Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Ecoboost FX4 owner. Got some problems too

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 10:29 PM

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New Ecoboost FX4 owner. Got some problems too

whats up guys.
I bought my truck new early last month. Its a 11' Ecoboost, FX4 Luxury package with all the options. So far liking it a lot except a few things.

First, when going over bumps or pot holes, the rear literally bottoms out. I mean its very bumpy in the back. Is that normal? may be because its an FX4?

The transmission is not so smooth in shifting, u can feel a jerk in shifting specially in down shifting. I cant replicate the problem yet, but its just random.

Last part is, I have a lot of rust underneath, like surface rust. As if the truck came from up north and is a few years old. All the bolts are rusting already.The diff and drive shaft are completely covered in rust. WTF? The production date on the truck is from Feb this year and I bought it in San Antonio, drove it straight to Houston.

Here's another one, next to a friend of mine's. His is a limited edition, also recently purchased. I'm sure he's already on the forums.

so far, I have put on G2 BakFlip Cover, Bedliner, Recon Headlights (which I will probably take off soon), Huper Optik Tint and a 2" Front Lift.

Last edited by nspec; 07-04-2011 at 10:32 PM.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:37 PM
none.

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

1. Well, if the rear shocks seem to be an issue. Stand on the bumper and start a rockin' if you actually bottom out, you will know. My hypothesis is that what you are experiencing is probably the the stiff valving of the off road shocks.
2. Random crappy shifting? SCT XCAL3 tuned by 5Star, VMP, or Troyer. Anything from the dealer will revise the same crappy stock shifting.
3. Rust? Im going to be with surface rust. If its got iron and exposed to air and/or water, there will be surface oxidation.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:43 PM

Thanks for the reply. I'll check on the bottoming out part tomorrow.

as far as shifting goes, i read the thread, seem like every body is having that problem. When I take it in for an oil change, i'll have them reflash it, just to see if it improves any thing

I'll take some pics of the rust tomorrow. It just seems like there is way too much of it for a brand new vehicle.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. Don't know about the bottoming out? My doesn't "bottom out" it may ride a little different than a normal XLT.
2. Give it some miles to learn your driving the computer don't really calibrate until you get some more miles. It needs to learn how fast to fill the clutch packs in the tranny. Take it out and floor it every once in a while so it can learn. If you get ~10k on it and it is still confused take it in.
3. Sounds like surface rust there isn't a vehicle on any lot that doesn't have that. Go look at your local dealership.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:21 PM

The rust on these trucks is odd. My 2011 F150 has more rust than my never garaged 2000 Silverado ...and I am not exaggerating.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:26 PM

The rust is way more than it should be, which is none, specially for a truck thats coming from south Texas. My friends dont have any rust on theirs.

Wait till I post pictures of it...
Old 07-04-2011, 11:29 PM

I agree on teh disconcerning amount of unpainted underbody components that are oxidizing. I think most of us that have shifted over from Chevy Trucks are having the greatest shock maybe?? My 10 year old Avalanche ( that I bought new ) had ZERO rust on anything underneath... in fact I was always amazed how new it looked under there after all the years ( as I did oil changes, or slid under the truck to have some drinks )

I guess it is no big deal, but I can see bright orange wheel hubs through my 20" wheels and my drive-shaft looks like a carrot! But if you guys say it's a normal thing, I accept that. I really like my truck so far. 2200 miles.

nspec, your FX4 looks great. Good luck and hope the shock thing is just a thing to get used to instead of something is busted.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:32 PM
Senior almost

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Truck looks nice.....
Old 07-05-2011, 01:43 AM
2010fx4

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

nice truck but why are you taking the recon's off??, and what did you do with your stock headlights, i need a pair haha.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:00 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Yippie21
I agree on teh disconcerning amount of unpainted underbody components that are oxidizing. I think most of us that have shifted over from Chevy Trucks are having the greatest shock maybe?? My 10 year old Avalanche ( that I bought new ) had ZERO rust on anything underneath... in fact I was always amazed how new it looked under there after all the years ( as I did oil changes, or slid under the truck to have some drinks )

I guess it is no big deal, but I can see bright orange wheel hubs through my 20" wheels and my drive-shaft looks like a carrot! But if you guys say it's a normal thing, I accept that. I really like my truck so far. 2200 miles.

nspec, your FX4 looks great. Good luck and hope the shock thing is just a thing to get used to instead of something is busted.
I do believe (not 100%) GM uses aluminum driveshafts to prevent a shudder problem they were experiencing and to appease buyers who didn't appreciate orange on they're brand new trucks. Mine also has a pretty orange driveshaft and hubs. They'll still outlast every other metal component on the truck.

Quick Reply: New Ecoboost FX4 owner. Got some problems too