Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mounting led tailgate light

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 10:51 PM

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

Default Mounting led tailgate light

Can someone tell me how the hell this thing is supposed to be mounted? Its a pacer 60" led tailgate light i got on ebay a while ago. The instructions are horrible and are barely even legible. Pictures are useless. If mount the double sided tape pads to the part of the bed, the leds would be facing up. I tried to see if there was a way to mount it to the tailgate itself but there wasn't cause of the video camera wiring harness.
The way its sitting in the pic is how it would need to be mounted because the leds would be pointed to the rear. Hell im not even sure if they would be bright enough as some appear to be blocked halfway by the black paint. Im really thinking of getting another one.
Name:  20150801_154132.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  4.82 MB
Old 08-01-2015, 11:01 PM

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

You have to take the tail gate off. Disco the camera wire harness underneath first. You will see a channel where it mounts. Clean area real good with alcohol first.
Old 08-01-2015, 11:07 PM

so it mounts to the tailgate and not the small area on the bed itself... hmmm.
Old 08-01-2015, 11:12 PM
dannyboy

Received 61 Likes on 55 Posts

I should mount in the gap under the tailgate facing out.
Old 08-01-2015, 11:14 PM
F150 Owner & Operator

Received 297 Likes on 202 Posts

It does NOT mount to the tailgate.....it sticks to the bed itself to the area that is visible just under the tailgate and above the bumper.
You may want to test the lights first, (bench test) before sticking them on to make sure the LED's are installed correctly on the that mounting bar itself.
Old 08-01-2015, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by Ford Customs
It does NOT mount to the tailgate.....it sticks to the bed itself to the area that is visible just under the tailgate and above the bumper.
You may want to test the lights first, (bench test) before sticking them on to make sure the LED's are installed correctly on the that mounting bar itself.

thats what i had planned to do today. Had everything out but the directions were impossible to read. Looking at it i could not figure out, the double sided tape, if mounted to the bed, would make the leds face upwards and lite up the underside of the tailgate. I also wanted to test it to just make sure it even worked as the box was beat to hell and just plain old looking. But the trucks towing 4 plug looked like it had pins in it from the factory as I could not get the 4 pin harness for the led lights to go into the plug.
Name:  20150801_154053.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  3.38 MB
Old 08-03-2015, 11:45 PM

alright this plug does not want to go into the factory outlet. There is nothing on the plug for the lights that is prohibiting it, the factory 4 pin outlet looks like it has 3 pins installed in it that's preventing the plug from going in.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:04 AM
2nd Amendment Supporter!

Received 407 Likes on 304 Posts

Default Mounting led tailgate light

It's hard to tell from the pic I'm seeing (using the mobile GT app right now)... But it almost appears that the 3 female sockets on the truck wiring plug, has 3 male broken off studs in it! (Damn.... That sounds perverted, don't it??? Lol)
But maybe get some small needle nose pliers, or strong tweezers & try to get them out.
Not sure if I'm correct & just by looking at that pic sure the hell looks like it.
Maybe compare that to another vehicle & try plugging it in that socket to help rule out that possibility.
Also the plug MAY be fine (again the pic is hard to see) but sometimes the actual shape of the LED plug plastic surround may not fit good on the truck's plug. Make sure that is not hindering it too....
Keep us posted!

Last edited by Lethal Weapon; 08-04-2015 at 12:08 AM.
Old 08-04-2015, 01:16 AM

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

The connector on the light bar should look like this

Which would fit into ur truck

Last edited by needparts; 08-04-2015 at 01:27 AM.
The following users liked this post:
F150_Trucking (08-06-2015)
Old 08-06-2015, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by Lethal Weapon
It's hard to tell from the pic I'm seeing (using the mobile GT app right now)... But it almost appears that the 3 female sockets on the truck wiring plug, has 3 male broken off studs in it! (Damn.... That sounds perverted, don't it??? Lol)
But maybe get some small needle nose pliers, or strong tweezers & try to get them out.
Not sure if I'm correct & just by looking at that pic sure the hell looks like it.
Maybe compare that to another vehicle & try plugging it in that socket to help rule out that possibility.
Also the plug MAY be fine (again the pic is hard to see) but sometimes the actual shape of the LED plug plastic surround may not fit good on the truck's plug. Make sure that is not hindering it too....
Keep us posted!
Thats exactly what i've been trying to say. And yes the plug on the light bar looks exactly like the one in the pic. It will not plug into the truck at all. I'll try again pulling on the male looking part thats on the truck and see if it comes out.

Quick Reply: Mounting led tailgate light