Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MPP extended warranty

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 11:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default MPP extended warranty

I walked away from the dealer thinking I got a good deal on my 2010 Screw. My truck's MSRP was $42,000i and change. After rebates and incentives I was down to $29,000 and change. Traded in my Chevy and received 18,000 which had me financing 14,000ish with an extended warranty. This is not a look at my deal story, just the background.

The issue is I have seen a lot of talk about warranties on here lately and it has gotten me looking at my warranty. You see I decided to buy an extended plan during financing for the first time ever. I did not realize I was NOT buying the FORD plan and actually bought MPP (Mechanical Protection Plan). How many other people have bought this plan and have there been any issues when actually needing to use it. If it is not a good plan I would to know as I have only been in the truck for 3 months and can cancel the plan; in turn getting the pro-rated amount applied back to my note. The sooner I do this the better. I feel like such a dope for not catching this at the time.

Any thoughts on MPP (not on me being a Dope! lol). I have searched and have not come up with any MPP topics. Thanks
Old 01-27-2011, 07:54 AM

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Go back and get the Ford Warranty. Then you know who you are dealing with. The other one , who knows. I would go back right now, or better yet, call right now and insist on the Ford Extended Warranty. Let me know how you make out.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:23 AM
2018 Lariat 4x4

Received 91 Likes on 70 Posts

I got it. I love the fact that for 7yrs/100K all I have to worry about is tires and gas (and washing and rain-x)
Old 01-27-2011, 10:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the MPP warranty, and here's my thoughts on it:

I like the idea of not having to pay for oil changes and scheduled maintenance for 6 years. The problem is that it works for scheduled maintenance, and if you look at your service manual, it recommends oil changes every 7500 miles. That just seems a little long to me between oil changes. On the other hand, I haven't tried getting a refund on early maintenance yet.

My other problem is that I bought my truck from a dealer that is about 40 minutes from my house. There are two Ford dealerships closer than where I bought my truck, so it doesn't make sense for me to go to that dealer for maintenance. As I just found out, though, one of the dealers close to me won't recognize the MPP plan. So I had to pay out of pocket and then send in copies of the receipts to MPP for a refund. I got the refund, no problem, but it is kind of a pain in the ***.

One good thing about it is that if you decide you don't want it anymore, you can cancel it and they'll pro-rate the cost back to you. But like any good salesman, they'll call you and do everything they can to keep you from canceling. Trust me, I tried. But then they gave me an extra year of protection for free, so I figured it was worth it.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:42 PM
2018 Lariat 4x4

Originally Posted by texasgator
I have the MPP warranty, and here's my thoughts on it:

There are two Ford dealerships closer than where I bought my truck, so it doesn't make sense for me to go to that dealer for maintenance. As I just found out, though, one of the dealers close to me won't recognize the MPP plan. So I had to pay out of pocket and then send in copies of the receipts to MPP for a refund. I got the refund, no problem, but it is kind of a pain in the ***.
:
Really? I'd take that up with Ford. I was promised any Ford dealership would recognize it, not just particular ones.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueSpark
Really? I'd take that up with Ford. I was promised any Ford dealership would recognize it, not just particular ones.
I was promised that too. But by the time I got my truck down there to deal with it, I wasn't about to take my truck back and go somewhere else. I got a check straight from MPP so it worked out. My solution is that I'm just not going to that dealer anymore. Too bad they lost my business.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:21 PM
2018 Lariat 4x4

Originally Posted by texasgator

I was promised that too. But by the time I got my truck down there to deal with it, I wasn't about to take my truck back and go somewhere else. I got a check straight from MPP so it worked out. My solution is that I'm just not going to that dealer anymore. Too bad they lost my business.
I guess what surprises me is Ford not strong-arming them. I'm curious whether *that* dealer sells MPP (?)
Old 01-27-2011, 05:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BlueSpark
I got it. I love the fact that for 7yrs/100K all I have to worry about is tires and gas (and washing and rain-x)

Yeah I like the free oil changes and tire rotations. However, reading through the MPP guide, that you get well after the 100 % refund 30 day cancellation period, it sounds like you have to take your truck in on the established month/mile maintenance schedule. If you do not it almost sounds like the warranty is no longer applicable if you break that maintenance schedule. I am going to reread the guide and see if I read it wrong or has anyone else comes across a failure to not pay for not following the maintenance schedule.

Oh yeah, I was told as well that any FORD dealer honors MPP. I actually thought it WAS the factory extended plan. They did not even try to sell theirs. I t is not like they made a ton of extra money for me buying the MPP as they kept coming down in price each time I said no until I finally took it.

Why would they not offer Ford's?
Old 01-27-2011, 05:37 PM

Received 531 Likes on 407 Posts

Default Don't buy a THIRD PARTY extended warranty

There are TWO types of EXTENDED WARRANTIES endorsed by FORD.

One is the FORD ESP (Extended Service Plan).

another one is the FORD PMP (Premium Maintenance Plan).

The ESP comes in 4 levels... Power Train, Basic, Extra, and Premium.
Each one covers varying levels of protection. The Premium covering almost everything!

the Premium Maintenance Plan covers regular scheduled maintenance as covered in your owners manual. you can choose the 5,000 or the 7,500 mile interval. It also covers a couple of other things such as wiper blades, belts, hoses, etc.

I have BOTH OF THESE! I paid $665 for the ESP, and $990 for the PMP.
6 years / 75,000 miles.

If it wasn't a FORD ESP, i'd cancel it! You should have got a contract for the extended warranty. Did it say "FORD ESP" on the top?????
The following users liked this post:
jmeng (03-07-2013)
Old 01-27-2011, 05:52 PM
2018 Lariat 4x4

Yeah. This is the Ford plan, not the one from the corrupt place in Florida that they try to sell with used cars.

And I can't agree with you more about 3rd party warrantees.

Quick Reply: MPP extended warranty