Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New pads and rotor time, suggestions?? Power stop??

Old 09-24-2015, 12:18 AM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default New pads and rotor time, suggestions?? Power stop??

Planning on getting new brakes all around, in Canada so options are more limited, been eying a power stop kit on rock auto slotted and drilled all 4 rotors and sets of pads for 550$ shipped. Any feedback on these? Other suggestions? Not a huge budget to work with
Old 09-24-2015, 04:12 AM

Received 183 Likes on 112 Posts

Do a search- several answers available. I have heard good things on the Powerstops and also EBCs.
I just installed a front set of Powerstops on my wife's car and they are great. For the money and what you get, doesn't seem as if you can go wrong.
Old 09-24-2015, 06:50 AM

Received 120 Likes on 98 Posts

There's a lot of feedback on brake combinations in multiple threads. I've been running a PowerStop Z23 kit since for 20k miles now, issue free. Performance is much better than the OEM rotor/pads.
Old 09-24-2015, 08:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been running the drilled and slotted powerstop kit from rock auto for about 3 months on my truck and 1 year on the wife's suv: no problems and they stop better/are cleaner than stock.
Old 09-24-2015, 08:52 AM

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by joedotmac
There's a lot of feedback on brake combinations in multiple threads. I've been running a PowerStop Z23 kit since for 20k miles now, issue free. Performance is much better than the OEM rotor/pads.

i love mine as well
Old 09-24-2015, 09:00 AM
Okie Coupe

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

Personally, if I were only using my truck for light hauling or towing I would stay with the factory OEM brake system. Why go to the expense of aftermarket brakes? Especially if you trade every few years.
Old 09-24-2015, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by shortride
Personally, if I were only using my truck for light hauling or towing I would stay with the factory OEM brake system. Why go to the expense of aftermarket brakes? Especially if you trade every few years.
The power stop kits are much cheaper than the oem kits at about 250$ per axle for rotors and pads, and seem to provide better performance from what I've heard. If my oems weren't worn I wouldn't be upgrading. I don't see the point in spending more on oem parts that are inferior to the aftermarket
Old 09-24-2015, 10:40 AM
Okie Coupe

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Nateking
The power stop kits are much cheaper than the oem kits at about 250$ per axle for rotors and pads, and seem to provide better performance from what I've heard. If my oems weren't worn I wouldn't be upgrading. I don't see the point in spending more on oem parts that are inferior to the aftermarket

You may be correct. I've just always believed that OEM equipment is the best. How do you know that OEM are inferior to aftermarket?
Old 09-24-2015, 11:38 AM

You may be correct. I've just always believed that OEM equipment is the best. How do you know that OEM are inferior to aftermarket?
Just from what I've read on forums, I have no personal experience with aftermarket so I may be wrong, but the stock rotors seem to be prone to warping from what I've heard
Old 09-24-2015, 05:56 PM

Received 120 Likes on 98 Posts

There are hundreds of posts here on the forum that complain of warped rotors with less than 20k miles. Rotors are either warped, or as some claim material from the pad is being implanted to the rotor surface. Regardless the fix is the same, turn the rotors, or replace rotors, new pads. Question would be, chance the same issue returning from turning the OEM rotors, and or buying a new set of OEM rotors and pads?

There are hundreds of testimonials here on the forum that have many aftermarket rotor/pad combinations that appear void, for whatever reasoning, of the OEM brakes vibrating when applied.

My truck brakes started vibrating around 4k miles. I put up with it still 8k. Now 20k miles later at 28k, no brake issues, and better braking performance.

One thing I did notice and continue to notice on the Powerstop rotors/pads, the color uniformity across the surface of the rotors is very consistent. The OEM color patter was inconsistent and some places looked as if the OEM pad wasn't even making contact. The rotors were streaky in appearance. One side of my passenger rotor appeared to only be getting 25% of the pad applied.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New pads and rotor time, suggestions?? Power stop??