Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OEM HID Issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 10:16 AM

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Default OEM HID Issue

Hey guys, I'm hoping someone has run into this same issue and has some sort of fix other than buying a new headlight. My 13' FX4 has had some ongoing issues with the passenger side headlight shortly after I bought it. Whenever it was cold outside (30's or lower) the shutter inside the headlight housing would take forever to come back down from high beam to low beam. Its like the motor within the shutter was seized or something. Now that its really cold here in Kansas the damn thing is stuck on the high beams after I used them last night. The driver's side headlight works just fine.

I brought this up to the dealer while I was still under warranty, but he told me that it wasn't covered since the headlights are a "wear and tear" item. Which I think is total BS. I could see maybe the bulb itself being a wear and tear type issue, but not the shutter motor.

Any one have any ideas? This is driving me crazy to be having issues like this with a brand new truck.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:20 AM

Received 146 Likes on 130 Posts

I would get a hold of a ford service rep here and see if they can help. The shutter is not a wear and tear item if you are still in the bumper to bumper warranty. I would also consider taking it to another dealership.

If it is just one I would say it is the shutter that is your issue.

If both are staying on at the same time and going to low at the same time it may be a wiring issue.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:22 AM

I was thinking about trying to get a hold of a rep here to see what they can do. My only issue now is that its no longer covered under the bumper to bumper warranty. Hopefully since I brought up the issue while it was still covered they might be able to do something. Thanks for the advice.
Old 02-20-2015, 02:37 AM

Received 698 Likes on 442 Posts

411 me: how is it that a '13 is no longer under the 36 month warranty (or did you put gobs of miles on it?). I have another 13 months/10k on mine.

The BULB is a "wear item", not the headlamp. What freakin creepy dealers will say just to avoid doing something for their customers! Push the issue to the wall!
Old 02-20-2015, 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by STingray1300
411 me: how is it that a '13 is no longer under the 36 month warranty (or did you put gobs of miles on it?). I have another 13 months/10k on mine.

The BULB is a "wear item", not the headlamp. What freakin creepy dealers will say just to avoid doing something for their customers! Push the issue to the wall!
I wouldn't say that I put a ton of miles on it, but I do drive my truck pretty frequently. I bought it almost a year ago with about 33,000 on it and it got about 47,000 on it now. I know I won't get anywhere by contacting the dealer, so hopefully I can try and talk to a rep to see if there are any alternate routes of getting this issue remedied.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:27 AM

Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts

Yeah contact one of the reps and see what they'll do.

It sounds like the plastic in the solenoid has frozen and expanded or there was moisture around the solenoid and it froze/expanded and isn't allowing things to close properly.

you CAN take the headlight off, remove the rubber boot, carefully remove the capsule (since it'll be in the way) and use something to pull back on the sheild.... The shield actually swing tilts forward (to the front of the headlamp). Then put it all together.

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES TOUCH THE BULB ITSELF! If you do, clean it with an alcohol prep pad and let it sit for a few minutes to dry. Reassemble and be happy you could fix it so easily. It won't be permanent until it melts/dries out but at least it'll get the high beam off.
Old 02-20-2015, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by jchargu3
Yeah contact one of the reps and see what they'll do.

It sounds like the plastic in the solenoid has frozen and expanded or there was moisture around the solenoid and it froze/expanded and isn't allowing things to close properly.

you CAN take the headlight off, remove the rubber boot, carefully remove the capsule (since it'll be in the way) and use something to pull back on the sheild.... The shield actually swing tilts forward (to the front of the headlamp). Then put it all together.

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES TOUCH THE BULB ITSELF! If you do, clean it with an alcohol prep pad and let it sit for a few minutes to dry. Reassemble and be happy you could fix it so easily. It won't be permanent until it melts/dries out but at least it'll get the high beam off.
Thanks for the advice. I may have lost my cool this morning when I went to drive to work. I've been so aggravated by the one eye wink look of the headlights that I just got out and beat on the headlight with my fist for a bit. I cycled the highs and lows a few times then went back to tapping on the headlight. Eventually the shield began to come down really slowly into the low beam position.

So its sort of fixed as along as I just dont use my high beams. Which makes total sense on a $50,000 truck. I feel like the more technology they pack into these things the more problems I begin to have.

On a side note, has anyone noticed their interior panels being more prone to rattles than their previous trucks. I had a 2005 before I purchased my '13, and the interior quality seemed to be much more solid than that of my new truck. I'm very easily annoyed when it comes to rattles, and with this truck it seems like I'm always tracking them down and attempting to fix them.
Old 02-20-2015, 11:03 AM

Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by 05Ford
Thanks for the advice. I may have lost my cool this morning when I went to drive to work. I've been so aggravated by the one eye wink look of the headlights that I just got out and beat on the headlight with my fist for a bit. I cycled the highs and lows a few times then went back to tapping on the headlight. Eventually the shield began to come down really slowly into the low beam position.

So its sort of fixed as along as I just dont use my high beams. Which makes total sense on a $50,000 truck. I feel like the more technology they pack into these things the more problems I begin to have.

On a side note, has anyone noticed their interior panels being more prone to rattles than their previous trucks. I had a 2005 before I purchased my '13, and the interior quality seemed to be much more solid than that of my new truck. I'm very easily annoyed when it comes to rattles, and with this truck it seems like I'm always tracking them down and attempting to fix them.
Don't beat your girls eyes in! It's not her fault! hahaha

As far as rattles. I an't say anything because I came from an 05 GM product rattle trap. This F150 is the quietest vehicle I've ever been in.
Old 03-07-2015, 05:31 PM

Received 126 Likes on 37 Posts

Sub'd. My '13 has started the same thing and I'm out of B-B warranty too. My drivers side gets stuck on high beam and won't return to low.
Old 12-27-2016, 11:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

I'm having this exact same issue with my '13 platinum I don't suppose anyone has come up with the answer yet?

Quick Reply: OEM HID Issue