forum.
Old 10-08-2015, 12:45 AM

Yeah, my searching left some to the imagination. I was hoping to get people who have done it to say where they mounted this stuff (probably under the bed), how they did it, and their regrets. So I guess I will take that I can get. Thank you for the response Darren.
Old 10-08-2015, 12:49 AM
FX4RoadWarrior

In the morning is when most guys post so check back. I agree with the imagination being left mostly why I didn't do the battery mod and still investigating the on board air.

Good luck.
Old 10-08-2015, 08:42 AM
End of the Earth

Received 377 Likes on 287 Posts

VIAIR onboard air how-to

on board air compressor

On Board Compressor Install and Auxiliary Switch Problem

Dual Battery

Spare Battery
The following users liked this post:
obert (10-08-2015)
Old 10-08-2015, 03:23 PM

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

I just did on-board air. Used the Kleinn Velo-230 kit, since I got a great deal on it. Main reason is because it comes with all direct bolt-on brackets. 3 gallon tank, constant duty air compressor, all wiring and tubing, and a loud horn! Never having done one, took me and a buddy about 5 hours from opening the box, to being done. Included going to AutoZone to buy some t-taps. If you don't want the horns, they may sell just the compressor/tank kit. Only thing is, you can't have power running boards, as it mounts to frame rail on passenger side.
The following users liked this post:
tanked_darren (10-08-2015)
Old 10-08-2015, 08:00 PM

I probably should have clarified.

The onboard air isn't too big of a deal for location but the setup's is what I am looking for. The spare battery however I have only seen two spots and I don't like both. I have seen the under engine mount on the 5.0 which doesn't work on the ecoboost. The second is in the bed which eats my bed space.

I'll probably go with the ARB onboard twin air compressor with some sort of tank mounted under the cab or bed. The battery is a bigger issue.
Old 10-09-2015, 02:38 AM

Received 698 Likes on 442 Posts

I dealt with these issues a bit differently than you're thinking. I got an Optima Yellow Top deep cycle battery (instead of a dual set up). I run a 1000 watt inverter, and I don't even have to turn the engine on to support running things on it. Another thing about the Optima is, you can lay it on its side to mount it somewhere (AGM, not a lead/acid battery) and it won't know the difference. That may give you some additional options...

I also got a Viair portable compressor. The full kit comes with a carrying case, hose, etc. I just keep it in a tool tub in the bed (but it would fit behind the back seat)

But if you're looking for an amazing resource for anything "overlanding", go here: http://expeditionportal.com - it has worldwide participation.

HTH!
Old 10-09-2015, 03:02 AM
FX4RoadWarrior

Originally Posted by cltgt
I just did on-board air. Used the Kleinn Velo-230 kit, since I got a great deal on it. Main reason is because it comes with all direct bolt-on brackets. 3 gallon tank, constant duty air compressor, all wiring and tubing, and a loud horn! Never having done one, took me and a buddy about 5 hours from opening the box, to being done. Included going to AutoZone to buy some t-taps. If you don't want the horns, they may sell just the compressor/tank kit. Only thing is, you can't have power running boards, as it mounts to frame rail on passenger side.
Did that bolt up nice? Are you happy with it? That looks like a good kit, in my searches most people get stumped with tank placement.
Old 10-09-2015, 01:51 PM

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

Stuck my 2nd batt under the hood

Last edited by Krookz; 10-09-2015 at 02:33 PM.

Quick Reply: Onboard air and spare battery