Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leveling kit install opinions needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 11:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Leveling kit install opinions needed

I want a leveling kit installed on my truck. Only delima that I have is, I can by a kit for Approx. $100 and install myself or pay 400 to have it done. One problem, the only thing I know about working on trucks is how to put gas in it and drive it. I can usually figure things out, and have a lot of tools, mostly for wood working though. I do have normal wrnches and things. To make a long story short...... Should I even attempt this myself over the weekend, or will I find myself unable to complete it and not be able to drive it to the shop to have it put back together?

I know suggestions are only opinions and none of you know me personally, but with the info I gave what are your thoughts?
Old 06-24-2009, 12:25 AM

Location: After 20 + years in the foothills of the Sierras; I am now [back] in the south-end of Sunny SoCal!
Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

I am pretty handy with a wrench myself, however, I do not want to do this job, with the tools I have at hand. Moreover, you have to have the vehicle re-aligned after the install.

I am not sure about that "$400" labor cost !!??

I am having the job done on this Thursday, by a chain tire store in my state and other nearby states, (Les Schwab) and have a written quote of $265, for the parts, labor and new alignment. They said it would take about 2.5 hours complete.

I would shop around some more. Again, many outlets that do tires, brakes, shocks, etc, are set up for this type job.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by tcarro2001
I want a leveling kit installed on my truck. Only delima that I have is, I can by a kit for Approx. $100 and install myself or pay 400 to have it done. One problem, the only thing I know about working on trucks is how to put gas in it and drive it. I can usually figure things out, and have a lot of tools, mostly for wood working though. I do have normal wrnches and things. To make a long story short...... Should I even attempt this myself over the weekend, or will I find myself unable to complete it and not be able to drive it to the shop to have it put back together?

I know suggestions are only opinions and none of you know me personally, but with the info I gave what are your thoughts?
Do yourself a favor and find a reputable mechanic to do it right. You have too much invested in your truck to attempt this with no tools or experience. Nothing against you intended.....just a little friendly advice from an old guy.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:59 AM

Thanks guys. That's all I needed to hear. I just didn't want to pay the money the hear that it is soo easy to do, and I wasted my money.

Thanks again.
Old 06-25-2009, 03:20 PM

http://www.readylift.com/p-114-ready...o-66-2050.aspx

This is how easy to do it yourself, a jackstand, jack, wrenches, and electric or air compressed socket wrench, and a crowbar will do the job.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:06 PM

Location: After 20 + years in the foothills of the Sierras; I am now [back] in the south-end of Sunny SoCal!
Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Well, I had my 2" leveling kit installed today and it looks great.

It took them only two hours to install the spacers and reset the front end alignment.

Again, I paid $268 out the door, leveling kit, labor, and re-alignment.

I had it done at my local Les Schwab Tire Center. They used a kit for the '09 F150 mfg, by Tuff Country.

There was no cutting of bolts or any other modifications to the vehicle.

Before install, the front end was at 37.5 " and after it measured at exactly 39.5" in height.

Now all I need is my 33" tires and I will be all set.

Quick Reply: Leveling kit install opinions needed