Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Line-Xing the whole truck

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 03:04 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Line-Xing the whole truck

So I've been scouring the internet for weeks looking forinformation on people that have line-Xed their whole truck. I've read justabout everything I think. Maybe the most amusing was a couple of guys in a Toyotaforum that said they were going to line-x their new(ish) Tundra’s. Theirthreads grew to hundreds of people wanting to know when, why, and more thananything, to post lots and lots of pictures. It was hilarious to watch, it waslike a fever spreading.

One thing I was surprised by is how many people werediscouraging them to do it before they went through and did it. It's for thatsame reason that I wanted to get some feedback from my F-150 peeps.

I recently bought a new 2014 F-150, 302A package, Screw,4x4. Here is the catch though, it was a hail damaged truck out of NE, I guessthere are hundreds available. Before buying the truck, I called around to someauto body places and I was getting quotes from $12 to 14K to get it to likenew. For those prices and at this time of year, I could get a new one withoutmessing around with the repair. From the start of me considering buying a haildamaged truck, I always had it in the back of my mine to Line-X the wholetruck. I called around to see what the body shops would charge me to just getit to smoothed, sanded, and primed condition and ended up getting thedealership I'd be buying it from to do it for $5K. There also happens to be aLine-X branch half a mile down the road that’s sprayed several full trucks(checkout their picture gallery, Line-X of Blair,NE). The Line-X shop quoted thedealership $3K to do a full truck spray which includes removing the bed anddoing the back of the cab and front of the bed. That price also included thenew Line-X premium spray that has UV protection and is substantially harderthan any of its other applications.

So I ended up pulling the trigger on my new truck. I endedup getting it for $23,000 (MSRP of $47K and includes the full factory warrantywith a clean title) with the body damage. After the dealer repairs the damage,sands, and primes it, they’ll have the Line-X shop down the road spray theentire truck, bumper to bumper. So for $31,000 I’ll have a brand new F-150decked out covered in triple black Line-X. What do you think of that?

Please feel free to offer comments, praise, criticisms, youexperience with Line-X, or just thoughts in general. Regardless of whatcomments come out of this, I’m thrilled to have the truck done like this, Icouldn’t have done it with a new flawless truck, only because it was a hail damagedone. I’m glad it worked out with a new 4x4 crew cab rather than a used truckwith 50K miles on it. I plan on having the truck until the wheels fall off.Thoughts???

Last edited by jcsnoball; 01-27-2015 at 03:10 PM. Reason: words pressed together when pasted
Old 01-27-2015, 03:11 PM
International man of Myst

Received 166 Likes on 103 Posts

If I was looking for a truck right now, I would do that in a heartbeat. I tried to get someone in my office to do the same.
The following users liked this post:
jcsnoball (01-27-2015)
Old 01-27-2015, 03:14 PM

I'm not sure why some of the words are running together on this. Weird. Sorry about that.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:14 PM

Received 98 Likes on 76 Posts

Subd, I'd like to see pics of that.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:19 PM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

nothing wrong with that. going 4wheeling and hunting it's scratch resistant. buddy of mine did his and its cool

don't get butt hurt, but yes its a TOY

Line-Xing the whole truck-2qzgdzi.jpg
Old 01-27-2015, 03:20 PM

This one isn't mine, mine won't be done until the end of Feb or early March as it has some repairs that need made, but this will give you an idea.
Attached Thumbnails Line-Xing the whole truck-lx-side-f150.jpg   Line-Xing the whole truck-lx-rear-f150.jpg   Line-Xing the whole truck-lx-front-f150.jpg  
GotHonks? (04-17-2015)
Old 01-27-2015, 03:20 PM

Received 204 Likes on 154 Posts

There's pics online of trucks covered in line-x and other bed coatings. I think it looks horrible but that's just my opinion. It will be textured and dull. It may be good protection if you plan on putting it through hell. I just learned not to hit stuff and my paint seems fine.

I think it looks good as long as it shines and it hasn't faded yet. Seems the Texas sun can kill just about anything though. I'm sure several other states have the same experience.

Last edited by OilFieldCash; 01-27-2015 at 03:23 PM.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:24 PM

Received 98 Likes on 76 Posts

hmmm, not sure how I feel about this.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:27 PM

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

My neighbor has a hunting truck that is covered in Line-X and it looks pretty cool. That said, it's an old Dodge. I think a new F-150 wouldn't look very good in Line-X.

The price you're paying seems steep to me. If you're at $31k for a damaged one after you get it all repaired and in the condition you want, that's a little high. People all over the forum recently bought XLT 4x4's for around $32k-33k. Mine with the off road package, chrome package, and 302A was $34k. $31k for a beat up truck that is paint prepped and covered in line-x doesn't seem worth it to me.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:28 PM

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

For the record, I think Line-X covered trucks photograph fairly well, but look pretty crappy in person, up close.
Ricktwuhk (01-27-2015)

Quick Reply: Line-Xing the whole truck