Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leveling kits + wheel size/tires suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 02:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leveling kits + wheel size/tires suggestions?

I just picked up my first F150 3 days ago. It's a 2010 XLT SCrew 4x4.
Wondering if any of you guys have any suggestions on leveling kits, front lift + back lift height?
Tire sizes? Wheel sizes, offset, back space etc.

I live in Las Vegas, NV. I often go out to the desert. I will not do intense offroadin or wheeling but just enough lift to do the tasks.
(I trade in my lifted 07 Jeep Wrangler JK for this truck)

Any suggestion will be great, Thanks.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:48 AM

Location: After 20 + years in the foothills of the Sierras; I am now [back] in the south-end of Sunny SoCal!
Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by jalecom
I just picked up my first F150 3 days ago. It's a 2010 XLT SCrew 4x4.
Wondering if any of you guys have any suggestions on leveling kits, front lift + back lift height?
Tire sizes? Wheel sizes, offset, back space etc.

I live in Las Vegas, NV. I often go out to the desert. I will not do intense offroadin or wheeling but just enough lift to do the tasks.
(I trade in my lifted 07 Jeep Wrangler JK for this truck)

Any suggestion will be great, Thanks.

Many here, including myself, have gone with the 2" leveling kit, which will bring the front end up level with the rear; e.g., on my truck it now measures 39.5" front and rear on level concrete to the lower lip of the fender.

Some go with true lift kits, but then you start affecting the suspension/steering geometry and maybe ride and handling.

The 2" leveling kit will allow a tire sufficient for moderate off-road use in the mountains or desert, but still maintain good highway performance.

In brief, things to consider with tire selection are potential rubbing against body or frame components and also loss of power depending on the rear end gearing. In that regard, it comes down to 'balance' between how you use the truck the majority of the time and the overall 'look' you wish to achieve based on personal taste.

I am struggling with this now, in trying to select the proper tire (size and tread) for my XLT with 18" factory wheels.

I have been reading all I can here and in a couple of other forums, to educate myself before I spend $1100 to 1500 for a new set of tires.

The stock tires are 32" tall and many go to a 33" tire and some here with a 34"; moreover my research indicates you can fit even a 35" tire, if you have the 2" lift kit installed, as long as you do not go too wide (the first number in the tire size) on the stock wheels.

The only problem I have found is that in wheel size 18", we are limited in choices, vs. the 16" or 17" wheel sizes, where there are multiple choices.

I am now looking at Toyo, Nitto, and Goodyear, as the most logical options for my use. I only wish the GY DuraTrac came in a 34/35" size, as it is a great balance between the AT and the MT tread, and with a really strong sidewall. I wrote to GY last week and they responded that they have no plans to offer the larger size in the 18" version at this time.

I, like you, like to get out in the desert (SoCal) and also have close access to the mountains, but primarily use my truck for daily use on normal highway 75 to 80% of the time; therefore, I have to think about performance on wet/snowy highways and also rear end gearing performance when towing a boat.

If you use the search feature of this forum, you can come up with a lot of good info from others herein.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-25-2009, 12:48 AM

Thanks for the reply, it is well said, and helps a lot.
Looks like right now, I am heading towards a 2.5" front lift and a 1" rear block. The company that makes them claims a total lift of 2.5" front and back. (I like this idea)
But would a 2.5" front lift need modification or affect the front wheel drive axle/drivetrain?
And I'm going with 17" wheels. Tire size yet to be determined how the lift would come out.
Thanks.
Old 10-24-2009, 04:25 PM

Default Well here some pics.

I finally went with just a 2" front leveling kit. 17" ProComp 7049 Matte Black on 305/65/R17 tires.
They are suppose to be 33" tires but they are more like the stock diameter.
Oh well, the whole thing is to have a more aggressive look without killing the mileage.

Old 10-24-2009, 05:00 PM

Received 256 Likes on 146 Posts

That looks sharp. Nice wheel choice. I'm not sure if you had the 275/65R18's to begin with, but if so, they have a diameter of 32.07", and your new tires have a diameter of 32.61" - so they are pretty close to stock. Which is good IMO.

Edit: I think those are actually 7089's if anyone's looking for them.

Last edited by statikuz; 10-24-2009 at 05:03 PM.
Old 10-24-2009, 06:45 PM

Sorry about that. Your right statikuz, they are 7089's.
Old 11-01-2009, 12:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what leveling kit did you buy? Im guessing its either the autospring kit or the hell bent one. I have the same truck as you and I want to do this to mine. My shop suggested the leveling kit from Readylift. Has anyone heard about this brand at all?

Thanks
Old 11-01-2009, 12:37 PM

Received 256 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by jawx
what leveling kit did you buy? Im guessing its either the autospring kit or the hell bent one. I have the same truck as you and I want to do this to mine. My shop suggested the leveling kit from Readylift. Has anyone heard about this brand at all?

Thanks
https://www.f150forum.com/showthread...ight=readylift
Old 01-28-2010, 11:35 AM

jalecom - I love the look of that truck. I have the same truck. I am looking to put bigger tires on my truck, haven't decided between 305 or 295, but one of those two probably. You said you put on a 2" front leveling kit. What kind did you use? Is that all the lifting you had to do? Anything in the back? Or is the front leveling kit all I need to make this happen?

Also, you wheels, 17", but what is the width of them, 17x9or10? What is the offset on those wheels?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by 2009F150FX4; 01-28-2010 at 12:41 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:47 AM

As described above:

I finally went with just a 2" front leveling kit. 17" ProComp 7049 Matte Black on 305/65/R17 tires.
They are suppose to be 33" tires but they are more like the stock diameter.
Oh well, the whole thing is to have a more aggressive look without killing the mileage.

Wheel width is 17x9. Offset I think is -5.5 but not sure. ProComp only makes this for the F150 on this offset only. Check with 4WheelParts.com

Quick Reply: Leveling kits + wheel size/tires suggestions?