Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

King / Fox coilovers vs lift

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default King / Fox coilovers vs lift

Please forgive me if this has been asked. I did search and came up empty-handed.
I have a 2011 4x4 Screw with EB and 3.55 gears.
I'm debating lifting vs levelling, but if I went the levelling route, do I understand correctly that both the Fox and King coilovers achieve the 2.5" level on the front end? If so, can you share your opinion or experience with one vs the other? I THINK I'll be happy with 2.5" and taller tires, but I'm still undecided (lift vs level). I am aware of the other forms of levelling, but I'm willing to spend the extra money for coilovers.
In either case, I'm also wondering what benefits using Camburg UCA's will afford me. From what I can gather, it seems like the Camburg's allow for different backspacing options with wheels, but since I haven't bought any yet (which I will when I decide on the suspension) I don't know if this is really a benefit. What other benefits should I expect to realize?
I don't really go off-roading per se, except during hunting season and those trails are usually pretty docile. I really like the look of a 12th gen on a 6" lift, but am also a little wary on the impact to drivability and re-sale.
Thanks in advance!
Old 12-28-2011, 01:43 PM
F150 Forum

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Here is an 04 I built using Fox Coilovers and Camburg Arms.

Old 12-28-2011, 01:45 PM

Received 117 Likes on 83 Posts

For most people a 2.5"-4" lift of well-built quality is more than sufficient. I am not a big fan of spacers or blocks to attain lift. New Springs (coils or leaf) that are properly spec'd with proper dampning (shocks/struts inserts) will deliver better ride and performance almost EVERYTIME Then add your tires (consider how much they will also lift your vehicle) and enjoy.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:18 PM

My opinion... do you offroad? Do you need much extra clearance? Nothing against lifts, I have been torn between level and 4" lift myself as well. I went with a level because I don't offroad, and don't need a ton of clearance. A level will basically allow you to fit the same size tires as a 4" lift anyways. I agree that a lift probably looks better, but I don't think I would fit in my garage, or certain auto car washes I go to. And the few times I go to sporting events and park in a parking garage, I would most likely not fit, and have to drive around looking for another spot.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:22 PM

Also, fox and king coil overs are pretty expensive. I considered them as well, but went with bilstien for the price, and they're still more of a performance shock than stock. I also don't offroad so I wouldn't need something serious like the fox or kings.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default fox/kings

check my thread:

https://www.f150forum.com/f38/2011-e...e-lift-104732/

ive have 3 trucks and chase for offroad trucks several times and my choice is coilovers and a-arms rather a 6 4 inch or 6 inch lift.

pros:
u will never have to by front shocks again. thyre rebuidable.
a-arms allow full suspension droop and aligns your front suspension + unibals.
handling is awesome.

cons:
4 to 6 inch lift is a drop down bracket which copies your old suspension and makes it 4/6 inch longer no benefit to ride and uses your stock shocks.
if you want to make the ride better you need to buy fox/ king for another 1k.
uses stock a-arms which the unibals will wear out in no time.
ride sucks.

3.55 gears if you go any bigger than 285/70/17 its going to be sluggish. you probably will have to regear and thats 500 for each diff.
I have 3.73 eco with 285/70/17 and i notice some loss of power.
going with a 4 inch kit or 6 inch kit tires you probably are going with 35 inch tires since 33 will look to small.

hope this helps
good luck!

Last edited by bigbyrd73; 12-29-2011 at 11:51 AM.

Quick Reply: King / Fox coilovers vs lift