Go Back   Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Late Model F150s > 2009 - Present Ford F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2013, 07:52 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 19
Thanked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default New Gears

Hey guys, I am just planning for the future. My 2013 is my truck I want for a Loooong time, so I am trying to plan on how I want to keep upgrading my truck. I am trying to see how much new gears would be and also get your opinion on how high of gears I should have. I don't tow all that much, but I also want to ability when I need to. I have a 3.55 right now, but ultimately I would love to have 34's or 35's consistently on the truck and still be able to pull a boat or trailer when I need. Like I said, I am not looking for anything RIGHT NOW, but I am trying to plan accordingly, and save accordingly. Also, if I were to do a "Google" search when I am looking for the best price of gearing, what would I type in because right now, I am getting lots of stuff, but it is all Greek to me. Thanks in advance.
Shadder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:13 AM   #2
"Lifted"
 
KingRanch4Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Georgia
Posts: 10,336
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Thanks: 85
Thanked 220 Times in 197 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Default

What engine?? With 3.55 and not towing often gears wouldn't be optimal... But you're in a good position for 4.11 gears..
__________________
2007 King Ranch Rancho 4", 325/50/22 Nitto Trails, 22X10 KMC Rockstars, Edge Gryphon CS, S&B CAI, Raptor Running boards, RE Audio SRX 10's...
http://www.f150forum.com/f78/kingran...thread-164930/
KingRanch4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:38 AM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 19
Thanked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

I am sorry, that might help......It is a 4x4 5.0L, 3.55, XLT. Thanks again. Also, what brands should I stay away from? Or...should I just stick with good old OEM Ford Parts? If so, does anyone have the part number? Last question is, with a 4x4, do I need to change both front and rear gears? Any opinions and advice would be helpful. Thanks again for the help.
Shadder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:42 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
ns_redneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: mississagua on canada
Posts: 2,336
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Thanks: 743
Thanked 281 Times in 236 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadder View Post
I am sorry, that might help......It is a 4x4 5.0L, 3.55, XLT. Thanks again. Also, what brands should I stay away from? Or...should I just stick with good old OEM Ford Parts? If so, does anyone have the part number? Last question is, with a 4x4, do I need to change both front and rear gears? Any opinions and advice would be helpful. Thanks again for the help.
yes you have to change the front and rear gears. if not the tires will turn at different speeds.
__________________

2011 f-150 xlt with xtr package. 5.0L. convinence package. sync system. lariet chrome mesh grill. chrome mirror caps. magnaflow exhaust. xtang trifecta soft tri fold taunnoe cover.harley davidson taillights. 20 inch rims.dupli colour roll in bed liner.
ns_redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ns_redneck For This Useful Post:
Shadder (08-12-2013)
Old 08-12-2013, 10:48 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: FT. DRUM
Posts: 251
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thanks: 30
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadder View Post
Hey guys, I am just planning for the future. My 2013 is my truck I want for a Loooong time, so I am trying to plan on how I want to keep upgrading my truck. I am trying to see how much new gears would be and also get your opinion on how high of gears I should have. I don't tow all that much, but I also want to ability when I need to. I have a 3.55 right now, but ultimately I would love to have 34's or 35's consistently on the truck and still be able to pull a boat or trailer when I need. Like I said, I am not looking for anything RIGHT NOW, but I am trying to plan accordingly, and save accordingly. Also, if I were to do a "Google" search when I am looking for the best price of gearing, what would I type in because right now, I am getting lots of stuff, but it is all Greek to me. Thanks in advance.
Sub'd
Im in the same boat id like to see what you go with and see wat price you end up with at the end.. But i already have 295 70 18 trials on, but dont really tow anything...YET lol
__________________
2012 XLT 5.0 4x4 Chrome Package Towing Package MODS: Airaid CAI, Roush exhaust, Extang Trifecta, Raptor Tails, Center Console(hated Jumpseat), 5 Star Tunes, HD Headlights w/ Morimoto Mini H1 Bi-Xenon projectors 5000k 5five ballast, 18" XD Monsters and 295 70 18 trail grapplers, 2.5" BDS leveling kit, Rear AAL (Procomp& fox 2.0shocks)
XLT2012F-150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:21 AM   #6
Flatlander
 
smurfs_of_war's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Saskatchewan
Posts: 2,035
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thanks: 355
Thanked 245 Times in 176 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

I want to see the outcome as well- $$$.
__________________
I drive a goat now...
smurfs_of_war is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:21 AM   #7
Member
 
nbayless36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Kansas City MO
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 3
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

I'd go atlest 4.10s but I'd really do some figuring and consider 4.56 or a 4.30 if you can get em
nbayless36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:55 PM   #8
The Ground Beetle
 
Carabidae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 390
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Thanks: 30
Thanked 45 Times in 40 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Im one step ahead of you guys, I have a 5.4l engine with 3.55 gears, also a 6" lift with 20x12 wheels and 35" tires. So yes i did some research, and i settled with the 4.56 gears, either from Yukon or Motive, But since i have a NLSD im still debating on getting a LSD.
__________________
2009 F150 5.4L XLT|Earth Metallic|6" Fabtech Lift|20x12 Moto Metal MO962 Black Satin|35/13.5 Mickey Thompson ATZ|Raptor/HD Head and Tail lights|Bilstein 5100|Volant PowerCore CAI|Bushwacker Extend-A-Fender|Kenwood DNX7380BT|Rockford Fosgate Prime|PIAA Xtreme White Plus|SCT X4 MPT Tune|More To Come...
My Carabidae Build
Carabidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:28 PM   #9
The One
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Central IL
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 29 Times in 21 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

For the occasional tower at those weight levels, to me you're fine with what you've got. If I was looking for more performance, I'd stick the money in engine mods such as headers, tune or even blower.
SNOW. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 02:09 PM   #10
Palmetto Pride
 
Moody Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 2,977
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Thanks: 114
Thanked 169 Times in 134 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carabidae View Post
Im one step ahead of you guys, I have a 5.4l engine with 3.55 gears, also a 6" lift with 20x12 wheels and 35" tires. So yes i did some research, and i settled with the 4.56 gears, either from Yukon or Motive, But since i have a NLSD im still debating on getting a LSD.
Also a 5.4 here keep me updated as my next mod is a lift and 35" tires. What tires are you running and how's gas with the 3.55?
__________________
Moody Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 02:09 PM
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Join F150 Forum

 

The Mustang Source
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2006 - 20011 F150forum.com
This site is in no way affiliated with the Ford Motor Company.