Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new tune and ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 11:40 PM

Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

Default new tune and ??

I got my SCT x4 from 5 star tuning today with my 3 custom tunes (87 perf. tow, 89 perf. tow and 87 econo). I loaded the 87 performance tow tune and went for a spin. It wasn't a night and day difference like so many had reported, but it did seem more responsive, especially in 2nd gear. Overall the truck felt lighter so I think I'll like it.

Now, what I don't like and not sure if this is normal or temporary or whatever, but when slowing down the truck downshifts kinda hard into 4th gear. I didn't have the truck in tow/haul mode, and the it didn't matter if I rapidly slowed down or just coasted down to a stop. Is the computer just relearning my driving style, or is this something wrong with the tune? My truck is bone stock and you wouldn't even know it was downshifting before the tune if you weren't looking at the display. Anyone with similar experience and suggestions?
Old 08-07-2015, 12:21 AM
JJM

Received 180 Likes on 136 Posts

Default new tune and ??

Originally Posted by 1stTruckGuy
I got my SCT x4 from 5 star tuning today with my 3 custom tunes (87 perf. tow, 89 perf. tow and 87 econo). I loaded the 87 performance tow tune and went for a spin. It wasn't a night and day difference like so many had reported, but it did seem more responsive, especially in 2nd gear. Overall the truck felt lighter so I think I'll like it.

Now, what I don't like and not sure if this is normal or temporary or whatever, but when slowing down the truck downshifts kinda hard into 4th gear. I didn't have the truck in tow/haul mode, and the it didn't matter if I rapidly slowed down or just coasted down to a stop. Is the computer just relearning my driving style, or is this something wrong with the tune? My truck is bone stock and you wouldn't even know it was downshifting before the tune if you weren't looking at the display. Anyone with similar experience and suggestions?
My tune from 5 star does this too. I think it's to keep it in a gear that will allow quicker acceleration if you want it by being in a lower gear. The tow tune won't have this feel.
Old 08-07-2015, 12:35 AM

Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

crap, that's what I was afraid of. I'd rather it just be more happy to downshift without flooring it instead of anticipating that I always want more power. I drive pretty conservatively, this is not my daily driver, its my cowboy Cadillac weekend and date night vehicle. I have no desire to race it, just wanted more pep and to lose the "dead pedal" feeling of the drive by wire throttle. Think 5star would change this downshift strategy?

Anyone running the "canned" tunes? Do they have this same issue?
Old 08-07-2015, 01:05 AM

Received 844 Likes on 495 Posts

Give them a call, I've always gotten awesome customer service from them and help when needed in regards to my tunes. Mine do not do what you are describing though. I know after you load a tune it takes a good 50 miles or so for it to adjust /set in. What year is your truck? I've heard a few guys with 2014's having issues with their tunes.
I'd give it a couple days then if it's still doing what you're describing give them a call.
Old 08-07-2015, 01:08 AM

Received 844 Likes on 495 Posts

I tried the canned tunes just for ***** and giggles and was not impressed what so ever.
Old 08-07-2015, 02:17 AM

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

I have 14 model and 5 star tunes. With no problems with it shifting hard or anything.
Old 08-07-2015, 02:28 AM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

give MPT a try! Personally I like it more than 5star.
Old 08-07-2015, 07:50 AM

Received 613 Likes on 497 Posts

Default new tune and ??

Your transmission also needs to relearn everything, give it a few weeks of driving and it should improve once it relearn a your driving style
Old 08-07-2015, 09:25 AM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

I have to wonder if you are using the canned tunes thinking they are custom ones. Just by this statement alone... "I loaded the 87 performance tow tune and went for a spin. It wasn't a night and day difference like so many had reported,"

Canned tunes are ho hum, custom tunes written specifically for the truck did indeed make a night and day difference, at least on my truck.

Give them a call, maybe they sent you the wrong tunes.
Old 08-07-2015, 09:47 AM

Received 315 Likes on 239 Posts

Default tell Mike @ 5star

When I first loaded the 87P/T tune, the shift points were too high for my liking and regular traffic-laden commute, and the idle was a bit high as well(700rpm if I recall). I emailed Mike and within 20 minutes I had a tune with my idle set exactly at 600rpm and shift points a few hundred rpms lower. I have been running this "modified" 87Perf/Tow tune for the last 30k miles and wouldn't change a thing.

I used to have the harsh 4 gear downshift as well, but a fluid change in the transmission helped a bit and then the lower shift point modified tune and it has disappeared other than occasionally when hauling our camping trailer in the mountains. I think the harsh 4gear downshift is a bit inherent in the transmission, but can be mitigated.

Originally Posted by 1stTruckGuy
crap, that's what I was afraid of. I'd rather it just be more happy to downshift without flooring it instead of anticipating that I always want more power. I drive pretty conservatively, this is not my daily driver, its my cowboy Cadillac weekend and date night vehicle. I have no desire to race it, just wanted more pep and to lose the "dead pedal" feeling of the drive by wire throttle. Think 5star would change this downshift strategy?

Anyone running the "canned" tunes? Do they have this same issue?

Quick Reply: new tune and ??