Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kicker “Substage” & “Powerstage” for Sony equipped 2009-2014 F150’s

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 04:48 PM
2nd Amendment Supporter!

Received 407 Likes on 304 Posts

Default Kicker “Substage” & “Powerstage” for Sony equipped 2009-2014 F150’s

Trying to give as much info (and install pics to follow), so please forgive the long winded intro & will try to make this easy to the eyes to not only read, but also understand.

This thread is to help clear up some questions concerning the Kicker Subwoofer upgrade for Sony & MFT equipped F150’s. On Kicker’s website & even Ford’s website (among other distributors as well) have noted that these subwoofer replacements will NOT work on Sony system equipped F150’s…..They are wrong. IT WILL WORK!
My truck is a 2013 Lariat, SuperCrew, 402A package, Sony system and the MFT radio/Nav screen, and these ARE my exact pics of my install ….

We ALL know that the Sony “advertised” 700 watts falls extremely short of that, though it does sound decent… many of us want more. Fact: the Sony sub is NOT a 700 watt powered sub and the Sony sub will start to distort, clip, etc., when we want a little more volume. These Kicker subwoofer replacements are the perfect replacement, that are not only Ford certified, will NOT void your warranty, but delivers an impressive punch and great sound – and does it being very gentle to our wallets!
Indeed, there are many other upgrades we can do and many other great stereo name brands out there, but you will most like be spending at least 3X as much, where these Kickers compliment our trucks great, but also affordably….and pretty much a simple Plug-n-Play kit!

KICKER SUBWOOFER INFO:

The “Substage”is a 200 watt powered Subwoofer ONLY kit, that will replace the Sony sub. It is slightly larger in size, but it still bolts in the original bolts locations of the Sony sub, for the SuperCrew F150’s.
The wiring will run up the PASS side and will tap into 2 of the rear speaker wires that provide the signal to it. A power cable included will then run through an access area in the firewall on the PASS side to the designated positive battery connection, to power the unit.

The “Powerstage”is the same 200 watt Subwoofer, but will also include 4 replacement Kicker door speakers (to replace the stock/Sony ones), …and also an additional DSP 200 watt amp.
NOTE: This additional DSP amp will NOT work on the MFT radio!
If you want this awesome Kicker sub, (and also wanting to upgrade your door speakers).… This IS the way to go! Just simply not use that front DSP amp, re-sell it on eBay & you can even recoup a little extra $$ back.
(These kits are designed for the NON Sony / MFT equipped F150’s and work great! - I put this full powerstage kit in my son’s truck!).
So if you choose to go with the Powerstage kit, (Recommended), the wiring harness that plugs into the DSP amp, which then connects to the sub wiring harness, … you will not use. You will simply just cut the pigtail off that comes from the sub near the connector, and you will connect those 2 wires to the rear speaker wires, just as shown in the same pics below.

Now, I honestly do not know if there is any Supercab Sony stereo & MFT equipped trucks??... and possibly only offered in the Supercrew cab configuration… So forgive my ignorance, as I am only stating my personal knowledge and hands on experience & install on my SuperCrew truck.

Again, this thread is pertaining to the SONY sub / MFT equipped trucks, but just wanted to put out this info, and any one please chime in and/or correct me if there is even a Sony/MFT radio equipped Supercab??
I will not get into the detail installation on my son's XLT Supercab, but his Kicker Sub is mounted on the DVR side , a longer unit...and is a slightly different install, .…but mainly: It’s unrelated to this thread, since it is NOT a Sony/MFT truck.

I would like to give a huge shout out to Beau (at Rogel Ford) who is also a vendor on here and has an incredible price on these kits to us F150 Forum members on here.
You can reach him at: 601/892-3673 at the Ford dealership, which is located in Crystal Springs, MS., and he ships these kits on a daily basis!!!
He does check in on the forum very often and runs the parts/accessory division of that Ford dealership.
Please contact him for exact part numbers and applications,as some early years may not apply to this… He will verify this for you.
Please know which cab you have: (SuperCrew or SuperCab),….which kit you want: (Substage vs Powerstage), … and he’ll get you set up perfectly for your listening pleasure!

