Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No start after puddle...

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No start after puddle...

Hey All.

I'm new to the F-150 community as I just bought my truck a month ago, a day after returning home from Iraq! Its a great truck and i'm happy so far, but as of this afternoon, I have a problem;

Coming home earlier today, I hit a large puddle. I didnt realize how large the puddle was until I entered it, and by then, it was too late. The truck made it through the puddle fine, and made it the remaining 2 miles home with no problem. When I tried to start it later, nothing. The display has 2 warnings showing; Check charging system, Check braking system.

I'm a bit worried that the water may have messed the truck up. I'm not sure where to start besides here. I will search around the forum for a while a see what I can come up with. Any help is appreciated.

SGT Brett Lenoble
USA
Old 08-02-2009, 08:17 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd check to make sure you didn't jar anything loose with regards to the battery. Another thought is it may just need to dry up. This is very weird though, I've never heard of such a thing. If all else fails make a call to the dealer tomorrow and have them send a mechainc or a tow truck out and get it fixed. They are great trucks but like many first year vehicles they have a few quirks to them. Good luck and let us know what the findings are.

Glad to have ya' back stateside. Where are you stationed and what's your MOS? I'm a 11B and I should be leaving for Iraq in mid to late Sep. I hear it's really boring over there now, at least the deployment pay will get me a few goodies for my truck. I was there in 2003 and in Afghanistan in 2004. Just finished a three year "volun-told" tour in recruiting and now I'm back in Ft. Bragg. Well take it easy.

SSG Shawn Taylor
USA
Old 08-02-2009, 08:28 PM

Well, as far as the truck goes, the battery seems fine. The headlights turn on and are bright, and everything else seems to work fine. Even put a jump pack on it, which had no effect. What i'm thinking is that maybe there is some sort of alarm box which got wet and has the motor all locked up for "Security", as the truck wont even turn over.

As far as Iraq, I had it very easy in Balad (Anaconda). I am a 45G, but re-enlisted for 11B back in October. My report date to Benning is November 2nd, and I can't wait! Not much was going on when we left though, they were starting to pull the BCTs out of the cities, but besides that, all seemed quiet!

SGT Brett Lenoble
USA
Old 08-02-2009, 10:50 PM

Not sure what it might be. Could have shorted the starter ground? Anyway, good luck you two. I have 21 days until I ETS.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:11 AM

Received 120 Likes on 97 Posts

You are not the only one... There was a guy on here about a month ago that went through a puddle and messed up his truck. Everyone gave him hell about off roading, etc... I think they should read your post and apologize.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:09 PM

First off, welcome back and thanks!

I had a problem with my old 94 F140 that sounds similar. In that case I had fouled the plugs. Rest of the electrical was fine, but moisture got in there and messed things up. New wires and plugs were needed.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:19 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I had that problem one time. The plastics around the battery cable melted off so I replaced the cable and it works perfect now.

Quick Reply: No start after puddle...