Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nav/SYNC navigation voice changes volume

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 03:53 PM

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Default Nav/SYNC navigation voice changes volume

I've been driving my 2010 F-150 with Nav/SYNC for 10 months and 7,000 miles and finally concluded that the Nav/SYNC GPS voice volume is screwed up.

The GPS voice directions has been changing volume from time to time without me setting a new volume level through user commands. It really pisses me off One time I hear the directions loud and clear and the next time they are such low volume, it is impossible to hear. Then I am forced to reset the GPS voice direction volume to a normal listening level.

Cause: When I use the decrease volume control button on my steering wheel while the GPS voice is "talking", the volume control decreases the GPS voice volume. IMHO this is bad.

I have not experimented to see if the same effect works in the increase volume mode.

Anyone else notice this undesireable "feature"? It usually happens when I am getting into unfamiliar territory where I would like to hear the navigation directions, so I turn the Jukebox volume down and just as I do that, the GPS coincidentally kicks in and its volume lowers at the same time.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea, it is kind of annoying. I've noticed that basically any time one of the Sync menus are on (or the GPS speaks) all of the volume controls (wheel and console) change the Sync voice volume. To answer your question, yes turning the volume up while on a Sync screen will turn the Sync voice up. Kind of weird that they have the dedicated 'Feed back Volume' menu, but then let you accidentally change the volume whenever it wants to speak to you (which seems like every 30 seconds or so in my truck).
Old 11-02-2010, 07:53 AM

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by steenbag
.......whenever it wants to speak to you (which seems like every 30 seconds or so in my truck).
I know the feeling about "too much SYNC voice information". On a recent 3,500 mile road trip, I was driving along some desolate Interstate highway at 2 a.m. when "the voice" comes on and advises me that it wants to send a vehicle performace check to its home base, or something like that. I hit the "Cancel" button on the screen. It seems like it was repeating every 50 miles until I finally stopped at a rest area and got out the 700 page owner's manual and found the instructions for turning off that particular "feature".

What other surprise "SYNC voice" features are going to pop up?

I know. I'm supposed to read the entire 700 page owner's manual.

Somehow I don't think that's going to happen. I'll just wait for the "SYNC voice" surprise.

Quick Reply: Nav/SYNC navigation voice changes volume