Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Noise after IWE Actuator Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 11:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Noise after IWE Actuator Replacement

Hi guys, i'm hoping one of you may be able to shine some light on a problem that my truck has developed.

For the past couple of months my truck had been intermittently having a grinding noise/vibration in the front end. Generally low speed only, 15-25Mph. The noise/vibration would go away as soon as I shifted out of 2wd in to 4wd. After doing much research I figured it was the IWE actuator that was causing the problem. I took my truck in to my normal mechanic this week and had them look in to the problem and they after some digging agreed that it was likely a bad IWE actuator causing the problem. They had my truck 4 days as after they replaced the IWE actuator they noticed a new problem, a problem which I had never experience until they worked on my truck.

Intermittently at highway speeds, around 55mph, I get a buzzing noise coming from the front end. There is no vibration in the truck, just the noise. Honestly I'm stumped, prior to my truck being in the shop I never experienced anything like this, and thought my problem would be solved after the IWE replacement. Now I've got a truck making an intermittent noise and a mechanic that isn't sure what the problem might be.

Do any of you guys have any suggestions or things to look at. Maybe someone has had a similar situation.

Thanks
Old 04-07-2014, 04:58 PM
Ford Customer Service

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by habmann
Hi guys, i'm hoping one of you may be able to shine some light on a problem that my truck has developed.

For the past couple of months my truck had been intermittently having a grinding noise/vibration in the front end. Generally low speed only, 15-25Mph. The noise/vibration would go away as soon as I shifted out of 2wd in to 4wd. After doing much research I figured it was the IWE actuator that was causing the problem. I took my truck in to my normal mechanic this week and had them look in to the problem and they after some digging agreed that it was likely a bad IWE actuator causing the problem. They had my truck 4 days as after they replaced the IWE actuator they noticed a new problem, a problem which I had never experience until they worked on my truck.

Intermittently at highway speeds, around 55mph, I get a buzzing noise coming from the front end. There is no vibration in the truck, just the noise. Honestly I'm stumped, prior to my truck being in the shop I never experienced anything like this, and thought my problem would be solved after the IWE replacement. Now I've got a truck making an intermittent noise and a mechanic that isn't sure what the problem might be.

Do any of you guys have any suggestions or things to look at. Maybe someone has had a similar situation.

Thanks
Hi habmann,

What are the year and odometer reading on your truck? Send that over to me so I can check a few options for you.

Bianca
Old 04-07-2014, 07:51 PM

It's a 2009 F150 with about 130000km on it.

Thanks
Old 04-08-2014, 02:15 PM
Ford Customer Service

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

It's a 2009 F150 with about 130000km on it.

Thanks
Hey habmann,

I encourage you to work with your dealer toward a resolution; they are in the best position to assist. However, I'd like to document your feedback. Please PM me your VIN, full name, and best daytime phone number so I can start on that right away.

Bianca
Old 04-08-2014, 04:15 PM

Received 222 Likes on 178 Posts

Not sure if you know how the system works or not but if not here you go.

The actuator *(solenoid) is applying vacuum to the IEW only when in 2 wd! so if you were getting grinding in 2 wd that would happen if?

1. the solenoid was bad and not pulling vacuum due to the internal valve not opening.
2. there is a leak somewhere in the system.
3. no power going to the solenoid

So there is a vacuum reservoir which gets vacuum from the intake. then a hose goes from there to the solenoid. the solenoid is off in 4wd and no vacuum is being pulled. in 2 wd the solenoid is sent power to switch the internal valve to allow vacuum to be pulled in the IWE (at the wheel hub) so there is a hose that goes from the solenoid to the IWE hub.

so you replaced the solenoid and no longer have the grinding noise at low speed and now have a hum at high speed. How??

1. vacuum loss to or from the reservoir
2. small vacuum leak from one of the hoses
3. the IWE is leaking vacuum internally
4. faulty IWE not fully engaging
5. ears pulling a trick on you since you are looking for something and could be just road noise.

Keep in Mind that vacuum isn't produced at a high volume at higher rpms thus the need to have a reservoir . If you have the Ecoboost engine this is more so affected due to the turbo's. so it is possible that you are not making enough or losing some vacuum in the system enough to not allow the IWE's to fully engage.

The shop could do a leak down test on all the lines to find out if there is a leak or if the IWE is holding vacuum... if they don't have the info on this here is what you can tell them...

