Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Head Unit for 2011 XLT...what about Sync?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 10:26 AM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Default New Head Unit for 2011 XLT...what about Sync?

I'm looking at a new head unit for a 2011 XLT with the basic radio and Sync.

I want a new head unit to get Apple Car Play, update the look of the truck, a backup camera input, etc.

I'm looking at something like this, and I'll also get a iDatalink Maestro ADS-MRR to enable the steering wheel controls

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130SPDA...ppRadio-4.html

This receiver has bluetooth, as well, so I don't really think I need Sync anymore. I'm just curious what happens to Sync. Does it still work? Are there any downsides if it doesn't work? Do I need it for anything else? (Maybe Sirius?) Can I (should I?) use the Sync microphone for the new Head unit?
Old 08-10-2015, 12:12 PM
4Runner Driver

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

https://www.f150forum.com/f30/2009-2...g-sync-305386/ Here ya go. Sync does nothing in my truck at this point. The module is still there, but it doesn't actually do anything, and doesn't interfere with anything. If I had it to do over again I might have gone with Maestro (mainly to keep the factory mic functional instead of having an add-on mic on top of my column) and possibly a different head unit (the Pioneer I went with sounds awesome, but the interface can be cumbersome to use while driving) than I originally did, but I still would not have kept Sync, If I had used a Maestro-compatible head unit I would have flashed Maestro to disable Sync, I hated it that much.

Last edited by Mattwrotethis; 08-10-2015 at 12:18 PM.
Old 08-10-2015, 01:57 PM
F150 Forum

Received 147 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattwrotethis
https://www.f150forum.com/f30/2009-2...g-sync-305386/ Here ya go. Sync does nothing in my truck at this point. The module is still there, but it doesn't actually do anything, and doesn't interfere with anything. If I had it to do over again I might have gone with Maestro (mainly to keep the factory mic functional instead of having an add-on mic on top of my column) and possibly a different head unit (the Pioneer I went with sounds awesome, but the interface can be cumbersome to use while driving) than I originally did, but I still would not have kept Sync, If I had used a Maestro-compatible head unit I would have flashed Maestro to disable Sync, I hated it that much.

While it is true that you can flash Maestro to not retain Sync. This enables you to re-purpose the voice and phone buttons to control the new aftermarket radio. However, you will still need to install the microphone that came with the new radio. The factory microphone only goes into the Sync module and never makes it to the radio harness. So, there is no way to get audio from that mic to the input of the radio.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-10-2015, 03:29 PM
4Runner Driver

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 12V Guy
However, you will still need to install the microphone that came with the new radio. The factory microphone only goes into the Sync module and never makes it to the radio harness.
That's good to know!

In that case, one of these days I'll snag an extra factory mic from one of my salvage yard connections and see if I can't rig up an adapter or hard-wire it to make it work with my aftermarket stereo directly.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:27 PM

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by 12V Guy
While it is true that you can flash Maestro to not retain Sync. This enables you to re-purpose the voice and phone buttons to control the new aftermarket radio. However, you will still need to install the microphone that came with the new radio. The factory microphone only goes into the Sync module and never makes it to the radio harness. So, there is no way to get audio from that mic to the input of the radio.

Hope this helps.
Great point 12v. When I upgraded to a Kenwood DNX and Maestro unit in my ride around a year ago, I read from someones reply that you "could" use the factory installed sync microphone / integrated into the Maestro unit. So I did not install the Kenwood mic and finished the install, sure wish I would have checked the voice function on the new setup before I put everything back in place.
Old 08-10-2015, 06:40 PM
One Clean Machine

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,350 Posts

I just installed a new Kenwood 892 with the Maestro RR, and retained Sync. But, I also installed the Kenwood mic to the side of the temperature controll sensor, where the opening is by the ignition.

Just incase Id like to ever use or try out Kenwoods phone bluetooth over Sync! Only took a extra half hour, and the kenwood mic is out of site and functional!

Youll need to install the mic that comes with the pioneer, in order to use voice commands or bluetooth phone with the new pioner hu!

Last edited by Toddman38; 08-10-2015 at 06:42 PM.
Old 08-11-2015, 06:33 AM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

For a 2013 with the small sync screen (not MFT), would any of the parts or installation be different?
Old 08-18-2015, 05:00 PM
F150 Forum

Received 147 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by StanF
For a 2013 with the small sync screen (not MFT), would any of the parts or installation be different?
Yes, see here please: https://www.f150forum.com/f30/maestr...screen-297206/

Quick Reply: New Head Unit for 2011 XLT...what about Sync?