Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JL's 2k13 FX4 Build... Bigger and Better

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 12:44 AM
In Dale we trust.

Received 165 Likes on 109 Posts

Default JL's 2k13 FX4 Build... Bigger and Better

Hey y'all, long time no see.

I used to frequently use this forum to find great ideas and parts when I was building up my 09 XLT a few years ago, and now I'm back for more. I recently traded in my ole faithful 09 in. She ran true until the day I traded her in, basically grew up in that truck. Drove it a solid 100,000 miles and put a lot of blood sweat and tears into it. But as a nice upgrade, I got myself a 2013 Tuxedo Black FX4! This time around I'm not a teenager struggling to get by, I've got my career well started and I''m able to afford to do things a little less ghetto. Before I bore you to death with my life story, here's some pictures

Here's the before of my first F150 some 6 years ago

Some 2-3 years later after many, many changes

January 2015 I moved to San Antonio to run Wireline for Halliburton. As much as I absolutely loved the job, the industry is in too much of a slump for me to stay at such a young age. Not only that, but...

Back in April of this year, it hailed extremely bad here in San Antonio. I got a job as a steep/high roof inspector for wind and hail damage. Pay is actually insanely better than the oilfield, I love it! That truck ended up making me a ton of money before I traded in.

I went with the 2013 for a few reasons. I work out of this truck, I almost bought a new 2016, but before I pulled the trigger I talked myself out of it. No need for a brand new truck to work out of. I went next door and got the exact truck I've wanted and I honestly couldn't be happier. I still love this body style, love the 5.0 motor (I like the ecoboost, I just don't love it enough to get one). This body style just feels comfortable to me, I know it's every blind spot, but compared to my old XLT this is straight luxury. I have huge visions for this truck. I did my old truck 100% how I wanted it done, I felt it wasn't too over the top, but it stood out. This time around I have an open canvas, a fun motor to play with, and a huge itch to scratch.

So this thread is basically just here to help myself track the progress of this build, and to ask you great people of the internet questions about parts, ideas, general BS, all that good stuff! Just an easy going build thread that should be a lot of fun to track. Cheers!

***If you'd like to see my last thread with a bunch of pictures, please check the thread out!***

JL's 09 F-150 Truck Build (Pic Heavy)

Last edited by JLonsinger2011; 09-05-2016 at 03:02 PM.
Old 09-04-2016, 01:14 AM
In Dale we trust.

Oh, and I got to keep the 35 inch BFG's on the XD rims, they're at the parents house up in Dallas. Threw the old stockers on the old truck before I traded in!
Old 09-04-2016, 07:06 AM
Village Sociopath

Received 10,073 Likes on 6,507 Posts

I love clean slates, let's my imagination go.
So, what's the first mod?
A suggestion, keep the KO2s, but go with something machined and black, other than all black wheels. That alone will be a step up from the crowd.

Last edited by johnday in BFE; 09-04-2016 at 07:08 AM.
Old 09-04-2016, 10:26 AM
In Dale we trust.

Yeah I definitely want to go another route for the rims, the XDs were like $700 for all 4 and thats what I could afford back in the day haha.

There's such a big laundry list of stuff to get done, but the first big mod will probably be an exhaust. I used to have the flowmaster 40 series with magnaflow cats, and as wicked as that sounded, just a little too rowdy.

I was looking at going Borla, again wanted to go with that the first time but the price point made the decision, that and I wanted loud when I was young. How do you like your Borla on your 5.0 John?
Old 09-04-2016, 10:51 AM
Village Sociopath

Originally Posted by JLonsinger2011
Yeah I definitely want to go another route for the rims, the XDs were like $700 for all 4 and thats what I could afford back in the day haha.

There's such a big laundry list of stuff to get done, but the first big mod will probably be an exhaust. I used to have the flowmaster 40 series with magnaflow cats, and as wicked as that sounded, just a little too rowdy.

