Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Limited Slip or Not!?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 09:11 AM

Received 643 Likes on 299 Posts

Default Limited Slip or Not!?

First let me say that I am a F150 virgin. My new Platinum EB is on the train heading here...that is the good news.

Bad news is that, after checking the Window Sticker online, I discovered that the dealer ordered the open rear end, not the LS I had specified. I talked to the dealer right away and they said they would fix it and even give me the LS at their cost if necessary. Good news!?

My questions are these:

1. Am I being too **** about insisting on LS in the first place...we live in Arizona but drive in some snow in the winter....no off road nor heavy towing usage planned.
2. What will/should the dealer be able to do to rectify the problem. As an old Vette owner, it should be a 3rd member changeout...right!? Is that what I should expect them to offer to do....or is it more complex than that on the F150!?

They are going to get back to me today on how to fix their mistake....should I hold their feet to the fire to get the LS...and how should I ensure that the result is "right".

Thanks, love the forum...
Old 03-28-2011, 09:22 AM
Mark

Received 2,416 Likes on 2,117 Posts

No...your not being ****. You do want what you ordered and you do want a limited slip.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:50 AM

Thanks....after doing some more research, it looks as if it is more than just changing the 3rd member, as it may mean a whole new rear end assembly...seeing that the bolt patterns for open and LS are different....
If the LS is only "needed" for towing or heavy winters...especially with traction control on the vehicle, perhaps LS is not as necessary as it would be without TC....any thoughts!?
Old 03-28-2011, 10:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an 08 f150 and had an 05 f150, both with LS rears. I had an 01 f150 without a LS rear, I will never own another truck without a LS rear. Much better traction with the LS. I am from northeast PA, the last few years the winters have been harsh. IMO, the extra $ for the LS is well worth it.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:01 AM
First Tiger of G.R.O.S.S.

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

LS is also good for rain and sand and any other low-traction situation.

I would stick with your plan of getting the LS, especially since the dealer is going to do it at their cost if need be.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:18 AM

Thanks for the support and info....the dealer has been great in every way, I must say, and they assured me they would make it right....I just didn't want to be unreasonable, if the LS was not that big a deal with TC. I will find out today, hopefully, how they propose to change it over to LS once the train pulls in later this week....we just cannot wait...smile. My first newer F150 and ordered it mostly maxed out...even my wife is jazzed. She had a 2007 SRX Cadillac but they downsized the SRX last year and, to our minds, screwed it up....so back to a honking big F150...smile. Getting a few things slapped on first thing

1. Set of new 2011 Ultra Platinum America wheels http://ultrawheel.com/wheel_detail.cfm?brand=2&id=556
2.TRex Billet Grille(s) http://www.uniqueautodepot.com/FORD-...9_platinum.htm (which will also protect the intercooler)
3. Paint-matching Leer 700 tonneau with remote lock feature

Tried to gleen all the best tips (for us) from the forum before ordering and hopefully thought of everything....smile....

Thanks folks
Old 03-28-2011, 10:20 AM

Received 366 Likes on 284 Posts

You want LS for sure, makem change it out or order you a new truck, you wont regret it. open diffs suck. You may not think you need one one right now, but later on when you figure out you do it will be too late. Just be a little extra patient, it will pay off. I know its hard to wait longer when your truck is so close but trust me, it will be worth the extra wait for the long run! I was too impatient to order a truck and just bought one off the lot that was close to what I wanted, and granted its pretty damn close and about the only options I dont have are the tailgate step and powerfold mirrors, (that I know of) but after climbing up in the box a few times I wish I wouldve waited 2 months and ordered one with it! Probably will be looking for a junkyard specimen to swap out to the step, powerfold mirrors arent that big of deal to me, but had I ordered it I wouldve got them.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:44 AM

For sure I will stick to my LS guns on this one....will be interesting how they propose to fix it, but I don't see that as my problem as I had built the vehicle online, printed it out (clearly showing LS) and they dropped the ball when they entered the order into the system. On the site, when you specify EB, it changes the rear end to a different default and I guess they just selected the wrong option from there. Oh well.

Also interesting, we first put in the order with the "Black" interior (Ingot Silver exterior) and then noticed online that black is really dark brown.....my honey said "no way" so they changed the order 2-3 days in and it took the change in their system. However, when I look at the window sticker, for interior it does not show ANY color, just "Leather Captains Chair" with no color. Their invoice they received still shows the code for black (9B not 9S for Steel) so will see when it gets in what it really is.....like a box of chocolates.... They also said if it is the Brown/Black they will put a decent set of black leather seats into it if necessary....ironically that is what we really wanted from the start but not an option on the Platinum. I know a lot of you love the dark brown but I will not repeat what my little girl said they look like....grin. Stay tuned....ha ha'
Old 03-28-2011, 11:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a 2003 Chevy Avalanche without a LS rear. It was horriable. When i went shopping for an F 150 i wouldn't even look at a truck without the LS option.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:27 AM
Politically incorrect

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Glad you are sticking with your original plan--I wouldn't be without one again. I got a deal on a Dakota years back but it didn't have posi-traction. I had the dealer put in an LS 3rd member (bolt pattern identical) in order to pull my boat out at the dirt ramp. Truck would just slip/spin one wheel otherwise.

Quick Reply: Limited Slip or Not!?