Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More exhaust noise.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 11:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More exhaust noise.

I wanted more exhaust noise from my 2014 5.0 but didn't want the dreaded drone

I went with an 18" stainless Magna-flow muffler and was/am a little disappointed with the sound at idle. It has decent sound in the cabin when you get on it.

The exhaust shop said they could remove the resonator but also said the muffler will get louder as it "wears" in. I didn't want them to hack up or weld anything in place of the resonator - that way I could go back with the stock resonator if I needed to.

Being a cheap ***, I found a resonator delete pipe from a 2010 F150 on Rock Auto for $30 shipped as opposed to $130 for the OEM. Yeah it isn't stainless but I figure it would let me try it out. It came today and darn it the outlet end that mates to the muffler pipe is tapered in rather than flared out like the OEM resonator outlet. (The OEM muffler inlet pipe is tapered in as well to mate with the OEM reonator outlet). So I guess that's what I get for being a tight wad!

So I guess it goes back and I decide if I want to purchase the OEM intermediate pipe.

Will removing the resonator make a difference in the idle sound?

Any suggestions on using this pipe or should I just suck it up and send it back?
Old 09-10-2015, 11:15 PM
wait. what?

Received 271 Likes on 217 Posts

if you just put the Magnaflow on, keep in mind that it will get a little louder over the course of a few weeks. the muffler packing has to 'break in' before it reaches its full volume.
Old 09-11-2015, 03:20 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Default More exhaust noise.

Originally Posted by DavidKR
if you just put the Magnaflow on, keep in mind that it will get a little louder over the course of a few weeks. the muffler packing has to 'break in' before it reaches its full volume.
I second this, I have the Banks Monster exhaust on my '10 5.4L it's definitely louder today than it was 4-5 years ago when I put it on.
Old 09-13-2015, 10:25 PM

Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

Yes the resonator delete will up the sound.
Old 09-14-2015, 12:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rsscoggins
I wanted more exhaust noise from my 2014 5.0 but didn't want the dreaded drone I went with an 18" stainless Magna-flow muffler and was/am a little disappointed with the sound at idle. It has decent sound in the cabin when you get on it. The exhaust shop said they could remove the resonator but also said the muffler will get louder as it "wears" in. I didn't want them to hack up or weld anything in place of the resonator - that way I could go back with the stock resonator if I needed to. Being a cheap ***, I found a resonator delete pipe from a 2010 F150 on Rock Auto for $30 shipped as opposed to $130 for the OEM. Yeah it isn't stainless but I figure it would let me try it out. It came today and darn it the outlet end that mates to the muffler pipe is tapered in rather than flared out like the OEM resonator outlet. (The OEM muffler inlet pipe is tapered in as well to mate with the OEM reonator outlet). So I guess that's what I get for being a tight wad! So I guess it goes back and I decide if I want to purchase the OEM intermediate pipe. Will removing the resonator make a difference in the idle sound? Any suggestions on using this pipe or should I just suck it up and send it back?
you could do a highflier catylic converter. Companies like flow master and magma flow make them and it will get you better gas mileage as well as louder

Quick Reply: More exhaust noise.