Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kicker Substage (soundgate) on its way

Old 02-28-2014, 08:28 AM

Received 570 Likes on 473 Posts

Default Kicker Substage (soundgate) on its way

Ever since I picked up the 2013 Plat the first week of the new year I've been missing something...the low end in the sound system.
I made the mistake of not removing my setup from the 2006 that I traded in. That setup was:
Pioneer headunit (wouldn't transfer anyway)
Alpine SPS in the doors
JL JX250/1 monoblock amp
JL CP108LG-W3v3 8" ported enclosure

For a little 8" that thing pounded. I loved the sound as it was just enough to reinforce the low end without announcing to the outside world that I had aftermarket equipment in the truck.
I stopped by my local installer last week and began the inquiry about what we should replace the poorly sounding Sony 8" with. We priced out JL's XD300/1 with their 10" shallow loaded enclosure, a clean sweap and all the applicable wiring and install. Needless to say I was within 5% of a grand out the door. Yep...a bit of sticker shock.

I'd been reading about the Kicker Substage for a while. After researching it deeper I determined that it was exactly what I needed/wanted. This should provide just enough thump to fill in the void that the Sony system cannot provide. I'm pleased, for now, with the mids and highs of the Sony system and I'm not trying to win any competitions with this setup...I just miss some of that additional seat and mirror rattle of my JL 8".

Thanks to Benny [MENTION=25790]Levi[/MENTION]ttownFordSuperCenter for working with me the day before his vacation started to get my order in and hook me up with a pretty good deal on shipping. Hopefully it'll ship early next week and I can get this installed before next weekend if I'm lucky. Really looking forward to a factory looking addition to the Plat and I'll be sure to document this process for any others that are curious.

Let the wait begin...
Old 02-28-2014, 08:41 AM
noob :)

Received 103 Likes on 84 Posts

looking forward to seeing more about this...
Old 03-01-2014, 05:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just tried installing this on my 2014 Raptor SCREW yesterday. The Kicker install directions SUCK. I have everything wired but the stupid while connector that they say is supposed to hook into the factory wiring for the sub woofer.

I can not find what the hell they are referencing when they say it connects to a factory sub connection as the wire is on the opposite side of the harness and is not even close to the same connection as what went to the factory sub. The amp under the center console does not have any connections like the kicker one and kicker did not provide any detail or pictures so looks like I will need to find the subwoofer wire colors and use the taps that are for trucks without the factory sub.

I have a feeling that the new factory sub that is powered by the amp up front is different then the ones in the 09's with the amp on the sub and kicker never updated the wiring or instructions. So much for a plug and play factory replacement
Old 03-01-2014, 05:12 PM
One Clean Machine

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,350 Posts

Originally Posted by SilentShooter
I just tried installing this on my 2014 Raptor SCREW yesterday. The Kicker install directions SUCK. I have everything wired but the stupid while connector that they say is supposed to hook into the factory wiring for the sub woofer.

I can not find what the hell they are referencing when they say it connects to a factory sub connection as the wire is on the opposite side of the harness and is not even close to the same connection as what went to the factory sub. The amp under the center console does not have any connections like the kicker one and kicker did not provide any detail or pictures so looks like I will need to find the subwoofer wire colors and use the taps that are for trucks without the factory sub.

I have a feeling that the new factory sub that is powered by the amp up front is different then the ones in the 09's with the amp on the sub and kicker never updated the wiring or instructions. So much for a plug and play factory replacement
Get on Crutchfield.com. they have Downloadable PDF instructions for install of the Kicker SoundStage...
Old 03-01-2014, 05:13 PM
One Clean Machine

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,350 Posts

CleanMaxxBrian put this in his 13 Platinum with No Issues...
Old 03-01-2014, 05:31 PM

Already tried Crutchfield, They give you the same install directions as kicker does, and it does not detail anything on where the white connector plugs into. No pictures or any detail. I purchased this mostly because I did not want to splice into any wires as they said it was plug and play replacing the factory sub.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:45 PM
Zax
♫♪ I Hold On ♫♪

Received 77 Likes on 72 Posts

Excited for ya man! I'm planning on adding this to my STX. Take a lot of pics! Also any chance you could do a before and after audio/video clips? I have yet to hear ANY kicker stuff. I had infinity/ jl in my 08.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:38 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Yup, I have this system and LOVE it! I have just the sub and not the system that includes the rest of the speakers. Install was pretty easy for me using the directions from Kicker. When done, set your bass to -2 or -3 and the mids to +2 and treble to +3.

I wish I took pics and I am not pulling it apart in this cold...so I am now trying to remember this white plug you speak of... I think it is for signal and you DO need to tap into 2 wires on the passenger front side. And yes I had the factory sub. The 2 wires you are tapping into is for the front door woofer. You can NOT use the sub out wires for the factory sub.

Last edited by Cleanmaxx Brian; 03-01-2014 at 10:44 PM.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:43 PM
noob :)

Received 103 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by SilentShooter

There are lots of models listed on this page... sure you got the right part number?

http://www.kicker.com/content/SoundGate_Ford
Old 03-01-2014, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by byte
There are lots of models listed on this page... sure you got the right part number?

http://www.kicker.com/content/SoundGate_Ford
Yes I have the correct model, and yes it will be getting returned now. I will not be tapping into any wires, I purchased this after reading the install manual where it stated it simply plugs into the factory output when you have the factory sub. Stupid me for not looking and verifying as it looks like no connection exists.

If I am going to deal with tapping into things, then I will just get a proper adapter kits with a DSP and a 5 channel amp. This way I can replace the door speakers with some decent JL's and put a better sub under the seat then. Which was my plan at first but saw this and figured it could hold me over for a while so I can spend the money on the Whipple and suspension mods.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Kicker Substage (soundgate) on its way