PICS:

Attached Thumbnails -sony-sub.jpg   -dscn4985.jpg   -kicker-sub-pic.jpg   -dscn4986.jpg   -wiring-instructions.jpg  

-posi-tap-pics.jpg  

Last edited by Lethal Weapon; 08-15-2015 at 05:15 PM. Reason: fixed my horrible spelling and grammer! LOL!
The following 6 users liked this post by Lethal Weapon:
bluebullet10 (08-17-2015), flyinpig14 (11-14-2015), Michael Andrew Serna (07-16-2017), MrLunchbox (12-09-2016), Sammy77 (09-28-2015), sparky kilowatt (06-10-2018) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-15-2015, 04:51 PM
2nd Amendment Supporter!

more pics:
Attached Thumbnails -dscn4989.jpg   -dscn4991.jpg   -dscn4996.jpg   -dscn4997.jpg  
The following 4 users liked this post by Lethal Weapon:
flyinpig14 (11-14-2015), hallenfe (08-24-2015), KustomFX (08-16-2015), nibrwr (03-13-2019)
Old 08-15-2015, 05:33 PM
F150 Forum

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Awesome write up! That's for the kind words.

By the way, I am down to 18 substage upgrades. I WILL NOT be able to get anymore. But I do have a few hundred more of the full soundstage kits. Call me to order. 601-892-3673. Thanks!

Last edited by Rogel Ford; 08-16-2015 at 02:59 PM.
Old 08-16-2015, 01:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just installed my Substage this morning and used your pictures here for reference, so thank you! The instructions state to find the wires to tap in a harness attached to a plug behind the kick panel, but they just aren't there. Finding them under the sill plate is the way to go.
The following 2 users liked this post by antighboatye:
Lethal Weapon (08-18-2015), Rogel Ford (08-16-2015)
Old 08-16-2015, 02:41 PM
2nd Amendment Supporter!

Originally Posted by antighboatye
Just installed my Substage this morning and used your pictures here for reference, so thank you! The instructions state to find the wires to tap in a harness attached to a plug behind the kick panel, but they just aren't there. Finding them under the sill plate is the way to go.
You're quite welcome brother!!
Glad I could help!
Awesome kicker subwoofer, ain't it???
The following users liked this post:
Rogel Ford (08-16-2015)
Old 08-17-2015, 10:33 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Lethal, first thing - awesome write up. Very clear and to the point.

I have a few questions about the install and general sound experience. How easy is it to get through the firewall? I've never had a fun time trying to fish wires through those rubber grommets even with a wire pull.

About the sound: I have the Sony Nav system as well and wanted to know how the response was when you tune the bass/treble on the screen and how the sub reacts to it.

Thanks for your help.
Lethal Weapon (08-18-2015)
Old 08-17-2015, 01:34 PM
2nd Amendment Supporter!

Originally Posted by bluebullet10
Lethal, first thing - awesome write up. Very clear and to the point.

I have a few questions about the install and general sound experience. How easy is it to get through the firewall? I've never had a fun time trying to fish wires through those rubber grommets even with a wire pull.

About the sound: I have the Sony Nav system as well and wanted to know how the response was when you tune the bass/treble on the screen and how the sub reacts to it.

Thanks for your help.
Thank you!

Going through the firewall and the "nipple" is quite easy. Just use a wire to fish it thru first to pull the cable thru. It's kinda up high in the inside corner, but still very easy & no issues.
The sound & response is impressive.
You will find that your bass setting will most likely be from -1.... To +1. If you start going above 2, it's almost too much bass.
For the money, this system is one of the best audio upgrades anyone can do.
It IS that good!
Old 08-17-2015, 02:13 PM

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

I installed my Kicker sub from Rogel, it does & will work, not one issue!

I have the Nav & Sony 700W system.
Old 08-17-2015, 02:44 PM

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

Thank you so much for this thread! I'm going to order that sub and get rid of my weak Sony sub.
Old 08-18-2015, 06:15 AM
2nd Amendment Supporter!

Originally Posted by CHICKS
I installed my Kicker sub from Rogel, it does & will work, not one issue!

I have the Nav & Sony 700W system.
Originally Posted by LUVmyDUX
Thank you so much for this thread! I'm going to order that sub and get rid of my weak Sony sub.
No problem & you're welcome!
Yea, it's funny that they advertise the Sony system as: 700W when it's not even close. If I remember, someone in another thread (MCDavis I believe) stated that the actual amp that powers the 8" Sony sub is only around 80W.
So jumping to the Kicker 10" & being powered from a 200W amp is a huge improvement.
Rogel Ford (08-18-2015)

Quick Reply: Kicker “Substage” & “Powerstage” for Sony equipped 2009-2014 F150’s