Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 2013 FX4 took on water, keep the truck? :icon_cry:

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy My 2013 FX4 took on water, keep the truck? :icon_cry:

New 2013 FX4 EcoBoost. Came up on a puddle that looked to be a 1-2 feet deep after it had just rained. Crossed it, and discovered a rut in the middle and all of a sudden the hood just went DOWN and water was coming over the hood (hopefully just from the splash, I got out before I could find out the true depth of the puddle).

Figuring the truck is probably ****ed anyways, in a dire attempt to save it, I buried the gas and managed to get out of the water before it hydrolocked.

The truck was in and out of the water in probably 4-6 seconds.

I pulled the intake hose off of the airbox, and found some water sitting in the tube. Called a tow truck and made an insurance claim to cover my ***.

After arriving at the ford dealership and my claims adjuster doing a "complete inspection" (which he overlooked quite a few issues) they determined all that was needed was a new splash guard on the bottom of the cab (must have hit something in the water) new front bumper (was flipped kind of inside out) and intercooler (damaged by the bumper).

The interior appears to be completely dry, though I did not look under the dash near the HVAC gear.

It runs and drives technically, doesn't appear to have any engine issues according to my insurance adjuster (I haven't seen it running since the incident).

There is a light coating of muddy water on the bottom of the hood, over the ECU box and everything else, so I know the water ended up pretty ****ing high.

Has anyone been in a similar situation? Is it worth it to trade in the truck for a new one (only has 7500 miles on it, only made 2 payments on it so far) to avoid future hidden problems, or is this not the biggest deal for an F150?

I'd rather lose a few grand now than deal with the future problems (if any) if there may be wiring issues, mold etc that will make life hell down the line. Have 6 years of payments left on it, I'd rather not spend 6 years in a truck that is nothing but problems due to the water).

My buddy who was also in the truck is saying that I'm overreacting because we weren't in the water long enough for anything bad to actually happen. I just bought my dream truck which cost literally 10x more than my last car and took every penny I have and am going to have to purchase, so I'm worked up to say the least.

Last edited by p71vic; 04-02-2013 at 04:07 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:10 PM
PPPPPuppy Power

Received 887 Likes on 653 Posts

That sounds pretty bad.

I'd get rid of it and get another one
Old 04-02-2013, 06:12 PM

Received 105 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by p71vic
New 2013 FX4 EcoBoost. Came up on a puddle that looked to be a 1-2 feet deep after it had just rained. Crossed it, and discovered a rut in the middle and all of a sudden the hood just went DOWN and water was coming over the hood (hopefully just from the splash, I got out before I could find out the true depth of the puddle).

Figuring the truck is probably ****ed anyways, in a dire attempt to save it, I buried the gas and managed to get out of the water before it hydrolocked.

The truck was in and out of the water in probably 4-6 seconds.

I pulled the intake hose off of the airbox, and found some water sitting in the tube. Called a tow truck and made an insurance claim to cover my ***.

After arriving at the ford dealership and my claims adjuster doing a "complete inspection" (which he overlooked quite a few issues) they determined all that was needed was a new splash guard on the bottom of the cab (must have hit something in the water) new front bumper (was flipped kind of inside out) and intercooler (damaged by the bumper).

The interior appears to be completely dry, though I did not look under the dash near the HVAC gear.

It runs and drives technically, doesn't appear to have any engine issues according to my insurance adjuster (I haven't seen it running since the incident).

There is a light coating of muddy water on the bottom of the hood, over the ECU box and everything else, so I know the water ended up pretty ****ing high.

Has anyone been in a similar situation? Is it worth it to trade in the truck for a new one (only has 7500 miles on it, only made 2 payments on it so far) to avoid future hidden problems, or is this not the biggest deal for an F150?

I'd rather lose a few grand now than deal with the future problems (if any) if there may be wiring issues, mold etc that will make life hell down the line. Have 6 years of payments left on it, I'd rather not spend 6 years in a truck that is nothing but problems due to the water).

My buddy who was also in the truck is saying that I'm overreacting because we weren't in the water long enough for anything bad to actually happen. I just bought my dream truck which cost literally 10x more than my last car and took every penny I have and am going to have to purchase, so I'm worked up to say the least.
Probably just paranoid. I know how much us f-150 owner care for our trucks. I defiantly wouldn't run out and trade trucks over it though unless something was discovered that was really bad.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ive had mulltiple jeeps, rangers etc over my hood in water. your fine. if you didnt hydro the motor then your good to go. make sure everythings dry and clean under the hood. id also change out your fluids especially your front axle. if you drove forward through it and dunked your tc tranny and rear end i would also chang out those fluids. but do not cost yourself a few grand bc you got it a little wet! these trucks are built better than that
Old 04-02-2013, 06:29 PM

Received 126 Likes on 93 Posts

You took it in and had it looked at by your Ford Dealership, Insurance through Ford says its not water damaged and you didn't get any water inside the truck! Apparently your not satisfied, nothing is going to give you the piece of mind your looking for surely not anyone on these forums. You saw the incident first had and you can't erase it from your mind. If your have any reservations and can't get past it than trade it in, six years is too long to be worried about something that you care so much about, thinking that tomorrow your going to be stuck with a lemon.

Having said all that, I would say if Ford and the insurance people say its fine, then I would think its fine, none of us know what gremlins live in these trucks and anyone of us can have major issue tomorrow water damage or not.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:59 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 647 Posts

Moved to 09'-Present section.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:01 PM
Unofficial Glass Guru

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

lets get some pictures of it, I may need some parts, LOL
Old 04-02-2013, 07:45 PM
One Bad MoFoMoCo Owner

Received 394 Likes on 259 Posts

I would say it's fine, as long as it was fresh water.

Had a buddy do that once on the coast with salt water. That was not good.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Put a 32oz bag of rice on the floorboard an you should be just fine. Not instant rice!!
The following users liked this post:
p71vic (04-02-2013)
Old 04-02-2013, 08:23 PM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

quit going in mud if your worried about a little water

Quick Reply: My 2013 FX4 took on water, keep the truck? :icon_cry: