Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help from you Texans.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 08:21 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Need help from you Texans.

Me and my wife just started looking to move to Texas, she had a job offer from a hospital in El Paso Texas. We are looking for ideas on where to look for a home to buy. Any suggestions from locals would be great. We would like a newer home in a quite or country type setting area. We are looking for ideas on which areas would be a great place to search, also other areas close to El Paso are more then welcome. I figured this would be a good area on the forum to ask since it's quite active here. Thanks.
Old 07-29-2015, 05:23 AM

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

There really isn't other "areas" near El Paso . Horizon and the other sub towns if you can call them that all run into El Paso but the nearest other town is an hour away in las cruces New Mexico but people do do the commute from there. I lived there for three years left in summer of 13. The Far east side was booming when I left all newer and still building housing was quiet and on the far edge of town my back yard opened up into the desert could hop on the quad and take off. I will pry be moving back there next summer. Is she going to be working at the newer hospital on that side of town? I think it was called Sierra providence East medical center. And if you move there be prepared to never see green grass again lol

Last edited by DanAustin; 07-29-2015 at 05:27 AM.
Old 07-29-2015, 07:56 AM

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

EL PASO....really..? Good luck
Old 07-29-2015, 09:58 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Sorry bud, I can't help. Even though I'm in Texas, El Paso is 750 miles from me. Good luck in your search.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:01 AM

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

What exactly does she do?

Check around Houston. There's a plethora of other hospitals here, as well as free standing emergency rooms. Healthcare is huge here. Me and my girlfriend are both medics but she's an RN on the side as well.

Memorial Hermann Hospital System is building a fairly large campus right around the corner from my house in Cypress. Word is that this will be a Level II Trauma center.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:32 AM
4Runner Driver

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

The problem you're going to run into, is that other than El Paso, there's practically nothing out there in west Texas. It's over four hours away from Midland & Odessa, almost six hours from San Angelo, etc. All there is in between are small towns of a few hundred to a few thousand (including the county seats). Those towns are separated by miles and miles in most cases as well. Texas is a HUGE place. You could drive from El Paso to Los Angeles, California faster than you could get from El Paso to Texarkana. Most of us just don't know the area that well. I used to vacation in west Texas every summer (the dry air and lack of pollen helped my allergies a ton!) but never went quite as far west as El Paso (usually camped at Balmorhea State Park, 2.5 hours away from El Paso).

Even though a large number of us F150 owners are from Texas, the majority of us are from the areas around Houston, Austin, Waco, Dallas, Fort Worth, or San Antonio.

Your closest cities to El Paso are the aforementioned Las Cruces, New Mexico, and Ciudad Juarez, Mexico.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:15 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

El Paso... I'm sorry.. Now North Texas is pretty good.. (DFW area) Good luck!
Old 07-29-2015, 12:16 PM

Received 233 Likes on 158 Posts

I've been traveling through and staying nearby the El Paso, TX area for 25 years. I do not care for El Paso.
I always stay in Las Cruces, NM for any any overnight stays.
A little bit of a commute to El Paso, but would be worth it IMO.

Last edited by Old Smoky; 07-29-2015 at 12:19 PM.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:53 PM
4Runner Driver

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

The other thing to remember about western Texas is that it's almost Australia-like in that a large portion of the wildlife can kill you. There are the scorpions the size of mice, mountain lions, gila monsters (a venomous lizard), several kinds of rattlesnake, etc. A place "out in the country" is going to be mostly dirt, rocks, sand, and harsh vegetation like cactus and prairie grass (only when it has rained lately, which isn't frequent). It'll get hotter than hell (100-110 is not an uncommon high) in the day time, and almost cold (can dip to the 50s) at night in the summer.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:12 PM

Received 308 Likes on 247 Posts

buy a horse and get a cowboy hat, we really all do have one down here. "Y'all" is a normal word and you'll love Whataburger. Sorry can't help with the house thing way out in El Paso.

Quick Reply: Need help from you Texans.