Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud growling/grinding in front end on start up

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Angry Loud growling/grinding in front end on start up

I have a 2011 F150 Screw Lariat EB. The past 2 months, I have started to notice a very loud growling/grinding noise that comes from the drivers side front-end right behind the radiator. It's not the fans or the secondary brake cylinder but something else. It only happens when you first start up and lasts about 5 seconds, then stops, the starts again for 5 seconds then stops. Sometimes it happens 3 times but only happens when you first start up. It has gotten progressively worse now and I am starting to smell plastic burning but I can't tell what this is. Has anybody run across this? If there is another topic on this issue elsewhere I apologize for starting this one.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:49 PM

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by weiser
I have a 2011 F150 Screw Lariat EB. The past 2 months, I have started to notice a very loud growling/grinding noise that comes from the drivers side front-end right behind the radiator. It's not the fans or the secondary brake cylinder but something else. It only happens when you first start up and lasts about 5 seconds, then stops, the starts again for 5 seconds then stops. Sometimes it happens 3 times but only happens when you first start up. It has gotten progressively worse now and I am starting to smell plastic burning but I can't tell what this is. Has anybody run across this? If there is another topic on this issue elsewhere I apologize for starting this one.

can you get a video for sound?
Old 05-14-2013, 04:43 PM

Figured out the issue. It's my slave brake cylinder.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:17 AM

I started noticing this in the past few days too. I was suspecting it might have something to do with the brake cylinder as the sound was coming from that area. The truck has only 23k on it. What did they do at the dealership? Was it a full replace?
Old 12-19-2013, 10:57 AM
Ford Customer Service

Received 805 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by ndfd203
I started noticing this in the past few days too. I was suspecting it might have something to do with the brake cylinder as the sound was coming from that area. The truck has only 23k on it...
Sounds like it might be time to make an appointment at the dealership, ndfd203. Once you get a diagnosis, let me know if you need any help from my neck of the woods and I'll do what I can to assist.

Crystal

Quick Reply: Loud growling/grinding in front end on start up