Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil filter change

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 10:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil filter change

How do you get to the oil filter on the 5.4 with front skid plate? What size wrench and oil drain plug wrench size?

Also is it recommended to use synthetic 5w20?
Old 04-19-2009, 11:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yikes, I forgot to even look into this! I was pissed off that the new Tundras require skid plate removal to get at the oil filter. Don't tell me my new Ford is the same!
Old 04-19-2009, 11:36 AM

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

Isn't it easier to bring the truck to your dealer for an oil change? It usually costs $5-10 more than buying the oil and filter separately (and doing it yourself). But the nice thing is the service is entered into Ford's system and if there should be a warranty issue related to the engine, you have proof it was serviced as recommended.

You can certainly use synthetic oil if you like but personally, I stick to the Motorcraft semi-synthetic blend. It's cheaper and meets Ford's requirement.
Old 04-19-2009, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by big_ole_truck
Isn't it easier to bring the truck to your dealer for an oil change? It usually costs $5-10 more than buying the oil and filter separately (and doing it yourself). But the nice thing is the service is entered into Ford's system and if there should be a warranty issue related to the engine, you have proof it was serviced as recommended.

You can certainly use synthetic oil if you like but personally, I stick to the Motorcraft semi-synthetic blend. It's cheaper and meets Ford's requirement.
Easier maybe, but I like knowing if it was done right, drain plug propperly torqued, washer replaced, quality and grade of oil.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by big_ole_truck

even if dealer price is cheaper, I'd still do my own oil change. the peace of mind knowing it is properly done is priceless. I like to drain the oil overnight .
Old 04-21-2009, 11:34 PM
2009 4x2 5.4 XLT Screw

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

...and some doctor's offices, dentists, health centers and hospital have gotten caught reusing dirty needles and not sterilizing their surgical instruments.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by werewolf
Yikes, I forgot to even look into this! I was pissed off that the new Tundras require skid plate removal to get at the oil filter. Don't tell me my new Ford is the same!
Nope, no problems here. The oil filter can be changed without removing anything, tho it may not be in the most convenient spot in the world. Likewise the oil drain plug.

Quick Reply: oil filter change