Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just making sure this is normal...

Old 04-09-2014, 03:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just making sure this is normal...

Hey all. I've been a long time lurker on this site and thanks to you all helped me decide on my '13 Fx2 Screw which I purchased in November. I've got about 8K miles on it now, mostly highway, however, I have a question of MPG's and it reads on my truck. I've read through a lot of posts about our truck's MPG's, but none seem to address what I've seen. First off, I'm not expecting it to be a honda civic by any means, but I will try and describe what I've been seeing to see if this is normal behavior.

I've got the Ecoboost engine - My computer tells me i'm averaging about 17.9 mpg which is completely fine to me. However, and excuse me for being a noob here, I notice that at certain times and points, my "miles to empty" can be erratic. I live in Atlanta and its just now been getting warm, but in the mornings when I went to work in the winter, I would remote start my truck to get it warm. After about 5 or so minutes, maybe more, I'd jump in and head out. Within the first 30 or so minutes, I can see my miles-to-empty just depleting rapidly. If I start out at say 150, in about 5 minutes, I could be under 100 or even 80. Whenever it stops sucking down gas, it will stay at number range for awhile...as if balancing out sort of. Is this normal? Is this because of the cold? Another thing is today, the truck was already warm and I started the truck and I had 83 miles till empty. I drive for about a minute and I glance down and I'm at 70. I hadn't floored it and there's no way I drove 13 miles! And finally, I've noticed that once the low fuel notification comes on, around 50 or so miles to empty, it seems to drink more and more gas and that miles to empty goes down in no time. Is that thing accurate? Is everything fine?

Now being new to this, if I'm 'averaging' 17.9 miles to the gallon, technically and depending on driving habits and conditions, shouldn't I be able to drive almost 18 miles before I lose a gallon on my miles to empty indicator. I dont know how the inner workings of these trucks, so I was just wondering. Thanks for any and all answers. I love my truck regardless!
Old 04-09-2014, 04:09 PM
FX4 SCrew TT'd V6

Received 125 Likes on 91 Posts

It is judging how many miles left by your AVG MPG and the fuel level in your tank. If your driveway or where you park is on any incline, it will throw it off quite a bit.

IT is normal.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:17 PM
Boost :)

Received 440 Likes on 328 Posts

I back into my driveway and it is on an incline. I was sitting in the truck with it running for about 10 minutes today while I was getting my laptop ready for some datalogging and at the end of that 10 minutes suddenly the Fuel Low warning comes on and says I have less than 40 miles to empty.

I drove it for about 40 minutes while getting the logs done and I was back up to about 160 miles to empty and no more light.

It will move around and fluctuate a lot. Also keep in mind that it does NOT calculate when it is idling after you remote start it. So the more it idles before you put the key in, the less accurate the mileage will be.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:30 PM

Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Yea if you're parked on an incline rear end DOWN... The fuel level reads higher. As the guy above me said. .. Nose down hill reads lower and after driving it adjusts it correctly.

Another thing that happened to me...Like 2 or 3 times in the 4 years I owned my 2009 I was on empty or close to it. Fueled up and left and my mileage to e was still under 40. Fuel Guage still showed e. I pulled over, shut of the truck and started it back up and it was correct
Old 04-09-2014, 08:06 PM

Gotcha. I thought I was going crazy! Sometimes it'll just go down and I'm not even stomping on the gas, or in the mornings when its below 60 and I start off, it appears just to be drinking gas like no other. I just wanted to make sure this was normal behavior. Thanks guys for the replies.
Old 05-21-2014, 04:26 PM

Ok, maybe I'm just crazy or still new to this truck thing. This morning, I put gas in and it said 444 miles to empty and I'm pulling back in to my house and it says 184. I know for a fact I didn't drive over 250 miles today. A little over 100 tops. I do mostly highway driving and stay in the 70mph range. Every now and then I might ride with the AC on, but my field consumption just seems a bit high. Is the mi to E icon true or accurate? I could just watch the numbers drop every 20 seconds or so. Should I be concerned or is this normal behavior? I just want to make sure I don't need to take it to the dealer to be looked at. Sorry for the paranoia lol.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:21 PM
2018 FX4 2.7L Super Crew

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Yeah that doesn't sound right at all.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:44 AM
Ford Customer Service

Received 805 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by Fx2AllBlack
Ok, maybe I'm just crazy or still new to this truck thing. This morning, I put gas in and it said 444 miles to empty and I'm pulling back in to my house and it says 184. I know for a fact I didn't drive over 250 miles today. A little over 100 tops...
You might want to mention this the next time you're at your dealer for a maintenance visit, Fx2AllBlack. They'll check things out and recommend any next steps, if needed. Let us know what you hear. How many miles do you have on your truck?

Crystal
Old 05-22-2014, 04:11 PM
Five-0 Ret.

Received 674 Likes on 578 Posts

I've gotta agree with [MENTION=134497]marrs1721[/MENTION], that does sound crazy. If possible keep us updated on what the dealer finds. Good luck.

Just a thought. Have you tired resetting the mpg's screens back to zero, and start over. I have no idea if that will work, but one never knows.

Last edited by Wanted33; 05-22-2014 at 04:19 PM.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:39 PM

I finally got around to taking it to the shop when I got my oil change and I asked the technician and he said that it's an "adaptive" system or engine and that it's still learning my driving habits. I only have 12K miles on it so he said in the next 5K-10K miles, it should even out and be more consistent. I even showed them a picture of when I put gas in my truck 3 exits up and it said 344 Mi to E and drive it 10 minutes to the shop and it was down to 292. I said no way I drove 50 miles in 10 minutes! But hopefully as he said it's trying to figure out my habits and will equalize itself in the near future. Thanks for all the comments!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just making sure this is normal...