Apply 508 mm (20 in) Hg of vacuum to the RH IWE port and observe vacuum reading.
Does the vacuum maintain or drop less than 25 mm (1 in) Hg per minute? if NO replace the IWE, if yes go to the LH IWE and repeat test. If No replace IWE if Yes then it is either one of the vacuum hoses or it still could be a bad IWE even though it holds vacuum it might not be opening all the way?
Old 04-08-2014, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by mamonti
Not sure if you know how the system works or not but if not here you go.

The actuator *(solenoid) is applying vacuum to the IEW only when in 2 wd! so if you were getting grinding in 2 wd that would happen if?

1. the solenoid was bad and not pulling vacuum due to the internal valve not opening.
2. there is a leak somewhere in the system.
3. no power going to the solenoid

So there is a vacuum reservoir which gets vacuum from the intake. then a hose goes from there to the solenoid. the solenoid is off in 4wd and no vacuum is being pulled. in 2 wd the solenoid is sent power to switch the internal valve to allow vacuum to be pulled in the IWE (at the wheel hub) so there is a hose that goes from the solenoid to the IWE hub.

so you replaced the solenoid and no longer have the grinding noise at low speed and now have a hum at high speed. How??

1. vacuum loss to or from the reservoir
2. small vacuum leak from one of the hoses
3. the IWE is leaking vacuum internally
4. faulty IWE not fully engaging
5. ears pulling a trick on you since you are looking for something and could be just road noise.

Keep in Mind that vacuum isn't produced at a high volume at higher rpms thus the need to have a reservoir . If you have the Ecoboost engine this is more so affected due to the turbo's. so it is possible that you are not making enough or losing some vacuum in the system enough to not allow the IWE's to fully engage.

The shop could do a leak down test on all the lines to find out if there is a leak or if the IWE is holding vacuum... if they don't have the info on this here is what you can tell them...

Apply 508 mm (20 in) Hg of vacuum to the RH IWE port and observe vacuum reading.
Does the vacuum maintain or drop less than 25 mm (1 in) Hg per minute? if NO replace the IWE, if yes go to the LH IWE and repeat test. If No replace IWE if Yes then it is either one of the vacuum hoses or it still could be a bad IWE even though it holds vacuum it might not be opening all the way?
Thanks mamonti.

I haven't replaced the solenoid yet, I had the driver side IWE actuator replaced. My plan is to replace the solenoid and see what happens. I may also replace the reservoir just to rule it out as well. Neither are overly expensive parts from Ford and simple enough to change out on my own.

If my buzzing still exists after that I'll start digging in to the vacuum lines. I know my mechanic previously had done a vacuum test on both IWE actuators and they didn't show any signs of a vacuum leak.

My guess right now is either the solenoid, or a slow leak in the lines.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:07 PM
Engimaneer

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Mamonti pretty much nailed all issues except for one, sometimes it is also a cracked solenoid allowing water into the vacuum lines which will pool in the IWE. Then when vacuum is applied the IWE doesn't fully retract because of the water impeding its movement. Water in the line could have caused your first IWE to fail and if it wasn't drained from the lines its just doing the same to the new one. Because of how the the vacuum lines are run this will be more of an issue for the passenger side but not impossible the flood the driver side as well. Hopefully you get t resolved and make sure to check bearings in the process.
Old 05-03-2014, 12:11 PM
Frito Bandito

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks
Wow hearing more and more of this issue... Would love to hear what the final correcting fix was.

Last edited by White-Platinum; 05-03-2014 at 12:13 PM.
Old 05-05-2014, 03:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 4wd Noises

I too have the same issues, so far they have replaced the IWE the transfer case and have had the truck in numerous times, Thursday it goes in again for a weird grinding / dry bearing sound coming from the front right side. I suspect it is another actuator because when I shift into auto or full 4wd the noise is gone as well. I just hope it isn't damaging my transfer case or hubs as well with all this grinding. The friction from this sounds quite bad and it has to be wearing on something in there!!? I am getting tired of these silly little problems I have had 6 new F150 trucks from 2000 to present and this is the first time I have had any trouble what so ever with 4wd.

Thanks,

Clint
2013 F150 Limited #2171
Old 12-17-2014, 08:38 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Subscribed. Been dealing with this same issue for 3 years on my 2011. It's intermittent, never a problem when it's in the dealers hands. Warranty is out now. Seems to do it predominantly in the winter time, but not necessarily only below freezing. Keeping my fingers crossed it holds out as I'm eyeing up a '15 in my future.

The noise/grinding is much different than when the vacuum line comes off the hub, which seems to happen weekly in the winter on my lifted truck.

Quick Reply: New Noise after IWE Actuator Replacement