Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leak in the rear differential

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 09:08 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Leak in the rear differential

Hi all,

I noticed several oil dots on my driveway from the rear differential. I'm having the truck brought to the dealer to check for leaks and to just change the fluid. After having your differential fluid changed, does the dealer have to perform a flash on the transmission?? I wasn't aware of this but they said they need around an hour for the flash after the change.

They quoted me $245 CDN for each differential fluid change.

Thanks!
Old 10-09-2015, 09:14 AM
Is it Friday Yet?

Received 580 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by 98_XC
Hi all,

I noticed several oil dots on my driveway from the rear differential. I'm having the truck brought to the dealer to check for leaks and to just change the fluid. After having your differential fluid changed, does the dealer have to perform a flash on the transmission?? I wasn't aware of this but they said they need around an hour for the flash after the change.

They quoted me $245 CDN for each differential fluid change.

Thanks!
Never heard of that before. My 2013 is in for replacing the pinion seal right now, no mention of a transmission flash!

I know that there is a TSB for rough shifting that requires a TCM flash, maybe they are throwing that in if you complained of a clunk at any times in the past?

CND $245 for replacing the seals on both diffs and fluid change is one hell of a deal!!
Old 10-09-2015, 09:49 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for your reply.

No, that's $245 for a fluid change on each differential. I don't even think that includes the seal, i.e. that might be an extra add-on if they find a problem/leak.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:55 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

That is Highway robbery for a rear diff fluid change... I did my rear diff with Mobil 1 full synthetic and friction modifier for the limited slip for under $100
Old 10-09-2015, 10:20 AM

Received 334 Likes on 227 Posts

I also had my 2013 FX4 in for a pinion seal leak. It had 10K miles on it with very little towing. Like you, I begin to see dots in the driveway and when I looked under the back of the truck there was gear oil slung all underneath the truck.

It was repaired under warranty and they didn't do anything with the PCM or flashing of the tranny.
The tech acted like it was very common.
Just make sure when you get it back you swing by the spray car wash and give it a good douching under the back side of the truck to clean up any gear oil they didn't.
This way you can watch it and confirm its not leaking any longer.
Mine has been fine every since.
Danny

Quick Reply: Leak in the rear differential