I was looking at going Borla, again wanted to go with that the first time but the price point made the decision, that and I wanted loud when I was young. How do you like your Borla on your 5.0 John?
I really, really, really like that Borla!! I had a drone/noise maker Roush originally, biggest waste I ever did to date.
The Borla, fits like a glove, ALL 304 stainless, great workmanship. The SType they sell now, uses the ATAK muffler, with a resonator, so if the SType isn't loud enough, you can remove the resonator, and replace it with a mid pipe.
Totally ZERO drone. You can hear it at expressway speeds, but it's just a nice rumble. Put your foot in it, and it'll turn heads. At idle, it's a nice rumble, not noise, but definetly louder than stock.
The ATAK muffler is a packed type muffler. What happens, the more you heat it up, and the longer, the packing tends to settle out, and the sound just gets better.
My salesman, who also offers mods on new trucks off/on the lot, had my truck for a couple days to install my coilovers. He, and the mechanics, loved it! Since, he's recommended it to others.
IIRC, Borla is actually the maker of the Ford parts performance exhaust on these trucks, only the tips say Ford, instead of Borla.
I've had many compliments on that exhaust, including a few GM guys.
Costs some bucks, but I don't think you'd ever regret it.
One thing I really like, the sound is all behind you, you're not constantly being beat with decibels.
Do yourself a favor, just spring the bucks for the Borla, instead of the less costly systems, the ones most go for. IMO, and experience, it ain't worth the time and expense, especially when you try modifying those systems to get a truly livable exhaust.
But to each their own.
Old 09-04-2016, 11:05 AM
In Dale we trust.

Yeah I'm going in a bit of a different direction with this one, so the Borla is right there on top of the list. FLowmaster/magnaflow was my 18 year old exhaust choice, Borla is the 23 year old choice haha. I also want to break into this motor and do some mods on it as well, so I feel like pairing it with the Borla only makes sense. If there's one thing that I learned from my last build, its to just do it the right way the first time.
Old 09-04-2016, 11:27 AM
In Dale we trust.

So here's a little list of stuff I'd like to do

-Obviously throw the tires and exhaust on.
-I definitely want a small lift. Nothing too huge and over the top, all I want is a little more height for functionality and a bit of aesthetics.
-I want to get solid shocks all around, the King coilovers, but those are reeeeeeeal rich in price...
- tuner, of course.
-My old 30 inch light bar actually got stolen, so I can't put that on this truck, but I have 2 rigid duallys that will get back on the rig, as well as some more aux lighting.
-Really wanting to go with some prerunner bumpers down the road.
-Need a flush mount tool box so I can hold tools and all in something other than my back seat.
- Other than that I'll eventually start tearing into the engine and modding it up, I want this truck to be absolutely nasty.
Old 09-04-2016, 02:01 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What size are the ko2 you were running on your 09? Any rubbing issues? I glanced through your other build thread but gave up attempting to find this info through all those pages.
Old 09-04-2016, 04:11 PM
Village Sociopath

Originally Posted by JLonsinger2011
Yeah I'm going in a bit of a different direction with this one, so the Borla is right there on top of the list. FLowmaster/magnaflow was my 18 year old exhaust choice, Borla is the 23 year old choice haha. I also want to break into this motor and do some mods on it as well, so I feel like pairing it with the Borla only makes sense. If there's one thing that I learned from my last build, its to just do it the right way the first time.
That last sentence right there says it all. I am guilty of not always following that, but usually do.
Mustang GT cams and intake? Long tube headers? Screw the cats? OMG!!! I can hear it now!!!!! I'm getting the quivers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup :
Old 09-04-2016, 05:24 PM
In Dale we trust.

Originally Posted by Blownfour
What size are the ko2 you were running on your 09? Any rubbing issues? I glanced through your other build thread but gave up attempting to find this info through all those pages.
My bad, haven't updated that thread in a long time due to it being archived. I believe they are 295/70/18, they sit right under 35 inch. Had a little rubbing on the wheel well with the 2 inch level but nothing awful.

Originally Posted by johnday
That last sentence right there says it all. I am guilty of not always following that, but usually do.
Mustang GT cams and intake? Long tube headers? Screw the cats? OMG!!! I can hear it now!!!!! I'm getting the quivers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup :

Haha you already know! I drive this thing every day, already put a thousand miles on it in the week I've had it. Might as well make it a blast! Not sure what combination I want to go with yet.

Honestly I'm going to work on the appearance first, because I'm used to driving a rig that stood out, it's killing me that there's nothing really special to my truck yet!

That being said, I think I want to work on the suspension and exhaust first. I need to figure out what I want to do in order to fit my old tires. I had a 2 inch level and an add a leaf on the last one, loved how it sat but hated how bad it made my swing arms and bearings wear. Wanting to just get a whole new shock, something nice, that I can use if I decide to lift. Is that even an option?

Last edited by JLonsinger2011; 09-04-2016 at 05:31 PM.

Quick Reply: JL's 2k13 FX4 Build... Bigger and Better