Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 8 speed transmission!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 01:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default New 8 speed transmission!!!!!!!

Ford Announces New 8-Speed Transmission, Split Cooling System Technology

Posted by Mike Levine | June 2, 2011

Ford says it plans to offer new eight-speed automatic transmissions across its vehicle lineup that offer improved fuel economy and ultra-precise shifts.
The gearbox will allow Ford to continue its effort to downsize engine displacement without affecting performance, said Joe Bakaj, Ford's vice president of global powertrain engineering.
"The eight-speed will offer 2 to 6 percent better fuel economy" compared with today's six-speed transmission, like that found in the Ford F-150, Bakaj said. "It will have a wide ratio spread, so customers can run a shorter gear [than today] pulling away from a stop."
The eight-speed will also feature what Ford says is the industry's first torque input sensor. The sensor will measure torque coming into the transmission, enabling faster gear selection, reducing gear hunting and helping smooth out shifts.
"The transmission knows how much torque is needed and will be able to variably control pressure on the clutch packs to deliver smooth shifts," Bakaj said.
Hydraulic actuators that control line pressure applied to clutch plates during shifts will be directly integrated into the transmission case instead of embedded in a separate assembly that's bolted inside the housing, like today's Ford transmissions use. The integrated construction promises tighter component fit and less component flexibility which can stress the sensitive parts.
Bakaj didn't say which cars and trucks will get the new transmission, but we imagine it will be a perfect match for the Ford F-150, which currently uses a six-speed 6R80 automatic gearbox.
Ford also announced a so-called split cooling system that allows the cylinder block to warm up before the cylinder head, improving engine mileage and efficiency. The system saves fuel during cold weather or short trips because oil and engine fluid viscosity rises as temperatures fall, so more work and more fuel is required to overcome friction in the powertrain.
"It's actually a single cooling loop with multiple circuits," said Brett Hinds, manager of Ford EcoBoost engine development. "We [variably] block coolant to the radiator [when the engine is cold] to warm up the engine block sooner while still allowing coolant to flow to the heads [which sit on top of the engine block over the cylinders]."
The spit cooling system will debut on
Old 06-02-2011, 01:14 PM
Okie Coupe

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

Ford may not have figured out how to get the quirks out of the current 6 speed without increasing number of speeds.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:15 PM
First Tiger of G.R.O.S.S.

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

hot.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:26 PM

Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by shortride
Ford may not have figured out how to get the quirks out of the current 6 speed without increasing number of speeds.
Yeah that's what I was thinking. I was thinking of trading my 2010 in a couple years but since they didn't do too well with the new(09/10) 6 spd I'd be really hesitant to get a brand new 8 spd.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:31 PM

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts

great, what's next - 2 speed reverse?
Old 06-02-2011, 01:37 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1fitty
great, what's next - 2 speed reverse?
a CVT?
Old 06-02-2011, 01:49 PM
Hillbilly redneck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does that mean that the 6 speed was Vista programming and the 8 speed is Windows 7 programming?
Old 06-02-2011, 01:59 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

yay....now we can wait even longer for the transmission to figure otu which gear to shift into to pass someone....
Old 06-02-2011, 02:02 PM
Dan

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Give me a maul 6 speed. I know better than a computer. And give me a traction control fully disable button. I know better than a computer
Old 06-02-2011, 02:23 PM

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Behemoth_F-150
Does that mean that the 6 speed was Vista programming and the 8 speed is Windows 7 programming?
Older tech is always the stepping stone to newer tech. Its the way of things and I hope Ford has learned from the flaws of the 6R80. Also going 8 speed is a huge leap because once you go 8 you cant go back. I just hope the first 6 gears allow for some get up and go then the last 2 gears are for MPG.

Quick Reply: New 8 speed transmission!!!!!!!