Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to F150s/Pickups Must have add-ons/options?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 05:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default New to F150s/Pickups Must have add-ons/options?

Just picked up a new F150 Lariat Ecoboost shortbed over this past weekend. I'm brand new to pickups, but have owned an Expedition with the 5.4L for 10+ years. Since that is an all enclosed vehicle, there wasn't much to mod there. Been an awesome, trouble-free truck and will miss it, but looking forward to more capable tow vehicle.

The first thing that comes to my mind when I look at the pickup is the exposed bed - no spray in liner or cover, just a tailgate extender. With Winter not too far away, I'm thinking that needs to get attention first. Soooo many options there. Would love your guy's opinions on MUST haves on bed options and more! Thanks!
Old 09-02-2014, 05:12 PM
Raptor Minion

Received 136 Likes on 105 Posts

A tonneau cover and some sort of bedliner protection would seem in order. There are tons of options. I prefer the spray on bedliner, but other folks do not. I hear a lot of good things about Line-X, but mine came as a factory option.

On covers, you can spend as little as $300 as much as $2000. Depends on how much protection you want, both from theft or from elements. This will all depend on your budget and needs. Roll-X is a very popular brand I am looking into, but its about $600. I got a Bestop cover for $300 and its OK, but doesn't completely seal the bed and I wouldn't store anything valuable in the back now.

You can get a fiber glass cover painted to match, but that's big $$$. So pick your poison based on how much protection you need and how much money you have to spend. The good thing is you have a lot of options. And you are sure to get a lot of opinions. But at the end of the day, you are the one paying for it so you will need to decide how much you can afford.

Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
Wanted33 (09-02-2014)
Old 09-02-2014, 05:36 PM

Received 330 Likes on 187 Posts

Line-x or a bedrug seems to be the options for most. I have line-x with a bedrug bed mat to soften the floor for moving around in bed (better on my old knees). I just got a Peragon cover for mine and they have top notch customer service. Had bak-flip, roll-n-lock, retrax, extang solid fold, fiberglass on different trucks I have had. As far as security and water tightness, best is fiberglass. All others let some (very little) rain in. Bak flip will allow full access to bed, but you will lose back window view with it up. Just my .02....
peragon (09-03-2014)
Old 09-02-2014, 05:38 PM
2013 Ruby Red FX4 SCrew

Received 248 Likes on 156 Posts

Everything in my sig......... except for the FX4 stuff of course...
Old 09-02-2014, 08:18 PM

Received 570 Likes on 473 Posts

I truly do like my combo.
Ford Accessories bed cover (a Truxedo Edge with a Ford logo) and a full Bedrug liner. The Edge is shockingly water tight (although I did add a tailgate seal and weather stripped a lot of the tailgate seams) and the Bedrug liner looks great and is amazingly durable. Plus, the Bedrug can be transferred to another similar model year if needed, as all you'd have to get is the velcro kit.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:22 PM
Super Moderator

Received 4,145 Likes on 2,842 Posts

yea bed cover...i have a extang trifecta(tri fold) i love that thing..water tight and can have it folded in a minute and off in 5
Old 09-02-2014, 08:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks. That helps. Looking through the threads, I like the bedtred by bed rug and bak roll-x combo along with a tailgate dampener. Worse case. If the bedtred doesnt work out I can always go with a spray in later as you guys suggest. Figure I need an atleast semi hard cover to handle weight of heavy snow but want the option of loading tall items for camping. The roll x or flip types look good. I think I like the lower profile ones....
Old 09-02-2014, 10:17 PM

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

LineX and Roll-X were my first two additions to my FX4. Also did Ford's bed extender, mudflaps (WeatherTech), clear bra, husky floor mats, and rust proofing all before winter hit last year. Over the past year I've added a TracRack bed rack, front view camera, Door Detent kit, side moulding and I'm likely forgetting something. I also added a storage bin that just fits under the tonneau cover. I have it locked in with a cable lock from the 2 tiedown points near the cab. Using Mastercraft U-lock for the bed. Part NO. 8287DAT.

The storage bin is not the most easy thing to get to. It first has to be unlocked from the cable, then pulled forward to clear the Roll-X. Found out that gets hard to do when it is full of heavy stuff and you are pulling over the Line-X liner. A big drawer that fit in there may be a better idea but I haven't found one yet. Pretty happy with the rest of the stuff though.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:13 AM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

a bit different here, not too much worry about snow.

I went with a tool box in the bed and no bed cover but I constantly carry stuff that does not need to be encliosed. Mine came with a bedliner but at some point I will fork over the money for a spray in. I have a cargo bar with divider to hold gas cans where I want them.

First thing I would buy for the interior are the Weathertech floor mats (or another brand but get something) to keep your carpet nice.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:13 PM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ocwill1
Line-x or a bedrug seems to be the options for most. I have line-x with a bedrug bed mat to soften the floor for moving around in bed (better on my old knees). I just got a Peragon cover for mine and they have top notch customer service. Had bak-flip, roll-n-lock, retrax, extang solid fold, fiberglass on different trucks I have had. As far as security and water tightness, best is fiberglass. All others let some (very little) rain in. Bak flip will allow full access to bed, but you will lose back window view with it up. Just my .02....

Does the Bedrug Velcro stick to the Line-x?
SEIKI (09-08-2014)