Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a bit of help locating a power wire.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 10:33 PM
SS..DD

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Default Need a bit of help locating a power wire.

I'm looking at putting on a turn signals DRL module and everything is pretty clear but I'm having some trouble finding this:

"Connecting to the Ignition Wire

The YELLOW wire coming from the module needs to be connected to a switched power circuit. Locate a circuit that is fused for at least 15 amps. An additional length of wire is included in order to extend this wire. Use the appropriate connectors to make this connection."

The closer to the engine compartment the better, could someone who has done a lot of wiring work help point me to what would fit the above?

Thank you!
Old 01-21-2012, 10:39 PM
Your Ad Here

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

I will be interested to see how you do. ... I tried to install one of these modules tapping into the wires at the SJB (passenger kick panel) and couldn't get it to work correctly.... I ruled out splicing in the engine compartment due to my own concerns about long term reliability/corrosion.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:42 PM
SS..DD

It's the daytime lights module here (the generic one). Was it this one?

http://www.webelectricproducts.com/

I also have a Philips LED Daylight 8 module pair, but I can't really find a place to mount it, thus the DRL-1 module.

Last edited by Damn Dirty Ape; 01-21-2012 at 10:45 PM.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:47 PM
Your Ad Here

Originally Posted by Damn Dirty Ape
It's the daytime lights module here (the generic one).

http://www.webelectricproducts.com/

I also have a Philips LED Daylight 8 module pair, but I can't really find a place to mount it, thus the DRL-1 module.
This is the same I have.... I couldn't get it to blink correctly with the parking lights off from tapping the SJB in the cab. The owner was great in trying to help, but we didn't solve the problem I had. I know there are at least one or two on this board with an 09+ that use this module successfully.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:10 PM
SS..DD

Were you trying to use the sync or unsync mode?
Old 01-21-2012, 11:41 PM
Ford Freak

Received 171 Likes on 106 Posts

I tapped my halos into a fuse in the fuse box above the radiator. It comes on with the key. It's fuse #76 on my '09, the layout and number of the fuses are written under the lid of the fuse box. I just used a $5 circut tester from the auto parts to find it, kept checking each fuse until I found one that went on and off with the key, since some of them are always hot and some are not. It's been that way over six months and no problems, just used a fuse tap and hooked the hot wire up to it and the ground to the battery.

Below are pictures of two diferent types of fuse taps...

The one I used is on top and the wire I hooked to it had an inline fuse. If you do not have an inline fuse. You can use an add-a-circut in the fuse position, this adds two fuses to the same position, one for the original circut and one for the new circut. This may not fit under the cover of some fuse boxes. A picture of one is below...

Last edited by fordfan77; 01-22-2012 at 12:00 AM.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:35 AM
SS..DD

Originally Posted by fordfan77
I tapped my halos into a fuse in the fuse box above the radiator. It comes on with the key. It's fuse #76 on my '09, the layout and number of the fuses are written under the lid of the fuse box. I just used a $5 circut tester from the auto parts to find it, kept checking each fuse until I found one that went on and off with the key, since some of them are always hot and some are not. It's been that way over six months and no problems, just used a fuse tap and hooked the hot wire up to it and the ground to the battery.

Below are pictures of two diferent types of fuse taps...

The one I used is on top and the wire I hooked to it had an inline fuse. If you do not have an inline fuse. You can use an add-a-circut in the fuse position, this adds two fuses to the same position, one for the original circut and one for the new circut. This may not fit under the cover of some fuse boxes. A picture of one is below...
I'll check that one tomorrow, the lead going to it is fused so that might be a great place; I have used both types at one time or another. Thanks for reminding me about the fuse box and those taps

Old 01-22-2012, 12:48 AM
Ford Freak

Received 171 Likes on 106 Posts

No problem.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:17 AM
Your Ad Here

Originally Posted by Damn Dirty Ape
Were you trying to use the sync or unsync mode?
Tried both ways... basically anytime the module was engaged I would get an inconsistent blink. Tried with another module and same thing - very strange.

Here's a couple of diagrams I have for the fuse box under the hood and wiring to the front turns that might be of help to you... These are for 2012.
Attached Thumbnails Need a bit of help locating a power wire.-bjb-fuse-diagram.jpg   Need a bit of help locating a power wire.-bjb-fuse-layout.jpg   Need a bit of help locating a power wire.-left-front-turn-park-connector.jpg   Need a bit of help locating a power wire.-rf-park-turn-lamp-connector.jpg   Need a bit of help locating a power wire.-park-lights-bcm.jpg  

Last edited by kjo43; 01-22-2012 at 09:19 AM.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:39 AM
SS..DD

Thanks that looks like it will be a huge help. I have a backup plan if I can't get it to work.

Quick Reply: Need a bit of help locating a power wire.