Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leather seats

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 08:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leather seats

I just bought a 09 lariat. Just wondering what is the best conditioner to use on the leather seats?
Old 08-02-2009, 08:59 AM

I have been using Meguires products and have been happy.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:53 AM

Check out this discussion.

https://www.f150forum.com/showthread...plastic+coated

Unless its a King Ranch, your leather seats are, in fact, plastic-coated. That being the case, I use 303 Aerospace protecant.
Old 08-02-2009, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by rado888
Check out this discussion.

https://www.f150forum.com/showthread...plastic+coated

Unless its a King Ranch, your leather seats are, in fact, plastic-coated. That being the case, I use 303 Aerospace protecant.
Does that include Platinum?
Old 08-02-2009, 02:56 PM

Location: After 20 + years in the foothills of the Sierras; I am now [back] in the south-end of Sunny SoCal!
Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by dontrowell
Does that include Platinum?
No.

The KR leather seats are a different type from all the other models with the leather interior.

The KR has a thicker/heavier grade of leather, such as used in saddles, or leather bags, some leather furniture etc. The color is dyed into the leather and for these seats, you can genuinely can use high quality leather conditioners which contain natual oils to keep the material flexible.

The more typical leather seating surfaces found on today's cars/trucks has the color sprayed onto the surface during the manufacturing process, much like a paint with a clear coat on top. On these surfaces, the trick is to just keep them clean with mild soaps, or specialized cleaners which will not erode the colored suface of the thinner leather material. I use a micro towel with the cleaning product to work on specific stained areas of the seat.

I have had even the bluing in blue jeans transfer and stain a seat on my last truck. Difficult to remove, without damaging the coated surface.

Just try and stay away from an Armorall 'type' product, which is mostly silicone based, and will just make the seats shiny and slippery, but does little to enhance their longevity.

There are a lot of products out there, and a lot of claims as to performance, be it interior or exterior care products. I think the manufacturer's recommendations on care of the seating material are very accurate. I will leave it at that.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by NorCal-09
No.

The KR leather seats are a different type from all the other models with the leather interior.

The KR has a thicker/heavier grade of leather, such as used in saddles, or leather bags, some leather furniture etc. The color is dyed into the leather and for these seats, you can genuinely can use high quality leather conditioners which contain natual oils to keep the material flexible.

The more typical leather seating surfaces found on today's cars/trucks has the color sprayed onto the surface during the manufacturing process, much like a paint with a clear coat on top. On these surfaces, the trick is to just keep them clean with mild soaps, or specialized cleaners which will not erode the colored suface of the thinner leather material. I use a micro towel with the cleaning product to work on specific stained areas of the seat.

I have had even the bluing in blue jeans transfer and stain a seat on my last truck. Difficult to remove, without damaging the coated surface.

Just try and stay away from an Armorall 'type' product, which is mostly silicone based, and will just make the seats shiny and slippery, but does little to enhance their longevity.

There are a lot of products out there, and a lot of claims as to performance, be it interior or exterior care products. I think the manufacturer's recommendations on care of the seating material are very accurate. I will leave it at that.
Just so I'm clear, the King & Platinum have the KR that you spoke of?
Old 08-03-2009, 09:27 AM

I believe the KR refers to King Ranch.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:34 AM

Location: After 20 + years in the foothills of the Sierras; I am now [back] in the south-end of Sunny SoCal!
Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by pass-thru
I believe the KR refers to King Ranch.
Yes. KR is short for King Ranch.

And again no, the Platinum, does not have the same material seats as the KR model.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by NorCal-09
Yes. KR is short for King Ranch.

And again no, the Platinum, does not have the same material seats as the KR model.
As

Thats so strange, one would think that my soon to be Platinum would have the top end leather, seein it's the top end vehicle in the F150 line, so given that it's supposed to be coated in a plastic protectant, leather conditioner will not do anything!!
Old 08-04-2009, 09:19 AM

The Platinum does have premium leather, just not the same type as the KR.

Quick Reply: Leather seats