Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just installed Adarac with my Undercover Flex

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 09:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Talking Just installed Adarac with my Undercover Flex

And it works. It's close, very very close. The Adarac has to be configured for all the way back flush with the tailgate, and the rear rack has to be at the back, but you can open and close the Undercover flex with it just rubbing against the Flex's weatherstripping. If you give it a little twist it totally clears the side bars.

A few hairy moments when starting to cut into the stake pockets, but pretty much nailed them. Highly recommend using a heat gun to warm up the plastic and it cuts way easier, especially if you're in Canada where it's only +4C right now.

So, for you folks that want a ladder rack for hauling Kayaks or whatever and still want your Flex.. I can happily confirm it works!

Very very happy.
Attached Thumbnails Just installed Adarac with my Undercover Flex-img_3476.jpg  
Old 01-10-2017, 10:13 AM

Thank you! I was searching for this exact setup and couldn't find it anywhere else. Do you ever haul bicycles? I'm curious since you have the setup that I just ordered what seems to work the best without having to reconfigure the bed too much. I'm considering just standing the bike on top of the flex and using straps from the handlebars to the adarac slats. Do you think that would work or have an alternative? Thanks again!
Old 01-11-2017, 12:09 AM

Received 2,101 Likes on 1,725 Posts

How about this for bikes: put some sort of bar across into the stake holes. Put bike fork mounts into that bar and mount the bikes right over the tonneau. Front wheels can just go inside the bed. Security is an issue no matter how you mount them, consider that, also.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:16 AM

I like that idea, I would just modify it so that the bar goes across and connects to the rails of the adarac system since I'll likely always leave those rails on.... Good idea!
Old 01-11-2017, 11:39 AM

I have a hitch rack that I use for the bikes most of the time. For short trips with just bikes I'll put our chariot under the fold down panel at the front of the box and just lay the rest of the bikes across the bed with the front tires turned. Or sometimes I'll take the front tires off and then the bikes fit across no problem.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:57 PM

Received 2,101 Likes on 1,725 Posts

I actually use both. I have a 4 bike hitch mount when needed. And I had already made a super-high-tech bed divider out of a 2x8 (or maybe 2x6). I later put two fork mounts on top of that board so I can take fewer without making the truck even longer. They even fit under my topper when it's on.
Old 01-19-2017, 02:00 PM
KJT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by codetrap
And it works. It's close, very very close. The Adarac has to be configured for all the way back flush with the tailgate, and the rear rack has to be at the back, but you can open and close the Undercover flex with it just rubbing against the Flex's weatherstripping. If you give it a little twist it totally clears the side bars.

A few hairy moments when starting to cut into the stake pockets, but pretty much nailed them. Highly recommend using a heat gun to warm up the plastic and it cuts way easier, especially if you're in Canada where it's only +4C right now.

So, for you folks that want a ladder rack for hauling Kayaks or whatever and still want your Flex.. I can happily confirm it works!

Very very happy.
Can you please post more pics of your rack system and hard tonneau cover. Perhaps from the rear showing the clearance you have between the uprights. You did confirm your able to open with minor rubbing. I want to buy the same rack cause the other bakflip racks are just too expensive. I have a 2016 so this might be a different install. I did hear one member say he has to open the second panel for the first panel to clear the uprights.

Thanks
Old 01-23-2017, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by KJT
Can you please post more pics of your rack system and hard tonneau cover. Perhaps from the rear showing the clearance you have between the uprights. You did confirm your able to open with minor rubbing. I want to buy the same rack cause the other bakflip racks are just too expensive. I have a 2016 so this might be a different install. I did hear one member say he has to open the second panel for the first panel to clear the uprights. Thanks
I don't have the crossbars installed at this time since it's winter. I used it all summer long though to carry my Kayaks and didn't have any issues with the Adarac and my Undercover Flex. There's more than enough play in the Flex joints to not have to do anything fancy while opening and closing it. The rubbing that occurs isn't doesn't push on the Flex, and it's only on the loose ended weatherstripping on the sides. I haven't noticed any out of the ordinary wear on it at all. It's all pretty much evenly wearing along the Flex.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:53 AM

I've attached another couple of pics...
Attached Thumbnails Just installed Adarac with my Undercover Flex-img_3488.jpeg   Just installed Adarac with my Undercover Flex-capture.jpg  
Old 01-23-2017, 11:17 AM
KJT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you, that's what I wanted to hear and nice truck, I have the same colour too . I think I'm going with this system. One more question, is your bed cover a soft cover like in the picture ? I think with a little manipulation I should be able to open and close my hard cover.

Thanks again

Quick Reply: Just installed Adarac with my Undercover Flex