Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My new taillights.... (?)

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 04:44 PM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default My new taillights.... (?)

Hello F150 forum!

Just joined the site. I have a feeling this could get expensive...

Couple days ago I replaced my head and taillights with new OEM black. Noticed this "line" on the inside of both taillights and thought hmmm, what's that about? Installed them anyway. Today when I got home from work, it really caught my eye. It's starting to bother me because it doesn't look too good.

Anyone have an explanation for this very obvious line/seam inside the taillights? The stock 13STX taillights have them also but not this noticeable. Are they all like this or did someone sell me rejects or something?

Last edited by 4Stroke; 08-07-2015 at 04:55 PM.
Old 08-07-2015, 05:02 PM

Received 108 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by 4Stroke
Hello F150 forum!

Just joined the site. I have a feeling this could get expensive...

Couple days ago I replaced my head and taillights with new OEM black. Noticed this "line" on the inside of both taillights and thought hmmm, what's that about? Installed them anyway. Today when I got home from work, it really caught my eye. It's starting to bother me because it doesn't look too good.

Anyone have an explanation for this very obvious line/seam inside the taillights? The stock 13STX taillights have them also but not this noticeable. Are they all like this or did someone sell me rejects or something?

They are all like this both my stock stx one and the fx ones i have now have that line my best guess is its where the edge of the plastic mold was when they made it and that is where the edge was sanded down , they arent rejects they are legit its just the way it is try not to worry about it too much its a very minor detail youll forget its there with time
Old 08-07-2015, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by DylanCulbreth
They are all like this both my stock stx one and the fx ones i have now have that line my best guess is its where the edge of the plastic mold was when they made it and that is where the edge was sanded down , they arent rejects they are legit its just the way it is try not to worry about it too much its a very minor detail youll forget its there with time
Maybe yours isn't as noticeable?

If this is how they're all made, someone in quality control needs some glasses.

Live and learn I guess..... I'll try to forget about it but, that's like telling an owner of a new truck..... don't worry about that obvious scratch running the length of your door, it's only a minor detail.

I know it's not a scratch but it sure looks like one to me.
Old 08-07-2015, 08:26 PM

No rain in days around here.
Started cooling off outside this evening and this is what I found. Upper corner not pictured also has moisture in it. Guess I'll be making a trip to the dealer?

Old 08-07-2015, 08:52 PM
F150 Forum

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

No rain in days around here.
Started cooling off outside this evening and this is what I found. Upper corner not pictured also has moisture in it. Guess I'll be making a trip to the dealer?

That's normal moisture. It's all detailed in the owners manual
Old 08-07-2015, 08:55 PM

Received 845 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by CUSTOM COATINGS
^^^^exactly, right in the owners manual
Old 08-07-2015, 08:59 PM

Received 845 Likes on 495 Posts

Same on mine, think it's just a little more noticeable with the black
Old 08-07-2015, 09:04 PM

Received 394 Likes on 361 Posts

IIRC those covers are injection mold pieces, meaning that's where the 2 (or more) mold cavities came together. Because it's a clear lense, they can't sand it too mutch or they risk getting into the rest of the lens. It's a fine line to dance around, and I'm sure it's completely automated. If it bothers you that much, you're going to probably have to make your own.

If you're really careful I'm sure you could take a razor blade to try to shave off that line, but I wouldn't recommend it. Good luck.
Old 08-07-2015, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by CUSTOM COATINGS
Didn't know that... thanks. Just seems strange to me since I've never had moister collect inside any tail or headlights on any of my vehicles.

Purchased the truck (13STX) about a month ago, I'll have to do some more reading in the owners manual
Old 08-07-2015, 09:20 PM
F150 Forum

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Didn't know that... thanks. Just seems strange to me since I've never had moister collect inside any tail or headlights on any of my vehicles.

Purchased the truck (13STX) about a month ago, I'll have to do some more reading in the owners manual
Yeah, other makes have it too. It's the new vented design. Fog, or moisture is normal. Pooling of water is not. I used to have the link for the exact page in the manual, but that phone is long gone